The Romantics - Blue Devils 2024

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

What would be considered romantic era classical that you think BD could pull off?

I am interested to check it out.

Thanks in advance brother!

98 they sounded AMAZING playing Tchaikovsky.  Came right after a tremendous jazzy shows in 96/97.  

00 they sounded even better (imo) playing a bunch of Herrmann that had more of a romantic than modern feel.  That was after 99.  

Both of those were outliers to the jazz stuff they were most identified with.  Neither of those shows won, though....

But I think BD could pull off anything and sound great.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lance said:

pretty easy to pick out 3 or 50 conventions that every other top corps uses every year.  i could do it for boston and bloo, but i'm an adult.  

i'd love to see the top 3 from last year all change things up.  the formulas have gotten alittle stale to me even though i've liked the products. 

Boston isn’t winning year after year running the same playbook, but I digress.

BDs current run is like the Cavies using original music and crazy drill in the 2000s, and people were eventually ready for a change.  Lots of people are ready to see BD bring something new to the table. They are great enough to take a risk, imo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lance said:

98 they sounded AMAZING playing Tchaikovsky.  Came right after a tremendous jazzy shows in 96/97.  

00 they sounded even better (imo) playing a bunch of Herrmann that had more of a romantic than modern feel.  That was after 99.  

Both of those were outliers to the jazz stuff they were most identified with.  Neither of those shows won, though....

But I think BD could pull off anything and sound great.  

Ahh ok! You just taught me something! 

We were just discussing the 98 show I believe yesterday. The music from that year is slamming! BDs most underrated horn line (In my opinion) even though they won the Ott that year.

I think the 98 show gets lost in the sauce since it was sandwiched between BDs gold medal seasons 97 and 99. 

2000, one of my favorite BD shows of all time. Plain and simple. If BDs drums weren't a crutch, we could have had a legit three-way battle for gold finals night. 

51 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

I liked their show last year, and I’m sure they’ll do something great this year too. That said, I’m def ready to see them shakeup their formula.  Maybe they’ll experiment with not using a bunch of rolling props that become a stage, a running follow-the-leader entrance, and costume rip-aways this year. 

and i want them to do just all of those.. Yup

• Like 1

I hope BD does something out of the box so people can scratch their heads 😁

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

I hope BD does something out of the box so people can scratch their heads 😁

I do too. Because when they do, they are usually successful and we get a gem like “Methods of Madness.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

I do too. Because when they do, they are usually successful and we get a gem like “Methods of Madness.”

Yeah.. A few shows comes to mind. Which were your favorite out of the box BD shows that had you scratching your head and applauding at the same time ?

1 minute ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Yeah.. A few shows comes to mind. Which were your favorite out of the box BD shows that had you scratching your head and applauding at the same time ?

Unquestionably, “Methods of Madness” is my favorite.  That show and season was epic, and I remember being shocked seeing BD do something as dark and twisty. And man, they killed it. I was really hoping Ghostlight was going to be a return to the dark side, but it didn’t lean into it as much as I thought in pre-season.  I’d love to see BD dabble with gut wrenching minor cords again, coupled with their modern execution and show design. Ugh. It’d be the stuff dreams are made of. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:33 AM, craiga said:

Chief, you know by now, no whining and crying from me! Personally, I think they have a 60% chance of getting a "fourpeat".  But there are several teams who will also bring their A game this summer, so we'll see what happens!

Here is something for you. After watching F1 this weekend, who is more dominant right now, BD or Max Verstappen? 

• Haha 2

Lol!  Funny you should ask....for years, I have been comparing F1 racing to DCI'S Top Twelve!  Until recently however, I have referred to Lewis Hamilton (Team Mercedes) as the Blue Devils of that sport.  Incredible organization,  limitless funding,  and unbridled winning.  Max Verstappen is now surging in the sport....hmmm...perhaps the BAC of F1, Chief??  😀

• Haha 3