2007 Rose Bowl - Pasedena

It's kind of overcast today and weather in California is typically unpredictable...As far as the venue, being a native to the Los Angeles area...I know all the short cuts to avoid traffic...I read another post here that said it would take 4 hours to commute to the stadium...traffic in L.A. is no different than any other major city...actually traffic around Qualcomm Stadium is even more horrendous...Highway 15 is just as bad, if not worse than the 210 freeway which runs by the Rose Bowl...all in all a great choice for DCI 2007...great to have DCI in my hometown! B)

Felix,

Bet you never thought DCI would be comin' to the hood! I can see it now....some poor corp from who knows where getting off the WRONG exit in San Gabriel and discovering what East LA is all about!

Man I can't wait! But why did they wait for me to move all the way out here to put the darn' thing an hour from my house???? :sshh: :sshh:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, true, but Qualcomm has better seating.

Granted, Qualcomm isn't as nice a stadium as Denver 2004 or Foxboro 2005, but it's still nicer than any college football stadium here in California...including the Rose Bowl.

And to combat the traffic issue, the drive from I-8 (East or West) to the stadium, or from I-805 or I-15 South isn't bad at all!

Anyway, perhaps they can still change the venue later on.  I'm sure it won't be set in stone this far away.

True,...there are short cuts and good routes down in San Diego as well....IMO, just the fact that DCI will be held in a historical stadium like the Rose Bowl is great. I can understand your bias...I have the same being from the L.A. area...I would attend and be happy whether it was held @ Qualcomm or the Rose Bowl B)

Edited by felixh

True, true, but Qualcomm has better seating.

Granted, Qualcomm isn't as nice a stadium as Denver 2004 or Foxboro 2005, but it's still nicer than any college football stadium here in California...including the Rose Bowl.

And to combat the traffic issue, the drive from I-8 (East or West) to the stadium, or from I-805 or I-15 South isn't bad at all!

Anyway, perhaps they can still change the venue later on.  I'm sure it won't be set in stone this far away.

I have to admit that I was hoping for Qualcom also. I must agree that the seating is better (although I had a hidden agenda...to excersise the use of the Clear Channel suite) I am going to guess that Corp housing might have been a deciding factor??? who knows but the men behind the curtain.

should be cool, means a lot of corps will be heading through the midwest on their way there. kind of like last year when we had the ankeny show the sunday of finals week since everyone was heading to denver :)

Spending part of my life in the hospitality business, the entertainment business and now on the government side, I can probably share with you why San Diego could have been eliminated as a possible venue among other sites. This is a partial list, but feel free to add on if I may have missed anything.

1. Stadium availability? Soccer teams, baseball teams usually have dates blacked out way ahead of time. Concert promoters have the same courtesy for dates months ahead of time.

2. Stadium Concert side seating? I believe DCI requires at least 25k seats on the concert side. But I could be wrong on that.

3. Housing availability? Are there enough school districts in the area that will allow for the corps to be housed in? Some districts will not allow it at all over local concerns, complaints of "noise" from neighbors. i.e. Boulder, CO 1978

If any of these three do not pass, then nix that city and move on.

4. Budget. How much will it cost DCI to rent the two stadiums they use during the week? And the cost to run them? What part does the local government willing to pick up? Stadium costs such as concessionaires, parking, ushers, grounds crews and security( usually police) overtime can run alone $50 -80 an hour per officer.

How much to fly in and house and feed the DCI staff, judges, announcers, photographers, ticket staff and runners? At what is the cost to obtain local permits for parking, liquor licenses for parties, parades, standstills etc... How much to produce the CD's, DVD's, Cinecasts and telecasts that we all love and endure?

DCI is usually (with the exception of Madison) held in a major city because of all the hidden costs to produce our toys. Travel is a big cost when trying to find a media outlet to produce our shows. Notice the proximity between Bristol, CT(ESPN headquarters) and Foxboro? My brother who is a TV producer and director but who has no drum corps attachment, but has watch the broadcasts and DVD's has estimated at least 25-30 production staff is required on site. Who pays for their per diems? Travel is another reason DCi will not be back in Jackson, MS among other problems. This is why DCI is in D.C., Denver, Orlando, Boston and now L.A. Not that San Diego isn't a major market. 5. Hotel room availability? Is there any major conventions going on the same time in the city selected? Some conventions can attract 80-100K people.

I hoped that I have answered somebody's questions as to why their city isn't selected. I personally think that DCI feels they now have the numbers to put the championships nearly anywhere and hard core fans will attend no matter the distance.

Edited by bstar82

OKay, now that we've got finals out here. Who's pushing for Precision West, Pacific Procession, and Moonlight Classic to be the shows that lead into finals!

Imagine most of the top twelve in Spartan Stadium............or most of the top twelve at Precision West with the stands so close to the track.......

OKay, now that we've got finals out here.  Who's pushing for Precision West, Pacific Procession, and Moonlight Classic to be the shows that lead into finals!

Imagine most of the top twelve in Spartan Stadium............or most of the top twelve at Precision West with the stands so close to the track.......

DCI wouldn't allow the top twelve in any show a week before finals on the same night. Unless it ran like Allentown. NoCal will probably get the early season shows and as corps make their way west, look for Denver and San Antonio to be the big shows on the way. Possibly, Salt Lake Area, Las Vegas and Phoenix as well. Most likely, the Riverside and San Diego shows will lead up to finals. Too bad we can't George Wong's LA Odossey show back for one year. That would be the cat's meow!!!

should be cool, means a lot of corps will be heading through the midwest on their way there.  kind of like last year when we had the ankeny show the sunday of finals week since everyone was heading to denver :)

Uhh, I'm not so sure. Check out the map. There's a huge spread of sidtance between Denver and LA. I envision the events and the push to Pasadena going through the southwest and maybe some down from Northern California.