What would you like to change?

I like retreat..... and as a spectator, it was one of the things that drew me to the activity.

after marching, I gained a new respect for retreat. It's ok.... but, it's kind of a pain (in all aspects).

I think I'd rather see the normal retreat schedule back, but not require it at every show. Those nights of DM only were fantastic little breaks. It made the night end before midnight!

Yeah, retreat is fun... but I'm sure I'd get tired of it every night. So bring back the way it was a couple of years ago.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna say that!!

I think compulsories with standard skills and no deviation from a set of moves would be kind of a cool thing.. then I would make the compulsories judged on a tick system of specifically defined criteria.. things that must be done a specific way.. within a specific range of meter and space. One drill for everybody. Guard basics and skills requirement the same for everybody. Music charts the same for everybody.

Field shows would be judged by and with all current rules just as they are right now but the ultimate points breakdown would be a 200pt scale.. 100 possible for the field as it is now and 100 possible (20/B, 20/P, 20/G, 40/MM Ex) for compulsories. The final score will be a tally of the total field and total compulsory score.

I'd show up for that every time.

Stef

would you judge it simple on uniformity within the group? or would you require that all corps adopt the same technique of marching, spinning, etc? for example, some guards do peggy spins...some don't even know what they are.

would you judge it simple on uniformity within the group? or would you require that all corps adopt the same technique of marching, spinning, etc? for example, some guards do peggy spins...some don't even know what they are.

For the purposes of compulsories.. the style would be clearly defined and each corps (at all levels, regardless of size or age) has an equal opportunity to score well.

The style may (and probably will) change yearly, as will the selections and compulsory drill. The compulsories should be drawn up and decided upon by the judges so they are absolutely clear as a group, what they are looking for specifically and what constitutes a tick.

Stef

For the purposes of compulsories.. the style would be clearly defined and each corps (at all levels, regardless of size or age) has an equal opportunity to score well.

The style may (and probably will) change yearly, as will the selections and compulsory drill. The compulsories should be drawn up and decided upon by the judges so they are absolutely clear as a group, what they are looking for specifically and what constitutes a tick.

Stef

personally, i think it'd be pretty hard to adopt a new style every year. what if one year the judges chose to do straight leg technique? everyone but the cadets (who already use this technique) would have a pretty difficult time getting it perfect in one season.

I'd add in retreat for the bigger shows. Especially for Regionals, I would guess that everyone spends all day at the site anyway, so not much is really gained by canceling retreat. I've heard that the smaller show sponsors didn't want to lose retreat while the regionals kept it, but my own opinion is that retreat alone won't increase ticket sales all that much in relation to the Regionals.

I would put a bonus into the scoring, rewarding corps who play new music, not something that's been used before. Sure, some remakes are okay, so I decided against a penalty, but the best shows are the shows that take chances.

personally, i think it'd be pretty hard to adopt a new style every year. what if one year the judges chose to do straight leg technique? everyone but the cadets (who already use this technique) would have a pretty difficult time getting it perfect in one season.

Ah, but that's the beauty of compulsories. If it was easy, where would the skill come in? If it's hard, that means it's a challenge.. and if it's a challenge, it's an opportunity to excel.

Since I'm the Empress of Drum Corps, show me you're capable of teaching basics.. meaning technique.. not just YOUR technique -- ANY technique.. show me your kids are capable of taking your instruction, processing it and maintaining it SEPARATE from the technique they use to march their field show with.. show me you can get the kids to understand basic principals of guard.. weapons and silk work that is consistant.. Compulsories is NOT about how the kids do what they do.. compulsories is about showing me that your staff is WORTH what I give you for creativity and "genius" by proving you really CAN teach a bunch of ragamuffins how to do something they couldn't do before.

It won't be creative and gorgeous.. but do that ON TOP of the creative and gorgeous and expressive stuff. Show me you can do BOTH. Adapt, grow.. learn something that ISN'T fun so that a new appreciation grows for what IS fun.

Stef

Unless I missed it no one has asked for G horns back (or at least the banning of Bb)

I hate all the stuff brass players and drummers are doing! Leave the dancing and smiling to the guard. I want members wearing the corps proper to be serious again...no waving to the crowd, shouting, marching out of time, standing however you feel.

AND WTF IS UP WITH SNARE AND TENOR LINES BREAKING FORMATION AND JUST CHILLIN' FOR THEIR FEATURES??

I liked Cadets 2005 tenor feature, that kind of posturing doesn't bother me, adds to the attitude IMO, they are all lined up and you can easily watch their hands for syncronicty. Something like BD 2001 on the other hand, the tenors are pointing every which way. That takes away from the effect of the solo, does not add to it, IMO.

- A cumpulsory round, kind of like figure skating used to have, where corps members must demonstrate marching and playing fundamentals.

- Kazoos. Lots of them. I don't care how, just do it.

- Repertoire approval by yours truly, and other people to be named at a later time.

- 10 year moratorium on West Side Story, Malaguena, Chic Corea Music, and Gillingham's Stained Glass.

- Scoring incentives for corps that play Mahler.

Hate to tell you this but figure skating has done away with the compulsory round.

I'd hate that one...I loved the Cascades and the airplane they made last year...plus the Crown Technology show of a few years back...some of my personal faves.

Other than adding WW, not much I'd change. ^0^

the airplane on the flag was fine... but all those big boxes and thigns were way too much for me.

I had a hard time w/that show just b/c I was too distracted by all the "stuff" to actually watch the marching.

Hate to tell you this but figure skating has done away with the compulsory round.

That's why I said "A cumpulsory round, kind of like figure skating used to have, where corps members must demonstrate marching and playing fundamentals."

Read the whole thing, ######! :P