Best Sop Player

Early 1970's...Red from Oswego Black Knights. A Sax player who wanted to march in corps. Awesome solo in concert production of "A New Set of Threads."

I'm not prejuduced,

ok yes I am

Jim Brady to this day, is the benchmark I compare all Drum corps horn players to. Well maybe Sop players, because Eddie Irwin who was the Bari soloist with St. Andrews in the early 70's may have been the best hornplayer to ever pass through the Bridgemen's ranks.

• 4 weeks later...
And one of the nicest fellows you'd ever hope to meet.

Unfortunately, since he never aspired to play in a D1 (at least I don't think so), his talent was never appreciated by the drum corps masses.

Trust me, I tried like the dickens to even get him to consider Vagabonds. Unfortunately, because his dad was asst. director of Sharpsburg, he had a loyalty to them, even though they existed no longer. Personally, I think just maybe he didn't realize how good he was. He would certainly have thrived in any corps but especially Vagabonds who relied on sop soloists.

I talk to him probably ever other week.

Rocketman - Oscar

Lipsprain, John Oscar Menosky is playing trumpet for the swing band "Dr. Zoot."

I have 4 Dr. Zoot CD's they are all great and Oscar is amazing. I do wish he would do Steel City. I'm going to have to work on him.

Rocketman

ampssuck

• 2 years later...

Who was the guy from Crossmen in 1980 who played the solo in "Pictures of Spain" (played it as well as Jeff Kievit, IMO) and other solo stuff for the X-men that year? He was off the hook!

Fran

Mike - you're probably referring to Bill Mudge - a truly great Bari, played the Choo Choo solo! He was also in Kilts in 70, which I believe was his ageout year.

The Kilties had ageout years back then?

J/K, guys!!!!!!!!!!

Fran