MMA's Interview With George Hopkins

lets say he kept GARFIELD from going inactive.

In 1980 the corps was about to fold.

Hop and others started the importing of members from elsewhere in the country to field a corps.

the corps came in 10th that season as has not missed finals ever since.

so he did not Give us the cadets but he kept them and the crossmen safe for us.

thanks

HOP

Cool, didn't know what happened in 1980. Then again I worked rotating shifts back then and have NO memory of that time. :(

Like I said I disagree with a lot of GHs proposals but probably would enjoy talking them out.

He doesn't seem to be shy about expressing himself. :P

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without him leading the Cadets for 26 years (if my math isn't mistaken), who knows where the activity would be today!

IIRC, his first year as director of the corps was 1983, after being on the percussion staff for three or four seasons. That would make it 23 years "leading the corps".

:blink:

According to those quotes in the first post, George Hopkins (referenced as "GH") is the one making the remarks that require the asbestos jammies, not the reporter.

If those quotes are accurate, it certainly bears reading.

"Acurate Remaks":

They are quoted "Verbatim".

Happy Reading.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

I believe that recognition goes to Bill Kemmerer

"Bill Kemmerer":

If there is a "Father" for the GARFIELD Cadets, it is he. It is extremly gratifying to see him remembered. Indeed his entire family was involved with the corps in the "Forced Transition" from the Holy Name Parish drum corps into the independant Garfield Cadets. He didn't move the corps to Pennsylvania either.

The "Garfield Story" is very well told in the Volume #2 of 'History of Drum Corps". I believe there is a pictiure of several of the assembled corps directors that preceeded the Hopkins tenure.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

• 1 year later...
I think you summed up what many fans feel. You respect and enjoy what he has accomplished on the field, but disagree with his vision for the future. I don't understand why so many folks have such a difficult time with that. The activity needs people willing to explore new ideas. There is a check and balance in place - a rules approval process. To date that process has kept the most controversial of GHs ideas out of the activity.

I hope he sticks around.

+1

I agree. Some tried to turn that into meaning GH felt drum corps was too similar to marching band. If you saw the whole thing, it was obvious he meant he wanted drum corps to become marching band.

You had to ignore all of GH's rules proposals and the entire presentation, then you could get a different meaning but some did. Amazing.

umm, im pretty sure that is also a misrepresentation.

wasn't the whole presentation about marketing drum corps and what not, and he had the drum corps=marching band thing to signify that to the general, uninitiated public, that they were to the same thing? that's how i understood it. i'm pretty sure that it had nothing to do with whether he thinks drum corps should move away or towards mb.

umm, im pretty sure that is also a misrepresentation.

wasn't the whole presentation about marketing drum corps and what not, and he had the drum corps=marching band thing to signify that to the general, uninitiated public, that they were to the same thing? that's how i understood it. i'm pretty sure that it had nothing to do with whether he thinks drum corps should move away or towards mb.

You are correct. He used that expression to make the point you illustrate.