Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

Sorry to just see this now - former Bridgemen trumpet Frank "Perdue" Petric was struck and killed by lightning at a Skyliner rehearsal in 1985. Frankie was one of the all-time great drum corps kids.

His wake remains one of the saddest, most awful nights I can remember in 62 years.

Drum corps wakes are some of the saddest, esp when the person is young.

My saddest ever was when our (Garfield) great DM Richie Chirichella died suddenly after the 71 season. We used to play football against the Muchachos, as Hawthorne and Garfield NJ are adjacent towns. He broke his leg at a game, and it was set as normally. He was on crutches after that, as one would expect...he was a senior at Montclair State College (I think a math ed major) and I was a freshman music ed there, so I would see him hobbling around campus every so often. He threw a bloodclot from the injury, it went to his heart, and he died instantly.

That wake was the absolute saddest I ever attended...laid out in his DM uni, with his shako, gloves and baton (he was an early user of a baton) next to the casket...the entire corps came in and sang the "O' Holy Name" corps song...not a dry eye...I still get the shivers remembering it.

• Like 3

Not true at all.

Sadly, what IS true is that he was found guilty of embezzling from his client trust accounts last year (he WAS an attorney) and is now in prison...#### it.

I also heard a story that he had some ego problems and was not very popular in BD.

Edited by Bucbari
  • Like 1

Wasn't it 80 or 81 wqhere the rumor went that BD's busses went off a cliff??

As to the 93 Star bit...where would they hide a Dr Beat?? The 1st half of the show was almost never above MP!!

Now 84 Crossmen...you hear some VERY clear stick cliks for tempo as the pit starts...Lee????

:ninja:

My thoughts exactly, Sam!! mp is almost being GENEROUS!!! I gave Mason and Bill Cook SO much abuse about that, and I saw them in July.. :tounge2:

I'd like to know how they could've hidden a Dr. Beat... NOW they could have wireless ear buds for the entire corps.. :innocent:

Pat

NOW they could have wireless ear buds for the entire corps.. :innocent:

I've thought about that before. There are so many ways that could go horribly wrong though. If a judge happens to see that the entire corps is wearing earpieces, that's probably going to result in a DQ on the spot. It's fun to imagine the possibilities though.

I've thought about that before. There are so many ways that could go horribly wrong though. If a judge happens to see that the entire corps is wearing earpieces, that's probably going to result in a DQ on the spot. It's fun to imagine the possibilities though.

Now if they'd been old geezers, they could have passed those off as hearing aids - or just grow their hair over the ear openings. Some of those new ones are virtually invisible..

As far as the DQ thing - is having "hearing protection" a DQ-ing offense???

Pat

Now if they'd been old geezers, they could have passed those off as hearing aids - or just grow their hair over the ear openings. Some of those new ones are virtually invisible..

As far as the DQ thing - is having "hearing protection" a DQ-ing offense???

Pat

As an old geezer, my opinion is that guys that age wouldn't adapt to having the pulse in their ears like that.

Would just be too weird.

Most of us are buglers.

Plus we can barely hear the snares anymore, our ears are so damaged from decades of over-written, over-played percussion scores.

Is there a rule AGAINST it? If not...no DQ.

Not true at all.

Sadly, what IS true is that he was found guilty of embezzling from his client trust accounts last year (he WAS an attorney) and is now in prison...#### it.

FWIW, I personally saw him in the parking lot of Arrowhead Stadium sitting in the luggage bin of the BD bus after finals.

Can we all here at least agree that its the ages of the judges... not the marchers... where the question of "old geezers" and their hearing loss and" hearing devices" might become future problematic unless new blood in the judging ranks quickly takes hold ? I'm not as concerned with the hearing devices utilized by marchers as much as I am with the current " old geezers " up in the booths with them on looking down below and making judgements.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1