The Anti-Narration BD Thread

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And tell us how much money per person they spent compared to how much a legacy fan would have...

Apparently, drum corps is going to be a pro-amp exclusive club only here soon...cast us aside, why don't you....whereas those of us against amplification (at least the voice) have no problem having the band kids in the stands with us..

Really, that's the vibe I'm getting anymore...

To go backwards and change things back to the way you want it would cast me and some other people who have spoken in this thread aside. Cast us aside, why don't you. That's the vibe I'm getting anymore as well.

Through all of this thread, I've not found any information to support amplification as being anything other than a cop-out for show designers. It's amazing for years that Drum Corps have been able to tell their stories without the use of amplification. Would the Bridgemen or other Corps have been as memorable with someone "telling" their story. BD has been my favorite for years, but after seeing them at Murfreesboro last night, I'll be going to get a beer during their show.  I almost became sick during their show. A Corps whose bread and butter has been their hornline takes a backseat to "YOWZA, YOWZA, YOWZA". Now thats a move forward.

I don't like the amplification in BD's show either, but not because I just blindly hate A&E, but because I think that in that specific show, it isn't being done well and it doesn't fit the show. They're also getting their worst scores in years, so I'm confident that they won't make the same mistake twice. I hope to see them use A&E in more innovative and entertaining ways in the future, kind of like Phantom this year...tasteful, fun, and well-integrated. :)

I can't help but wonder....

The currently mentality among many of the corps (and many on here) is, "Well, we'll lose the x fans, but they'll be replaced by the y fans."

Wouldn't the corps ultimately be better off if they attracted the y fans AND kept the x fans, too?

It's up to the x fans to stay...as it's always been. We already have seen that some will walk away when a change or series becomes more than they can support. That is "on them"...as it has always been. Attendance has been on the rise, so IMO DCI is indeed doing things "right" overall.

Mike

And tell us how much money per person they spent compared to how much a legacy fan would have...

Apparently, drum corps is going to be a pro-amp exclusive club only here soon...cast us aside, why don't you....whereas those of us against amplification (at least the voice) have no problem having the band kids in the stands with us..

Really, that's the vibe I'm getting anymore...

As always, drum corps will go the way it chooses to go. It's not casting anyone away. If you don't like it and choose not to go...that's not DCI's fault.

These same sort of arguments were made, though more locally since there was no internet to speak of...15, 25, 35 years ago.

I really find it hard to understand how people who were at the forefront of changes made over the past xx years all of a sudden want to take their ball and go home when drum corps keeps changing.

Mike

Mike,

Your post said that "Just about every change I have seen has caused some people to throw up their hands and walk away...but that's normal, IMO. That number is, IMO statistically insignificant as compared to all of those who do NOT leave." What I was trying to get at is your basis for that determination and the attitude it conveys. Your response didn't really address that.

Whether we start taring apart attendance figures for specific (like) shows or not, the various changes in rules, equipment, style, organization all contributed to a loss of fans. Whether those changes brought in more fans or not is not the point.

I never said no fans left...just about every change caused folks to walk away. MHO is that per change, the number is not significant. Esp if new fans take their place.

Fans walked away. To say that is "statistically insignificant" when the finals audience decreased so dramatically is not a fair statement. The reason I used the late 90s and not 2004 is because I wanted to go from the high point to the low point. Do you think the increased audiences of the past few years are because the legacy fans came back when the corps went to Bb or amplified? I was trying to find a simple way to show fans have left the activity in big numbers.

You have no way of telling how many have left the activity just by looking at a show, even champs.

Any business should be concerned about changes which alienate a sizeable amount of their customer base. It costs more to get new customers than keep an old one. The attitude is one of "I know this will anger some of the legacy fans but we have to do it anyway".  Couldn't that be expressed in a different way that people could be more accepting of the changes?

Sometimes changes will alienate a few but eventually attract more new customers....and of course, sometimes not.

The feeling people get is DCI loves you when you're giving them money and happy with the product but if they want to change, who cares what you think, how much you've given, what you've done. It doesn't matter, you can be replaced. I know that's the feeling people get. I read it on DCP and RAMD and in personal e-mails I receive.

So just how many fans do I need to prove have walked away since the 70s due to changes in the activity for them to be statistically significant?

Chris

Give me a percentage of the total drum corps audience tht walked away strictly due to changes over the past 35 years...1%, 10%? There is no way to know that...and as long as the audience is growing, DCI should not care. Growing the audience today and in the future is the most important task for DCI, IMO.

Mike

Attendance has been on the rise, so IMO DCI is indeed doing things "right" overall.

Mike

And attendance would be even BETTER if they appeal to both x and y fans..

As always, drum corps will go the way it chooses to go. It's not casting anyone away. If you don't like it and choose not to go...that's not DCI's fault.

Mike

No, of course it's not the designers' fault...never has been...they're the designers, after all....they're infallible....oh, and they're amping the human voice for the kids

Interesting stretch. You said lots of people were advocating going backwards AND saying that would increase attendance. You still haven't provided proof.

There are lots of changes I personally would support - changes aimed at decreasing the financial burden and startup hurdles, as well as increasing parity among competing corps. This would not involve returning to the time I marched (early 70s) or necessarily taking a step backwards.  I'd start by making any corps that competed more than 3 years automatically a member regardless of division or placement. That's neither forward or backward - just different.

It wasn't a stretch, but I don't care if you say so. You're entitled to your opinion. As for the rest of your post, I concede that I was wrong when I implied you might be against all future changes. Sorry.

No, of course it's not the designers' fault...never has been...they're the designers, after all....they're infallible....oh, and they're amping the human voice for the kids

Yet for some reason, those kids are actually letting them do it to them. They're devoting their whole summers to these corps with designers that are...inflicting them with amps. How stupid they must be. And they are slaves, after all. :worthy: