"1976 Scouts show 1"

Has any Div. I-type corps changed their show so drastically as Madison '76?  Does anyone have some other examples?

in '78, we (Blue Devils) did. We scrapped our drum solo, and closer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in '78, we (Blue Devils) did. We scrapped our drum solo, and closer.

Now I'm curious ; what was the original closer?

didn't BD make significant changes to their show in 2002?  that's just what i've heard..

Yeah, it's my understanding that they threw out the show in early June? I don't remember what it was, but I know they sent the design team back nearly to square one.

Interesting. Now that you bring that up, I do remember contacting someone from the Soundmachine about 4 years ago who got me a cassette tape recording of a show that was held in Flint Michigan in 1974. I got it b/c my dentist never had a recording of him marching a show. (My dentist marched with the Ishpeming Blue Notes in 74)

Its too bad you cant record at drum corps shows, I sure would have enjoyed to hear us at different points in the season. I can just see myself getting ushered/kicked out of a show with a minidisk recorder and a stealth microphone hidden on my shirt

Come to think of it... I DO have a mono recording of Madison's home show in 98 on one of those small little voice recorder tapes.

Dan(s) do you guys think if you had the the final product at the begining of the season, you would have repeated in '76?

That is the subject of much debate. Some believe had Madison had another 2 weeks with it they would have repeated. But the smart money was on BD they were simply too strong.

And all true drum corps fans brought their Panasonic tape recorder to shows, practices, et cetera!!!!!!! :P

I managed to get both '76 Madison and '76 Kilts on tape at the Big "V"!!!!!!

OUCH!!! My ears!!!! :rolleyes:

Oh, yeah! Those were the days! I remember heading up to Whitewater from south Georgia in 75, 76, 77, 78...with Superscope tape recorder and bunches of blank tapes in hand...got every prelim and finals show from the stands!

In fact, over Christmas, I was poking around in the attic at my parents' house and I found a whole briefcase full of those tapes form the 70s! Unfortunately for me, 25+ years of lying in a south Georgia attic pretty much ruined them!

BTW, by the time Whitewater rolled around in 76, Madison had long since changed the show. I loved - and STILL love - that "Stars and Stripes" OTL - complete with the Iwo Jima pose at the end! Great stuff!

BTW, by the time Whitewater rolled around in 76, Madison had long since changed the show. I loved - and STILL love - that "Stars and Stripes" OTL - complete with the Iwo Jima pose at the end! Great stuff!

The First show that the Scouts did show 2 was at Drum Beauty, Stillwater MN. The Show's were on the 5th and 6th. Whitewater was on the 7th. And it was great..!!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, the Ludwig Vistalite drum shells with the red and yellow and green ribbon or stripping. Stopped me in my tracks.

I remember our first head to head meeting, they were the defending DCI champs. Yikes - we spanked them but good. Give them a few weeks, a new show, the same energy and skills from 1975 - and they nearly caught BD's.

I don't think BD's was ever going to loose DCI in 76 - but very few people realize how close in score Madison was to BD's.

Oh yes, the Ludwig Vistalite drum shells with the red and yellow and green ribbon or stripping. Stopped me in my tracks.

I remember our first head to head meeting, they were the defending DCI champs. Yikes - we spanked them but good. Give them a few weeks, a new show, the same energy and skills from 1975 - and they nearly caught BD's.

I don't think BD's was ever going to loose DCI in 76 - but very few people realize how close in score Madison was to BD's.

I'll have to agree with every Scouts Member that was "there"...The 1st '76 show was a real BOMB!! "Shaft" off the line may have "Sounded cool",but it TOTALLY S@CKED,to have to perform to!"Mc Arthur Park"on the move???(Who was the rocket scientist that came up with that one???)But,my favourite was the Drum Solo..."Pick up the Peices"(Average White Band)It got SO bad that we re-named it "Pick up the Downers"...

The TRUE Credit goes to the MEN of MADISON,in '76...for doing the "near impossible"..Yes,I think that even ONE more week,and maybe (just maybe)

the score at Finals,would have told the story of "The Miricle On Grass...)

(Just some insight,from one who was THERE...) DANIEL B)

I always enjoy hearing my friend - Eric "Hoosier" Reasoner - recount his 1976 year with the Scouts.