1992 Cadets of Bergen County

I ended up listening to this show randomly this morning, perusing the Season Pass streaming audio.

At the time, I thought it was ... okay. Not as good as the "americana" stuff from the previous years, though.

But listening to it today, man that show has aged well. The music really wouldn't be out of place even today, 13 years later. The tempos are right in line with today's music, the structures / melody / etc all seem pretty contemporary, et cetera.

Really, I have to give really belated props to their arrangers - they put together a quite nice musical package that had strong performances through every section - there's no weakness in the music book.

^OO^ :rolleyes:

Mike

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the Cadets I remember ...drill, music...all whiplash and frenetic.

As Hop said on his blog in so many words earlier in the season, though, they don't seem to want to return to this type of show.

Eh. :)

Edited by bawker

I ended up listening to this show randomly this morning, perusing the Season Pass streaming audio.

At the time, I thought it was ... okay.  Not as good as the "americana" stuff from the previous years, though.

But listening to it today, man that show has aged well.  The music really wouldn't be out of place even today, 13 years later.  The tempos are right in line with today's music, the structures / melody / etc all seem pretty contemporary, et cetera.

Really, I have to give really belated props to their arrangers - they put together a quite nice musical package that had strong performances through every section - there's no weakness in the music book. 

^OO^    :rolleyes:

Mike

Crazy... I just posted them to the "Best Endings" thread not 30 mins ago. I think this is a year for them that gets overlooked, but it's one of my favorites.

Like you this show took a while to grow on me, but the more I watched it the more I realized how awesome it was. Everything was well done... from the airplane at the begining to the follow the leader collapsing into the company front at the end.

Simply amazing.

About the only thing I can fault in this show was the out of tune mellos in the beginning. I heard it was quite a cool evening though in Madison that summer.

A perfect total show concept. It was amazing how they took a limited variety in source material and made it into an entire show...including composing a ballad (with engine sounds) that sounded like Holsinger should have written it to begin with. I do think this show might have won had the corps not gotten it under control so late. Weren't they fourth or fifth at Preview of Champions in Nashville?

Oh, and Mike, according to the rules you partially set up, isn't something about 1992 supposed to be in the historic drum corps forum? (Couldn't resist busting you.)

Mike

They were sixth in prelims in Nashville that year, and moved ahead of Phantom for 5th in finals on Saturday night.

Phantom even beat them as late in the season as the Sunday before Finals, but only by .1. Cadets really brought it home that last week and alomst stole a championship.

A perfect total show concept. It was amazing how they took a limited variety in source material and made it into an entire show...including composing a ballad (with engine sounds) that sounded like Holsinger should have written it to begin with. I do think this show might have won had the corps not gotten it under control so late. Weren't they fourth or fifth at Preview of Champions in Nashville?

Oh, and Mike, according to the rules you partially set up, isn't something about 1992 supposed to be in the historic drum corps forum? (Couldn't resist busting you.)

Mike

Wasn't Holsinger in the stands one, or both, of those years?