Post on Reddit about SoA

35 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

The Navy should have been saying that saying back in 1991. The "Tailhook" scandal shook the Navy to its very foundation.

By the time I got to Boot Camp in 1997, we were receiving training and lectures on it. 

Yeah, I was in a grad school seminar in a fairly progressive school where a guest speaker from the Navy (recently retired) in 1993 was giving his two cents on why the forthcoming "Don't ask, don't tell" policy was a terrible idea because, "we have men as young as 18 joining the military and there might be perverts after them."  

A woman in the back stood up to presumably ask the next question and simply said, "Tailhook," and sat down.  

Navy guy shut up pretty fast.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Raising age to 18 would mean everyone is a legal adult & able to consent thus getting rid of adult-minor ‘consensual’ (where minor is not legally allowed to consent) problems.   There would still be the problem of non-consent staff & member as well as non-consent member & member assaults.  

Raising age to 18 could help.  Not a 100% solution, but at least a partial solution.  

An aside that in the majority of states the age of consent is actually 16, with another chunk being 17. Its only about a dozen states where the law is 18. And in those states there are typically close-in-age provisions that would apply to many relations between young adult members and minors. 

Not saying that because I think that relations should be encouraged between 16 year olds and 21 year olds or anything (certainly not, in fact corps having their own rules against it would be more than reasonable), but from a legal standpoint, this reduces the legal exposure as most members are above 16/17, and all but the widest age gaps between members would be legal in most states. 

Better to focus on something that's a problem even if you get rid of 16/17 year olds, non-consensual relations, assaults, and anything between members and staff (as they're in a position of authority and should always be forbidden).

Edited by AlexL

On 4/6/2024 at 10:37 AM, HockeyDad said:

Do you think it’s enough?

How about implementing this policy:  there shall be a minimum of TWO adults when in the presence of a sole minor. And, to the corps members, if you EVER come across one adult and one minor alone in private together, you are expected to report it to (insert the correct single point of contact) immediately.  All persons will be assumed innocent but out an abundance of caution we will investigate every occurrence. 

I suppose many will consider this “too hard” to implement. Well, how important to you is the activity’s survival?  Would you not take whatever measures are necessary?  This is a solid policy that is used in many organizations. 

That was considered a "best practice" in 2019 DCI - glad to see it's become mandatory for most groups.

Mike

31 minutes ago, MikeN said:

That was considered a "best practice" in 2019 DCI - glad to see it's become mandatory for most groups.

Mike

When my old church implemented protection policy mid 1990s. It was two adults regardless of number of youth. Policy written by the insurance company. Sad part was people who didn’t like it relented when we said it would save money,

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

When my old church implemented protection policy mid 1990s. It was two adults regardless of number of youth. Policy written by the insurance company. Sad part was people who didn’t like it relented when we said it would save money,

That standard is all over churches now as yes, it was written by legal teams in the employ of the insurance industry who then made it a stipulation of your insurance coverage for liability.  

Like most things in America, laws that legislate behavior can be tough to enforce but laws/policies that hit the pocketbook are more effective.  

• Like 1

As this thread has veered off-topic and no longer aligns with the intended discussion, it will be closed. We encourage members to initiate separate threads to explore topics such as age limits for drum corps, ensuring a focused and productive dialogue.

Thank you for your understanding.