Best Sop Player

I heard a recording of the Lynwood Diplomats from the early 70's on Diceman Radio once, they had a screamer that really surprised me when I head it.

Wayne Bergeron, 1971 Diplomats. About 14 at the time (my info is 2nd hand). Went to VK in '72 (never got over to Kingsmen).

Played with Maynard Ferguson when Wayne was just a young kid.

Pro-musician today.

I'm surprised that Ron Housely missed this one... :)

Edited by GuyW

Wayne Bergeron, 1971 Diplomats. About 14 at the time (my info is 2nd hand). Went to VK in '72 (never got over to Kingsmen).

Played with Maynard Ferguson when Wayne was just a young kid.

Pro-musician today.

I'm surprised that Ron Housely missed this one... :)

Wow!

Never knew that. I just saw Wayne Bergeron perform at the big Maynard Ferguson tribute concert in

St. Louis. Out of the 20 or so former Ferguson band trumpet players that performed that night,

I thought Bergeron was the best! The dude's amazing and he makes it look effortless.

(P.S. I went to the show with Tommy Merideth who's been mentioned several times in this thread.

Tommy thought Bergeron was the best as well.)

Bluecoats had a soloist from I think 86 -89 name was Jeff can't recall his last name.

I am the best sop player.

But, I am uncomfortable with all the autographs, groupies and attention so I switched to the contra line to remain out of the spotlight.

Bluecoats had a soloist from I think 86 -89 name was Jeff can't recall his last name.

Jeff Wilt I believe is the guy you're thinking about.

He later became a soprano soloist with DCA's Westshoremen.

Fran

Jim Brady - Bridgemen 77-78

Jerry Noonan - North Star 78-79

Al Chez - Garfield 1980's

Jeff Wilt I believe is the guy you're thinking about.

He later became a soprano soloist with DCA's Westshoremen.

Fran

I was wondering if Jeff's name would come up in this thread. He was a screamer alright. Good guy, too!

All great guys (Jeff Kievit/Morgan Larsen/Jerry Noonan esp.), but listen to the Knights 1985 recording. If you can get past my terrible timpani playing, sop soloist Dan Moore carries that show like almost no other soloist of this era. And knocked it out of the park every night. And came in second at I&E that year by "just noodling" on La Virgen de Macarena for three minutes.

Dan Moore.

2 come to mind right off... the sopranos from '95/'96 Scouts, the tall blond one and the one that plays mis abuelos up an octave :doh: I love those guys. Actually that whole quartet was amazing. Or how about the BD soloist from '89 b**bs

i just thought of another one, the big guy from '87 Bluecoats... ok he's not the best but i think he deserves honorable mention.

-Weedy