DCI and DCA's relationship? (curiosity killing me)

And why do we think that this would (is that a word?) attained in a competitive nature? Myself, I support both financially?

Because I'm sure if you asked the Powers-That-Be of each organization, they'd rather have 80, 90, or 100% of your drum corps money than 50% of it.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you and some others, that may be a valid case. But I wonder just how many others are that much forced to choose between the two.

Fans in the Northeast will have to choose on August 5th. Ask that day's show sponsors whether it's an issue or not.

At MCL, it's mostly adults at the moment. Although, I'm missing camp due to an out of town gig right now so I don't know who showed up this current weekend. Maybe we got a bunch of youngins to out number. PERHAPS THOUGH...(based on what I said on the last paragraph), that is the most legit example of where DCI and DCA are competitive. However, it doesn't look like either are hurting due to a lack of participation. The DCI corps cut numerous people every year. Some DCA corps AND EVEN ALUMNI CORPS (evidently by the Bridgemen's latest announcement) cut from time to time as well. So both seemt to be doing fine. Therefore, I doubt it's THAT big of a competitive issue. At least not enough for a "dividing" excuse.

Huh?

First of all, while many division I corps may be cutting people (especially drummers), many of them still have to work at filling horn spots, and there are quite a few division I corps that field far less than a full corps.

Secondly (and more importantly), there isn't even one division II/III corps that has no issues with recruiting.

As for DCA, recruiting is obviously an issue there too. DCA corps recruit tirelessly 366 days a year to get to where they are (which in many cases is a half-full corps).

Like it or not, to some extent, DCI and DCA do end up competing for people, both recruits and fans.

I think the most extreme example of this was when the DCI Pacific Division stopped paying appearance fees to all-age corps, with the rationale that ticket sales were being lost whenever people opted to march in a "senior corps" instead of sitting in the stands. They actually figured that the ticket price, multiplied by the number of marchers, was roughly equal to the fees being paid to these corps; thus, they felt fully justified in revoking the appearance fees. (Of course, junior corps have never been punished for recruiting kids away from the ticket-buying public.)

I think it's valid for DCI to say that marching ends at 21.

The activity, as it is experienced through DCI, ends at 21.

In my three years of marching div 1, I think I probably met 5 people, in my own corps and others, who had ever marched senior corps. Most of the members I know couldn't even name more than two senior corps.

DCI and DCA are two completely different animals. I think modern fans who are fans of both are the exception, not the rule.

DCI and DCA are two completely different animals. I think modern fans who are fans of both are the exception, not the rule.

and that totally contradicts my experience going back to my first DCI's in '92 in Madison. i spoke with alot of people there who were fans of both.

and that totally contradicts my experience going back to my first DCI's in '92 in Madison. i spoke with alot of people there who were fans of both.

Well, that was Madison. Drum Corps' Mecca.

I live in Texas. DCA is nowhere to be seen or heard, for the most part. I know Frontier and GCS are around, but I think most people here are too concerned with their own marching band to care.

Well, that was Madison. Drum Corps' Mecca.

I live in Texas. DCA is nowhere to be seen or heard, for the most part. I know Frontier and GCS are around, but I think most people here are too concerned with their own marching band to care.

so what you were saying, that fans of both is an exception, was just conjecture at best based on your area of the country but not the whole country over all? :huh:

so what you were saying, that fans of both is an exception, was just conjecture at best based on your area of the country but not the whole country over all? :huh:

Based on my experiences in this area, yes. I've also marched with people from all over the country.

I think you'd be surprised how many of the members in the top corps don't care about senior corps.

If they don't care then that's their choice.

But those who want to continue marching should be made aware that DCA exists and would welcome them, probably with open arms. DCA staff's are fully aware of the capabilities of any person who has aged out of a DCI Div 1 corps and would trip over themselves to get that person in their horn/drum/guard.

But to make it sound like DCA shouldn't exist? Well, that's short sighted. And, if you want to see how much DCA means to me, I'll show you my ring, and how much I cherish it.

Based on my experiences in this area, yes. I've also marched with people from all over the country.

I think you'd be surprised how many of the members in the top corps don't care about senior corps.

no, quite frankly i'm not surprised as the members are focusing on what they are currently involved in which is DCI. if i was marching DCI i'd be thinking short term, i.e. what is going on in the present, as well.

but that doesn't go along with your original quote.

I think modern fans who are fans of both are the exception, not the rule.

members and fans are 2 different animals as well. you are guessing at best that most of those members in top corps won't care to continue with marching at any point in the future or care about even seeing a DCA show, thus making them fans of both. that's a rather big leap you are taking. i'm not trying to say that all will either.

BUT you're original comment that fans of both are an exception and not the rule is not something i've come across in over 15 years of being involved with drum corps. there are plenty of cross over fans that enjoy both activities, DCI and DCA.

*editted for spelling*

Edited by LegalEagle50

I am not a spokesman for anyone in this thread, but the fact is that DCI and DCA have been working for their mutual success quite a bit lately.

As one example, if you look in the last copy of DCI Today, you will see an large advertisement encouraging people to march in a DCA corps after they age out.

Also, DCI corps have started occassionally appearing in DCA shows, and vice versa.

It's all good.

Edited by drumlaw80