(High School) Drum and Bugle Corps wins big

Hi. I'm Ellen, and I'm a member of the NPHS Alliance Drum and Bugle Corps. Just to clear some things up, what is announced before each show is that we are the "only high school to have a Drum and Bugle Corps as it's only musical marching unit". We don't have any "main band" and "varsity band". Just the Corps.

Ellen,

I also want to thank you for adding your insights to this discussion. I sincerely wish your group the best of luck in all your endeavors, and I especially wish you a successful and safe trip to Washington.

I am also happy to know that you are cognizant of all forms of drum corps (as evidence that you visited DCP). It's wonderful that your group is recognized for being unique for High School, and I applaud your organization for choosing this path.

I hope that DCP can inspire and inform you in some manner (as it does me), and we also welcome your further insights/comments.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I'm Ellen, and I'm a member of the NPHS Alliance Drum and Bugle Corps. Just to clear some things up, what is announced before each show is that we are the "only high school to have a Drum and Bugle Corps as it's only musical marching unit". We don't have any "main band" and "varsity band". Just the Corps.

Hi Ellen and welcome to DCP. Please keep us up to date how the corps is doing with the Apple Blossom Festival trip. I did some checking (compared dates) and looks like your group is trying to make the Festival and Parade in Winchester, VA (near Washington, DC). Shenandoah Sound (Sr) and Hanover Lancers (Alumni) usually make that parade so having another corps would be great. The crowd for the parade always is large and lets the marchers know they are doing a good job. Good luck and hope to see your corps next May.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

while i have been a dedicated lurker on the various forums for a couple of years now and have been more than content to ----keep my mouth shut-------but this ----geeeeez folks ---lighten up----my first thought was -----a high school with a drum corps----so very cool-----they should be encouraged and applauded----as i read the thread---all of it-----------i am so disappointed in----my fellow drum corps fanantics------everyone ----pickin ----offerin up --advice and generally second guessin the folks that r runnin the show down there-----have so many of us become so jaded ----we cant just be supportive---i mean ---i can understand ---to a degree-----the constant critical posts about dci----and the various give and take between posters on the forums-----this ----however----over the top------------cant we just give credit and be so so happy that a high school actually has a corp instead of being happy -----happy ---i am way past that for any school with a corp-----way more posts with negitive vibes than those with the positive---ok------y all prolly wont hear from me again and i am quite sure ---i will get ----flamed----------but really---think about it. :laugh:

Hi--I'm a reporter for a newspaper (not the one in question, but I'm still in the industry) so I thought I'd give my insight. There is no reason at all to write an apology to the newspaper for simply correcting them. A journalist should pride themselves on reporting accruacy, and the statements she made were totally false. Extensive research? Come on.

Even if she meant high school, she should have been more specific. Being clear with what you say is one of the most important parts of writing. And also--if a word gets left out, think about this....

Say a man was acquitted in a criminal case, so the journalist writes "John Smith was found not guilty". The word "not" somehow gets left out. Now you're up for a libel case.

I agree Ampfan.

I applaud and commend the highschool in question for having a drum and bugle corps!!!! wish there were more like ya! :)

My issue is with the journalism.

How many people read that article and believe Drum Corps is a dead artform now?? How many get that publication or will view that article??

"Owens said the truly impressive thing about the Corps' success is that they defeated 15 other full marching bands. The 78-member NPHS Corps remains the only drum and bugle corps in the entire United States.

"I've done extensive research, and can't find any others," Bradley said."

That is laughable. You can't tell me that this publication doesn't have an editor. Of course they do, as do all media sources. 2 seconds research will pull up FIRST PAGE results on any search engine of NUMEROUS drum corps.... the editor could have looked at that for 2 seconds and double checked to verify the facts.. It was a case of innacuracy and omission, coupled with shoddy or for that matter, possibly non-existant editing.

Edited by Canadacorps

Ah, the craziness of it all. First of all, thanks for your warm welcomes, they are appreciated. :) Secondly- I worked for the Sun-Herald for a time as a proofreader and a loooot of the articles are not up to any sort of par. Our City Editors (The Sun is a chain and has a few different newspapers that get delivered to different towns: DeSoto, North Port, Charlotte, and Englewood) are very very good but they often don't have time with that many news articles to read each segment. That's why we rely on the separate editors for each of the four branches, and a lot of them aren't very good. They've already recieved dozens upon dozens of complaints about that article (a lot of them from our own NPHS Alliance, because a lot of us in the Alliance are DCI fans), but we're still waiting for them to send out a correction, which they should.

So keep up your correcting!

I wish our high school was a drum corps and got rid of the freaking woodwinds....

Very cool thing to see.

Yes, the paper screwed up that one line. I laughed at it, too. But I still like the idea of a high school drum corps. If only our school was big enough to do that...

I wrote & received this response from the assistant editor.

"Hello,

The article should have said only high school Drum and Bugle Corps in the U.S. - we investigated and found there might be one or two more at the high school level - not the college level.

Thanks for reading,

Elaine"