1991: The year of Midwest domination and the last time the Devils finished 5th

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 5:24 PM, Chief Guns said:

IMO, BDs 1991 brass is the best of all time, coupled with arguably BDs worst drumline, finished 9th that year? Yikes!

ScoJo going to SCV in 1990 might have had a lot to do with that. 

Yeah, quite a few vets and instructors didn't return in '91 when Float left after '90. The line that ended up marching was just kind of thrown together. Not bad considering how green that line was. Also ended up being Rennick's lone stint with BD. I actually really liked the book, but yeah they just lacked the chops.

A lot of great shows in '91, watching a taping of the broadcast of it the following year is what got me to start marching in '93.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 2

My DCI rookie year with Sky Ryders. I loved so many of the shows that year. 

Speaking of Regiment— if you look closely at the end, you can see the glint of Tim throwing his euph after the last cutoff. (As I remember hearing the story, he had a bet with Nikk over a case of beer.)

• Haha 3

I was at finals, side 2 lower deck top row about 25 yard line.  Bunch of Argonne Rebels around me.  Our consensus, based on performance that evening, was that Cavaliers won, SCV 2nd, Phantom 3rd, Star 4th (they did not have a good finals performance, Rondo said as much on broadcast), & BD/Cadets 5/6.  

This was when I figured out that judges were rewarding design & overall season, not the actual performance at finals. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 2:30 PM, MikeZ said:

Star did not outright win a single caption as announced at finals. Multiple ties in captions (including one 3-way tie), but no outright win. May be the last time that has happened. Bluecoats only won effect in 2016.

I am having no luck finding a recap from finals online. A quick Google search is turning nothing up. Guess I should not have pitched out all of those Drumcorps Worlds years and years ago.

Z

Dude. fromthepressbox.com is your best friend. It's all there. Yes, Star tied for GE (Regiment), Percussion (Vanguard and Cavaliers) and Brass (Devils).

Well, I was late to the game here, but whatever.  

To me, Star had the best show hands down. The musical and visual demands, when coupled together, provided a level of demand that no one else matched. It was also so effective - it wasn't just demand for the sake of demand, which I appreciated. 

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Dude. fromthepressbox.com is your best friend. It's all there. Yes, Star tied for GE (Regiment), Percussion (Vanguard and Cavaliers) and Brass (Devils).

Well, I was late to the game here, but whatever.  

To me, Star had the best show hands down. The musical and visual demands, when coupled together, provided a level of demand that no one else matched. It was also so effective - it wasn't just demand for the sake of demand, which I appreciated. 

I agree Star had best design/demand.  But they didn’t perform it very well finals night. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Funny remembering just how naive the 19 year old me was heading into that season regarding big time drum corps.   So many randomly awesome and interesting memories of my first year in a World Class corps.  A few humorous highlights.

January-first camp:  distinctly remember arriving late due to my flight connection out of O'Hare.  Being handed a horn and told to just step into the line while they were playing lip slurs.  Trying not to look around and wonder, "how many of these guys were on the field in '88?!"  Getting nose bleeds throughout the weekend b/c my blood was so thin (southern boy) and it was so darn cold.

February/March:  Being introduced to Rocky Rococo's pizza, Mickey's Malt Liquor, Taco John's, Parthenon Gyros on State Street.  Meeting guys I'd viewed as gods and slowly realizing they were as full of crap as me.  Being welcomed from day 1.  Discovering that:

1. UW guys talking crap to MSU guys

2.MSU guys running their mouths of UM guys

3. UM guys clapping back at both UW and MSU

4. UMN guys ribbing UW and the UW guys just dismissing them out of hand

5. IL guys trying desperately to join the conversation and getting dog piled by everyone!

6. Me: "Kentucky is my school".  Getting the side eye from everyone basically saying, "stay out of this junior and let the adults talk college sports". 

Holy crap it's still freaking cold!

April:  My first Madison basics block ### kicking - having the horn "beat me" for the first and only time and swearing I'd never let it happen ever again. 

Yep, still freaking cold!  Is that snow still on the ground??!!  In freaking April??!!

May/June:  move in, staying at The regent with Mondays free from rehearsal!  My nice southern "twang" getting bastardized by those crazy talking midwesterners (specifically MN).  Getting my corps jacket the Monday of Memorial Day weekend and just staring at myself in the mirror wearing it not quite believing it's really mine. 

Holy crap, where did this heat come from??!!  Does Wisconsin not have Spring??!! 

Edited by scout9193
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, scout9193 said:

Holy crap, where did this heat come from??!!  Does Wisconsin not have Spring??!! 

Number five is entirely believable.

It goes directly from frostbite to inferno mosquito hellscape in one day. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I agree Star had best design/demand.  But they didn’t perform it very well finals night. 

They certainly had a better show in quarters and semis, but they still performed at an exceptionally high level on finals night. To me, it wasn't close - they were the undisputed champion. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, scout9193 said:

Funny remembering just how naive the 19 year old me was heading into that season regarding big time drum corps.   So many randomly awesome and interesting memories of my first year in a World Class corps.  A few humorous highlights.

Thanks for sharing. Man Rocky Rococo's - I miss it so much. I still have a friend in Minneapolis who sends me a photo every time he's there. I get so jealous. Every time.

I lived in the Madison area, so didn't live in the Regent when I marched, but spent time there for sure. I was always jealous of the guys who got to live there. It was so fun hanging out there. I had forgotten all about the Regent until I read this. Now you got me all sad 🙂

Yes, winter turns to summer quick in Wisconsin, but what are you complaining for? The summer of '88 was one of the hottest on record. Practicing on the MATC asphalt was a challenging, and touring in the south that summer was like touring in the Sahara. But, of course, it was a smashing year!

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

Thanks for sharing. Man Rocky Rococo's - I miss it so much. I still have a friend in Minneapolis who sends me a photo every time he's there. I get so jealous. Every time.

I lived in the Madison area, so didn't live in the Regent when I marched, but spent time there for sure. I was always jealous of the guys who got to live there. It was so fun hanging out there. I had forgotten all about the Regent until I read this. Now you got me all sad 🙂

Yes, winter turns to summer quick in Wisconsin, but what are you complaining for? The summer of '88 was one of the hottest on record. Practicing on the MATC asphalt was a challenging, and touring in the south that summer was like touring in the Sahara. But, of course, it was a smashing year!

Rocky Rococo Madison< Papa Del’s Champaign 

• Thanks 1