Cadets post ballad clip for 2006 show

Posted this on the other "Cadets camp" thread...but does anyone else get "Canon" stuck in their head while listening to this?

I was thinking that while listening to the clip. It sounds very much like the Canon. Hmm...maybe I'll do some fooling around with Finale to see how they both line up.

Edited by ravedodger

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone mentioned Freelancers 1985 & Emmanuel? That was a magnificent use of vocals in a drum corps performance.

See also '84 Freelancers.

So what does your statement have to do with this thread? If I remember correctly, this thread is about Cadets ballad, not the Crossmen. After last season, any comparison between Cadets and Crossmen would be rather silly. Obviously you're entiltled to your opinion, however, the direction you attempted to take this thread indicates another agenda.

So now we can't compare corps? Should we throw out the scoring system too? Maybe we should just give everyone a cookie and a latte for just showing up!!! :music:

sounds like canon in D

intonation problems

brass line should strive to not sound so harsh at loud volumes... it should feel like the sound is enveloping the listener, not pricking him in the eye with a laser.

Phrasing is not all together

In general should try to achieve a darker sound on a piece like this... more singing like

Was this recorded indoors or on a field? It sounds like indoors to me, maybe that's why there's a bit of distortion in the sound and a little too much shimmer. I'd say the line's sound quality is 'up there'. They are putting a nice amount of air through and don't sound anemic.

wow. 2 observations...

This is the first time I've listen to a drum corps and noticed a CONSIDERABLE difference in the way the piece is written. Vocals are so obvious, and I can't wait to hear them... it will be BEAUTIFUL!!

Second, people who immediately dismiss something as bad because they hate vocals or amps, etc. - you look VERY foolish. At least give them a chance to put it in performance!! Also, if you don't like the way things are headed, stop buying tickets, going to shows, and hating on all the corps... There are plenty of us who will still go, and go WILLINGLY... It's not only unattractive, but unecessary and very annoying to continue to be defiant and just badmouth and insult corps and individuals. This is the direction corps are going, deal with it.

sounds like canon in D

intonation problems

brass line should strive to not sound so harsh at loud volumes... it should feel like the sound is enveloping the listener, not pricking him in the eye with a laser.

Phrasing is not all together

In general should try to achieve a darker sound on a piece like this... more singing like

wow. <**>

wow. 2 observations...

This is the first time I've listen to a drum corps and noticed a CONSIDERABLE difference in the way the piece is written. Vocals are so obvious, and I can't wait to hear them... it will be BEAUTIFUL!!

Second, people who immediately dismiss something as bad because they hate vocals or amps, etc. - you look VERY foolish. At least give them a chance to put it in performance!! Also, if you don't like the way things are headed, stop buying tickets, going to shows, and hating on all the corps... There are plenty of us who will still go, and go WILLINGLY... It's not only unattractive, but unecessary and very annoying to continue to be defiant and just badmouth and insult corps and individuals. This is the direction corps are going, deal with it.

I agree with you SCVsopAaron, and I, too, think this is going to be beautiful and well performed. But do be careful about how you approach those who do not like this clip, or hate amps and vocals. One of the great things about DCP is the ability for all of us to "sound off" from time to time. There are a lot of changes in drum and bugle corps...always have been. As the activity continues to change we really need to hear the other side. We need different perspective and ideas...a sort of counter-thought to the norm, or to the change, or to the proposals. It doesn't have to get personal, but I would prefer to read what people really think. Going to shows willingly, as you suggest, is always a good thing, but we don't want a situation where you either conform or get lost. Drum and bugle corps will need to be somewhat diverse in order to appeal to a broad range of fans and styles.

Personally, the clip sounds great, but obviously not perfect or as musical as it needs to be. But it's early. I am hoping we can get a clip or two of the Bluecoats up soon. They sound fantastic right now, but hey, way to go Cadets.

Jonathan