How did Santa Clara win in 89?

back in march I did a march-madness style elimination thing with 32 favorite shows. Phantom 89 and SCV 89 were both included but didn't go head to head. If I remember correctly Phantom 96 outdrew both SCV 89 and Phantom 89 in their matchups, then lost by a wide margin to Star 93 in the finals.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I couldn't tell the difference between the 1st place and 12th place percussion lines. 

But you can tell degree of difficulty? :)

you cannot argue that Santa Clara didn't have a much more difficult show - musically and visually, and they should be rewarded for performing something so difficult at such a high level.

I'd say - in my opinion - that they were as evenly matched a top 2 as we've seen in DCI, including the tie years. Either one could have won and I'd have thought they should have. (And while we're at it, how about the Cavies that year? They had a friggin' amazing show as well - would have been 2nd in just about any other year.)

1989 is near and dear to my heart - that was the year I discovered DCI, and I still have (in a box now, thanks to DVD) my worn out VHS tape with the PBS broadcast on it. Of course, I'm sure others are mad at me for it - I took the tape home when another drummer lent it to me... :whistle:

Mike

back in march I did a march-madness style elimination thing with 32 favorite shows.  Phantom 89 and SCV 89 were both included but didn't go head to head.  If I remember correctly Phantom 96 outdrew both SCV 89 and Phantom 89 in their matchups, then lost by a wide margin to Star 93 in the finals.

I think we're going to do something along those lines again this year - but expanding it to 64 and giving out prizes along the way. :)

Mike

(And while we're at it, how about the Cavies that year?  They had a friggin' amazing show as well - would have been 2nd in just about any other year.)

Yes. I never get tired of watching that Cavies show. Still :whistle: after all these years. It's absolutely as sublime a drum corps show as has ever been performed. That opening section with the evolving drill is totally bad-###.

Cavies both that year and in '91 did a great job with the opening flags - they kept them hidden until a block move then brought them out at once to create a great visual picture.

But back to Phantom / SCV...  :)

Watch '91 again my friend and you will see those giant "pink" flags were actually the second set used in the opener.....truly a beathtaking moment.

~G~

:whistle:

OK, gang!  As Nancy (LancerFi) will attest, I 'm with those who thought Phantom should have won in 89.  And to beat the dead horse, my only grievance with the outcome is from a purely visual standpoint.

How can a group set a record score, regardless of emotion and technical standpoint when there are 3 holes in the drill?  I can understand that they closed them in spaces, but there clearly gaps in portions of the show that would detract from visual GE, regardless of how well they were closed or covered.

I will never take anything away from SCV, but a lot of us will never understand how such an occurrance could take place.  I guess we're just old fogies who are 'tic' execution freaks..Sorry to diss SCV, but I'll always have a hole in my heart for the "Swiss Cheese Cadets".

I think it is impressive that they were able to hold the intervals the whole show. I thought there was only an alto hole?

Whats suprises me about 89 is that SCV's drumline scored high. If you look at the video....the snare line members bump real bad in to one another.... a quint player loses a stick during a feature........and to top it off.....they receive a record high score of 98.8 :ph34r::ph34r:

I love both shows by the way.....if you wonder why so many folks who watched drum corrps in the 80's are not fans anymore......just do a compasion of the music that was played by the top two corps in 89 versus 10 years later (99)......MAJOR CHANGE....

Triple Forte

Well..........I guess it didn't "seem" that clear, considering they didn't win, huh ?? :whistle:

Both shows were awesome that year and both had the goods to win, but that night it belonged to SCV......oh, and PR's percussion didnt help matters either, finishing in fifth for performance if Im not mistaken.

~G~

I thought the two blanks in the drill were the two guys from England who SCV booted out during finals week for being overage. Didn't they forge their passports & birth certificates and SCV kicked them out before DCI would have disqualified them for marching overage members? It's not SCV's fault. The guys totally cheated.