Who got 1st place robbed from them

OK..let me try this spin!

I agree there are plenty more stories to share in this thread than 1980... with that; I would contend that EVERY group that's EVER been forced to "kiss their sister" and have tied are the one's who've been robbed the most! The Number One priority in judging is; "Make A Decision". To work an entire season, only to be told; "You're All Winners" is absurd. It's like the World Series ending 3-3 or NO overtime in a Super Bowl! (Sorry!, I'm originally from Boston, and sports analogies are really easy this year!)

Thankfully, DCI (I think) has resolved this problem with an addition of the 2nd percussion judge and a complex averaging system...as seen in last year's Div II Finals.. (one-quarter of one tenth..WOW!)

To All you folks who've ever tied... YOU are the ones who were once "robbed the most".

(Conclusion of my first Rant!)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree there are plenty more stories to share in this thread than 1980... with that; I would contend that EVERY group that's EVER been forced to "kiss their sister" and have tied are the one's who've been robbed the most!  The Number One priority in judging is; "Make A Decision".  To work an entire season, only to be told; "You're All Winners" is absurd.  It's like the World Series ending 3-3 or NO overtime in a Super Bowl!  (Sorry!, I'm originally from Boston, and sports analogies are really easy this year!)

Thankfully, DCI (I think) has resolved this problem with an addition of the 2nd percussion judge and a complex averaging system...as seen in last year's Div II Finals.. (one-quarter of one tenth..WOW!)

To All you folks who've ever tied... YOU are the ones who were once "robbed the most".

Hey Terry and welcome to the Planet! I'm glad you found it! :laugh: :) You'll get used to all these features as time goes on! No worries! Carry on and rant away! :)

I mean they were undefeated the whole season thumbup.gif and come up 4th in the finals that year unsure.gif .

Nope....they were undefeated until they met BD in Denver in early July. DC World then labeled Phantom "nearly undefeated".....we always felt there was a bias against us, that statement fueled the flames even more (I still have the article).

I have met a few members of that corps and they have always believed that for some reason the judges did'nt like them.

According to the DC World Articles I have, Phantom was having problems with their performances. They were, as one article put it, going through the motions. Garfield, a 7th place drum corps at the time, was beating Phantom.

I mean it is hard to argue against. How many corps in the last 30 years have been undefeated all season and have not won DCI?

The closer a corps gets to that undefeated season, the more intense it gets. Odds are a loss is coming. You just hope to get it out of the way sooner than later.

If you check drum corps history you will find out it's happened more to Phantom than probably any other corps out there.

Well...being part of of the "history" you mentioned, I think you might want to check your history.

Edited by bd5times

I agree there are plenty more stories to share in this thread than 1980... with that; I would contend that EVERY group that's EVER been forced to "kiss their sister" and have tied are the one's who've been robbed the most!  The Number One priority in judging is; "Make A Decision".  To work an entire season, only to be told; "You're All Winners" is absurd.  It's like the World Series ending 3-3 or NO overtime in a Super Bowl!  (Sorry!, I'm originally from Boston, and sports analogies are really easy this year!)

geez terry. sounds like somebody hasn't had his budweiser yet!

Was it 82 or 83 that Phantom did the 1812 Overture? 

Totally, they got ripped for that one.

They did it in 83 and then again in 84.

82 they did the Spartacus show again. :) (This is from memory not corpsreps, I believe I'm right)...

Was it 82 or 83 that Phantom did the 1812 Overture? 

Totally, they got ripped for that one.

83 Phantom Regiment ...wow, what an underrated show....nobody, I bet almost nobody can recall the amazing drill they had that year, second only to Garfield in design. Watching high-camera its amazing how well integrated the show was.

All year they were ranked a solid fourth, significantly ahead of everyone else, and just a tad behind the "big three" ........but I dont think they were "ripped" ...they fell right where they belonged.

~G~

Spirit 79 at DCI Midwest. I had to do it. ^0^

While in Denver '78, didn't Phantom go to the Amusement Park instead of have a rehearsal? I heard that decision had a lot to do with their performance at Prelims.

Mom

Speaking as one who has both tied for a national title (86 DCUK) and ALMOST tied for one (84 DCI), I don't feel I was robbed.

In my only year of junior corps we won brass (SCV and Garfield tied with us), percussion, and color guard....all the performance captions. We got killed in GE and were a gnat's whisker behind (and thus,. the margin of loss) in a technical caption (M&M). I would happily have tied then, but at least I know I got beat by one of the greatest shows of all time; I have been told numberous times that in any other year, BD would've won.

2 years later, I was part of thr BD of Great Britain....a corps so powerful that the Conquest Alliance was formed specifically to beat us...and the best they could do was tie, since we won brass and percussion (would have to dig out my vinyl records for the other captions....the recaps were actually on the back cover)

In neither case did I feel like I kissed my sister, nor was I robbed...I brought my best game and so did my opponents.

As far as judges making a decision...they do...at the time they assign a score to an individual corps. I sorta doubt the judges are sitting at the table comparing scores and recaps between the last corps and retreat.