Famous, or infamous, corps stories, myths, legends

Problem with this story is that St. Lucy's and Cavaliers were never in Miami at the same time.

It absolutely happened,.. no doubt about it. The only thing debatable is if the Nationals Chamipionship site for the brawl between these 2 Corps was Miami or some other location. Perhaps some Legends fans from BITD will chime in to confirm if the site for the 2 Corps brawl incident was in Miami or not.

Edited by BRASSO

I have not heard that one. IIRC there was an individual in the late 70's or early 80s that tripped and fell through a plate-glass window while on tour and almost bled out. Returned to the corps some weeks later I believe.

That would have been 1981 SCV, while housed at Oakland Middle School in Minnesota.

He was a lead soprano (and would become DM 2 years later). He sliced a major artery, lost over half his blood and spent 5 hours in the surgery.

IIRC, he was out for the entire rest of the tour after the accident.

It absolutely happened,.. no doubt about it. The only thing debatable is if the Nationals Chamipionship site for the brawl between these 2 Corps was Miami or some other location. Perhaps some Legends fans from BITD will chime in to confirm if the site for the 2 Corps brawl incident was in Miami or not.

I believe you're referring to 1957 VFW where the Cavaliers beat St. Vinny's Cadets. The incident was mentioned in Don Warren's book.

Edited by amadorj

I remember hearing something about an SCV member getting struck and killed by lightning back in the 80's, and that they always march a hole in remembrance.

This happened to the Blue Knights in 1986, although no one died. I have heard anywhere from 5 - 12 members went to the hospital.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the two over age members of SCV in 1989. I understand they were from England and had fake birth certificates. Gail Royer found out (apparently someone in another corps knew them and reported it) and turn SCV in to DCI. Since they turned themselves in before semi-finals, no penalty was given and they marched two holes (and won).

I am surprised no one has mentioned the two over age members of SCV in 1989. I understand they were from England and had fake birth certificates. Gail Royer found out (apparently someone in another corps knew them and reported it) and turn SCV in to DCI. Since they turned themselves in before semi-finals, no penalty was given and they marched two holes (and won).

Seems that it happened right before Finals week. Story goes that friends came over from England for Finals, , and one of them reported it to a competing corps, who then reported it to DCI. Gail told the kids to get their stuff and get out before he told the corps about it. So they were gone before the block ended and everyone noticed they were gone.

Not Saint Lucy's, it was St Vinnies.

Edited by Slingerland

Maybe you have the wrong corps. Miami was the site of the (in)famous confrontation between St. Vincent's and the Cavaliers in 1957 - could that be what you are thinking of?

IIRC, he was out for the entire rest of the tour after the accident.

I believe you are correct -and as was already posted he came back as DM the next year.

As a tangential thought (my specialty on DCP) - I wonder where he is now? I know from my own little corps we have college professors, Alaskan crab fisherman, professionals in the financial industry & a Catholic priest among our alumni. Maybe I should start a thread on this...