Brace yourselves...

I heard the clip

Reminds me of Enya and that style of singing/music.......

Not sure if I am going to like it.....(I am pretty set against amps and vocals/narration...especially vocals/narration)

For an effect like this I think it needs to be indoors to pull it off......you need an echo or reverb of some sort. I don't think the equiptment the corps are using can do this properly.......

Triple Forte

This might be the only drum corps song in history that would sound better in a gym! I like it, but I am worried about intonation and it needs reverb. If she has an off night with her voice, like any brass player does with their chops, she doesn't have 63 other brass players to cover it up. I think by summer's end, the balancing issue could be cleared up, but I agree with previous posts that the range seems a little too low for her. I just imagine hearing this in a big, outdoor stadium as compared to the Alamodome. I can't wait to see it, but when she's mic'd, one small intonation problem on any note would make you cringe. Another thing...just like when making a business plan, you need to have a contingency plan, or backup plan if something goes wrong. If she gets sick on tour, the ballad suddenly turns into a bunch of chord progressions with no melody. Don't get me wrong. I really like it and I'm not being negative. You just have to be prepared. You can still play a brass instrument with a scratchy throat. But again, the first time this part of the show "clicks," it will be a beautiful moment.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original is written in that lower end. I had forgotten about that. :)

Although, I do agree...I tend to favor higher-pitched female voicing myself...seems like it woudl lend itself more to the "ethereal" quality that they're trying to portray with "Through The Looking Glass".

Actually, pitch problems aside, I was happy to hear the voice sounding in the lower register. I think that, first of all, that range will be more comfortable on the ears of those who might be on the fence regarding vocals at all. The higher female voice can (but not always, I recognize) sound a little screechy or shrill, even when sung well. My personal opinion is that the voice will also blend better with the brass when sung in the lower range.

As for the Hoppy issue, I have immense respect for George Hopkins. And I think that the attention that these relatively controversial issues put on him rather than The Cadets might well be by design. But my suspicion is that, rather than seeking accolades, it's more about deflecting criticism from his staff. Just my thoughts...

I'm not a YEA donor (probably should be as I have ties to Crossmen) but to me the difference between George and most other corps directors (including the likes of Bill Kemmerrer and Hugh Mahon at Garfield) is that George makes the changes in the organization about him, not about the Cadets.

As much as I disliked BDs show last year, it was THEIR show, not one person's call for attention. It's time to put the emphasis back on the corps, even if it means going back to mainstream shows performed with awesome quality.

If you've listened to George at all, you will no that last years show was not at all about him. It was 100% about the members. We always take end-of-season surveys and there was an astounding number of veterans who wanted to be like the Cadets of old, especially those who had been there a number of years. Not in the traditional way, but in regards to pushing the envelope. Members who pride themselves in the tradition of The Cadets are more concerned with taking things to a new level that drum corps hasn't seen before. The way I've always viewed Cadets is doing what no one else has done before in drum corps and I formed this opinion back in the "old" days in 2001 when Bb was the big deal.

Is that it? Who cares

I liked the show a lot, as did many other people. :music: Not sure what he's getting at, but its surely worth ignoring.

I just realized that I got this email, and so I went and listened to it..

my initial reaction is that it's not terrible....

but, it also doesn't do much for me. Seems to be change (or addition) just for the sake of doing so, and not so much that it adds some huge element that is lacking w/just instruements.

so, it's tolerable, but I'm not sure I find it necessary.

Im sorry....well, I guess I'm not really "sorry," but I'll simply admit that I don't like it. Don't like the piece (although it IS basically just a long chord progression), dont like the performance (I know it'll clean up, obviously, but for now, that release was pretty awful and the then-16 mellos stuck out a lot), and didn't like the voice at all. It doesn't add anything to the corps' sound that couldn't be contributed with a horn, or add anything to the level of beauty a corps can convey during a ballad. I listened to it with an open mind, and I simply just really don't like the ballad at all. Doesn't come across as effective to me in the least.

I just realized that I got this email, and so I went and listened to it..

my initial reaction is that it's not terrible....

but, it also doesn't do much for me. Seems to be change (or addition) just for the sake of doing so, and not so much that it adds some huge element that is lacking w/just instruements.

so, it's tolerable, but I'm not sure I find it necessary.

i mostly agree...you lost me at tolerable :P

since I am going to East to support a former student, i'll get to see it. I doubt i'll enjoy it, bt i will be respectful....and i wonder how it will be balanced outside. IMO, if this were an indoor program, it would work a lot better.

plus, one mechanical failure, and the effect is lost. not that the score will reflect it.

it's voice for the sake of voice. this song could be done just as well without it, and maybe actually reach drum corps fans on a more emotional level with just brass and keyboard percussion

In case you didn't know and since the thread was shut down........the actual link to the mp3 was posted on the original article from the front page, no e-mail necessary....scroll down and enjoy.

I personally like it......wonder what tweaks will be done before finals, great potential.....some problems from the last recording in horns fixed wonderfully (like sop pitches, whatever else)

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/artman/publ...icle_3286.shtml

PS Anyone know if this sounds similar to the richland hills girl rumored to be the singer?

Edited by Musical_Spinner