Pre-Spring Move Ins Predictions

6 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Thank goodness they did it first this year. An absolute unexpected treat!  Kudos to Bluecoats leadership for that surprise. 👍👍👍👍👍

I love having more reasons to get psyched for Bloo's 2024 show!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NewArpege said:

Thank goodness they did it first this year. An absolute unexpected treat!  Kudos to Bluecoats leadership for that surprise. 👍👍👍👍👍

Troopers announce early & now everyone else is playing catch-up.  😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

I love having more reasons to get psyched for Bloo's 2024 show!

I’m soooo happy with their song selection. And also, it seems like them are moving past their psychedelic phase.  What they put out so far seems like a very strong cohesive concept, capable of competing for top spot. 

I fully expect they are doing something about playing with blocks or jenga, which is like Bloos answer to The Cutouts. 

Edited by NewArpege
  • Like 1

I think Bluecoats are going to have an absolute killer-fun show. As with many of the recent years I expect them to contend or be close. 

I am excited for Blue Devils as always. Obviously I expect them to be amazing and to contend as they always do, and seeing that BD polish live, in person is a sight to behold.  I also hope the show is as fun as last season or even more so. 

Looking forward to hearing the music Carolina will be playing, and same with Boston.  I absolutely LOVED Boston's music last summer. Same with Carolina. From just a music perspective those may have been my two favorite music books. 

Probably the biggest question that will be on the minds of many fans is will SCV be closer to the top 4 (maybe in the top 4) or are they closer to the 5-8 crowd? I have to believe camps have gone well. The corps, despite the financial issues (etc.), is still one of the biggest brands in DCI. If the show is designed and developed well then I have to believe they can compete at a high level. Or will the likes of Mandarins, Phantom, Cavaliers be too much for a corps that had to take a year off? 

I loved the Mandarins show last year and look forward to this summer. I also have a feeling the Cavaliers are going to be HOT this summer. Maybe a dark-horse for top 5. I always love me some Phantom Regiment. Just like last year and the year before I think the 5-9, even 5-10 matchups are going to be incredible. And with Troopers recruiting popularity over the recent years and their surge in ranking and quality (not to mention Colts, PC and others) I think it's from 5th to 15th that we are in for a treat this summer. 

The only real predictions I can make now is that Blue Devils will contend. I think Bluecoats will be in the mix, as will Carolina and Boston. But I am curious to get a read on SCV. Good luck to all the corps as we head toward the spring training in May. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I think Bluecoats are going to have an absolute killer-fun show. As with many of the recent years I expect them to contend or be close. 

I am excited for Blue Devils as always. Obviously I expect them to be amazing and to contend as they always do, and seeing that BD polish live, in person is a sight to behold.  I also hope the show is as fun as last season or even more so. 

Looking forward to hearing the music Carolina will be playing, and same with Boston.  I absolutely LOVED Boston's music last summer. Same with Carolina. From just a music perspective those may have been my two favorite music books. 

Probably the biggest question that will be on the minds of many fans is will SCV be closer to the top 4 (maybe in the top 4) or are they closer to the 5-8 crowd? I have to believe camps have gone well. The corps, despite the financial issues (etc.), is still one of the biggest brands in DCI. If the show is designed and developed well then I have to believe they can compete at a high level. Or will the likes of Mandarins, Phantom, Cavaliers be too much for a corps that had to take a year off? 

I loved the Mandarins show last year and look forward to this summer. I also have a feeling the Cavaliers are going to be HOT this summer. Maybe a dark-horse for top 5. I always love me some Phantom Regiment. Just like last year and the year before I think the 5-9, even 5-10 matchups are going to be incredible. And with Troopers recruiting popularity over the recent years and their surge in ranking and quality (not to mention Colts, PC and others) I think it's from 5th to 15th that we are in for a treat this summer. 

The only real predictions I can make now is that Blue Devils will contend. I think Bluecoats will be in the mix, as will Carolina and Boston. But I am curious to get a read on SCV. Good luck to all the corps as we head toward the spring training in May. 

Re SCV - ‘Brand’ should have NOTHING to do with placement.  What should matter is the product on the field.  Nothing else. The design and performance is what should determine where SCV places.  They have top-notch staff. The question I have is what level of talent there is.  I can see them placing anywhere from 14th-7th.  But wherever they end up, it should be based on the performance on the field, not ‘Brand’. 

<<rant off>>

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Punct.u.ation
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Re SCV - ‘Brand’ should have NOTHING to do with placement.  What should matter is the product on the field.  Nothing else. The design and performance is what should determine where SCV places.  They have top-notch staff. The question I have is what level of talent there is.  I can see them placing anywhere from 14th-7th.  But wherever they end up, it should be based on the performance on the field, not ‘Brand’. 

<<rant off>>

I read the reference to SCV having a strong “brand” as meaning they are capable of good staff retention (which seems to be the case) and robust recruitment. I agree that if these and strong show design and execution lead to strong performances, that would be the only valid basis for strong placement. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Maybe the tread should be..."what corp could dethrone BD from the top." Right now BD is the big favorite and everyone else it's 2-12.

Exactly. And I will take it a step further. Even if someone does manage to knock it off BD this year (And it could very well happen) can that same corps or someone else comeback and beat BD again in 2025? 

Because even if BD loses this year, we know what happens the following year, place your bets for BD to comeback and molly whop the competition in 2025.

Sure, someone will take brass, drums, or even take GE from the Devils, and good for them. Deserved and earned.

But until we see it otherwise on a consistent basis, BD is the favorite to win it all every year, and they are in a tier of their own, whether people like it or want to accept it or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Maybe the tread should be..."what corp could dethrone BD from the top." Right now BD is the big favorite and everyone else it's 2-12.

Bingo. Can’t wait to see all the concepts and take some guesses. Bloo seems strong rn and they are perhaps best positioned to make a move. 

Im yearning for BAC and Crown news of their concepts. Hearing that Crown is doing a dark show with original John Mackey music has peaked my interest there bc it indicates their book is aggressive and fun.  Should make for a great season.