my favorite Cadets shows

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s on YouTube. Remove if not permitted.  Never much thought about Garfield until I saw this and I was mesmerized every year afterwards.  

This show is on my list of faves - saw a lot of them that year b/c I was marching with 2-7.  Just a fun show to watch and listen to.

• Like 3

And im choking up, Im sure going to miss them. !!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, gak27 said:

This show is on my list of faves - saw a lot of them that year b/c I was marching with 2-7.  Just a fun show to watch and listen to.

Other shows on my list (regardless of how they fared competitively or where they COULD have finished "if only"...):

2015 - Power of 10:  so much of it was appealing and very well done

2013 - Side by Side: loved the design idea - imagery, staging, movement

2011 - Between Angels and Demons: just spectacular, may be my favorite 'recent' show of theirs

1992 - To Tame the Perilous Skies - so well conceived and executed

1986 - the outlier for a lot of people, but I simply adored this show, especially the fast-paced portion with the fabric "frames" weaving amongst the rest of the corps.

• Like 3

My personal Cadets favorites - 

1989 - Les Miserables - the first Cadets show I ever saw, and an absolute masterpiece.  They brought their incredibly sophisticated writing to more popular fare than what they had been known for, and the result was incredible.  Not the cleanest show ever, but it had all of the classic Cadets artistry.

1990 - A Bernstein Celebration - The most appealing part of this show was that it was really just a "best of" compliation - Candide, West Side Story, Mass.  What's not to like?  They made the show look sneaky easy too, and it was anything but; that's what won them the title.

1995 - An American Quintet - John Williams on the field is never a bad thing, and the Cadets did justice turning a number of his movie scores into a cohesive whole.  The drum feature is absolutely epic, and it was silly how effortless they made it seem (drummers know better).  Also some of the first use of props in DCI.

2000 - A We Are the Future - an absolutely dominating show that felt like it steamrolled everything around it.  You could tell watching them that it was just a corps at the absolute top of their game every time out.  That drumline should be considered for the DCI Mount Rushmore.  

2015 - The Power of Ten.  Saw them in San Antonio and thought they were a legit dark horse for the title.  The brass and drum books were so overpowering.  It didn't keep up visually, but man that's one hell of a show to go back and listen to.

Mike

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

82 changed the game. 83 expanded it. 82 never gets enough love, but i love it.

84....yup. 87 oh yes. 89 OMG! 93 oh yes. 98 too. 2000....oh yes. 05 has grown on me. 11 Sacktigs masterpiece. 13.i'll even throw love to 80 and 81.

Love me some Rocky Point Holiday and West Side Story was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kopeck said:

Love me some Rocky Point Holiday and West Side Story was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

The 2021 unjudged show was terrific - we got to hear RPH with a modern brassline (and recording equipment!), and it was awesome.  

• Like 2