Troopers removed from DCI Membership Status

MikeN

yes, just look at the pull down "Member corps" list on dci.org. No Pacific Crest, no Esperanza, I'm pretty sure they won't add Blue Stars next season.

But didn't DCI say they "renewed" the membership of PC and Esperanza? Thus, they must have had some sort of "membership" to begin with. Not full, voting membership, but they apparently weren't "non-members".

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to say much, but there are reasons for this decision that do not include the Troopers playing on G or even placing 21st or lower for the past 3 or so years. I'm sure more information will arise, but if you really want to know, just start asking questions.

People affiliated with the corps should stop playing "deep throat" and get the organization to post a clarification. These Watergate-sounding posts are adding fuel to the fire.

But didn't DCI say they "renewed" the membership of PC and Esperanza? Thus, they must have had some sort of "membership" to begin with. Not full, voting membership, but they apparently weren't "non-members".

the Board of Directors renewed the "Division I competitive status"....there is a difference, again it hasn't been defined, but there is a difference....part of it has to do with the old system of allowing a div II corps to jump up during finals week....as PC joined after the rule was changed, things have been fuzzy

What are the "internal and external compliance" issues they are talking about? I wish someone could elaborate.

Is it because they placed 21st three times in a row? That is a rule?

Externeal would be their competitve history.

Internal could be something like not having enough cash on hand to properly tour a div 1 schedule.

it said: "Pursuant to the DCI By-laws..." so obviuosly they do have a policy in place, and perhaps part of that policy involves voting by the entire board (all the directors)

Were Troopers represented at the BOD Meetings?

Is the Board made up of all Div 1 Directors, or a smaller group? (top 12)?

It would seem odd that a unanimous vote would occur if the Troopers were represented and had a vote to place along with all the others??

Not trying to incite anything, so if you must flame, please be gentle

T

Well it's been mentioned many times in the past that if Troopers were to drop to Div II they would die. My guess is they need the Div I money to be able to afford the tour expenses from Wyo. Do Div I "Members" get paid more than those with Div I "Competitive Status"? Or does it all pay the same?

Were Troopers represented at the BOD Meetings?

Is the Board made up of all Div 1 Directors, or a smaller group? (top 12)?

It would seem odd that a unanimous vote would occur if the Troopers were represented and had a vote to place along with all the others??

Not trying to incite anything, so if you must flame, please be gentle

T

good point, and i thought of that when i posted it....i don't know that the board of directors are actually comprised of all the directors as i stated, but if all the directors were in attendance as is implied, I would hope the Troopers had representation.

Edited by tubawarrior

Well it's been mentioned many times in the past that if Troopers were to drop to Div II they would die. My guess is they need the Div I money to be able to afford the tour expenses from Wyo. Do Div I "Members" get paid more than those with Div I "Competitive Status"? Or does it all pay the same?

part of last year's meetings was that the pay scale was supposed to be leveled (at least in Div I)....don't know if that actually happened, but i would assume so. (i think the old scale was based on finals placement not member status, but i really have no idea)

From The Troopers Website:

In Troopers News ...

Troopers DCI Membership Status Changes (September 26, 2005)

At a recent meeting of the Board of Directors of DCI, it was decided that the Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps would be removed from Division I membership status due to the organization's lack of compliance of the requirements necessary to maintain membership within DCI.

In acknowledging this decision, the Troopers Board of Directors will be working with DCI to see that all current membership compliance requirements are met, thus enabling the Troopers to return to Division I status as quickly as possible in the future.

As a part of the Troopers organization's plan in resolving this matter, the Executive Director, Mathew Krum, has resigned from his current position. There will be a restructuring of roles within the organization to continue plans of development for the 2006 season. These decisions will ultimately help guide the organization towards its continued goals in the future.

There are challenges that lay ahead, but the immeasurable support and affection that existed for the Troopers will be the organization's greatest strength towards a vibrant future.

Get back soon!!

Go Troopers,

Gregg