Post on Reddit about SoA

8 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Then the communication coming out of DCI should be more clear?

And this didn't address any of my other concerns.

Got it. Cool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmurrey74 said:

There’s some people that will never be satisfied or convinced that it’s enough.  That’s fine, but it’s a huge improvement over what existed five years ago. I’m not sure what more could be done right now but making the minimum age 18 would be best in my mind. 

Raising the minimum age to 18 wouldn't solve the problem of sexual abuse completely, but it would help.  Hate to have to do it, but under the circumstances I'd be all for it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rmurrey74 said:

The safe sport training is activity wide. As a staff member, the amount of training I receive is far and beyond what I have to do for any other activity I’m involved in. (Coaching youth baseball and volunteering with the high school musicals for set construction).  It’s also far more than our 15 minute sexual harassment training taken yearly for work.  It’s probably never enough, but there’s frequent reminders, spelled out in my teaching contracts, in separate policy documents. It’s taken very seriously by the two drum corps I have recently taught and I’ve heard no different from my friends and past members teaching across the activity.

There’s some people that will never be satisfied or convinced that it’s enough.  That’s fine, but it’s a huge improvement over what existed five years ago. I’m not sure what more could be done right now but making the minimum age 18 would be best in my mind. 

How does SafeSport handle points of contact for reporting? I was at a govt agency and for us it was 1)supervisor 2) person in agency who handles reporting 3) national reporting line. Use 3 if 1 and 2 are the problems or you don’t trust them to handle the problem correctly. We had hour of anti sexual harassment and another hour of anti sexual assault training yearly. Consisted of mostly what not to do, what to do if harassed/assaulted and how and who to contact for help

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Raising the minimum age to 18 wouldn't solve the problem of sexual abuse completely, but it would help.  Hate to have to do it, but under the circumstances I'd be all for it. 

But what would 18 do. Allegedly the accusations were made by many over 18 but still members. What people don't talk about much is member to member issues or member doing their hardest to get to some staff. Now one can easily say staff should know better which would be a very true statement BUT remember some staff can also be very young. If there are those who believe this part is  rare is only fooling themselves. I've seen it and had to deal with it not just in the summer but on the WGI level.

It is a directors job to NOT just leave things to staff to watch ( which can be the cat watching the canary  ) but to put their foot down and be willing to lose either a staff person or a member who doesn't comply with the rules in EVERY aspect. A good director isn't just a figure head to make speeches and pep talks but one who serves, and protects all involved and the integrity of the corps or winter programs.  JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

But what would 18 do. Allegedly the accusations were made by many over 18 but still members. What people don't talk about much is member to member issues or member doing their hardest to get to some staff. Now one can easily say staff should know better which would be a very true statement BUT remember some staff can also be very young. If there are those who believe this part is  rare is only fooling themselves. I've seen it and had to deal with it not just in the summer but on the WGI level.

It is a directors job to NOT just leave things to staff to watch ( which can be the cat watching the canary  ) but to put their foot down and be willing to lose either a staff person or a member who doesn't comply with the rules in EVERY aspect. A good director isn't just a figure head to make speeches and pep talks but one who serves, and protects all involved and the integrity of the corps or winter programs.  JMO

This is why changing age requirements isn't ideal.

Clearly outlining what's expected of each age group and holding them accountable is best practice.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

It would protect those under 18.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Having raised 4 kids and now watching my grandkids grow up, there is a BIG difference in emotional maturity between a 14/15-year-old and an 18-year-old – generally speaking.  An 18-year-old is much more equipped mentally and physically to be able to deal with, report, and say no potential physical, mental, and sexual abuse – be it member to member, or instructor to member.  It wouldn’t solve the problem in its entirety, but it would remove the most vulnerable from the clutches of the pervs that continually infect the activity.

In retrospect, what were/are we thinking?  Packing busloads of children, hormonal teenagers, and young adults, together for weeks at a time on the road cross-country in close quarters without much, if any parental supervision.  

And we wonder why this keeps happening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Then the communication coming out of DCI should be more clear?

And this didn't address any of my other concerns.

DCI communications less than clear?  Inconceivable!

<<sarcasm off>>

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Different youth sports leagues have age (both minimum & maximum) requirements.   So could DCI - Open Class (say) age 14 through 17; when you hit 18 then you are in World Class.  There would need to be cut off dates, just like there are currently for hitting age 22 during the season.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Raising age to 18 would mean everyone is a legal adult & able to consent thus getting rid of adult-minor ‘consensual’ (where minor is not legally allowed to consent) problems.   There would still be the problem of non-consent staff & member as well as non-consent member & member assaults.  

Raising age to 18 could help.  Not a 100% solution, but at least a partial solution.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1