So what ever happened to that amp petition?

People at shows who didn't know about amps being added, for one.

The whole point was to let people know that this was happening and make a fuss over it.

DCI didn't want to draw much attention to the issue because they figured it would be detrimental to the cause.

Thus...if you're on the other team, you should want to draw as much attention as humanly possible to the issue.

I know & understand the reasons, but seriously, how many people did NOT know amps were being added. I mean even if 50,000 people signed it, you had to know it would go no where.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'll be honest with you, the amp issue doesn't actually bother me all that much. I know *I* wouldn't use them, but thats neither here nor there, it hasn't yet really detracted from the experience for me (of course...I attend the San Antonio show....indoor venue...so the amps are more likely to function correctly).

My actual pet peeve is the mic being used for singing. I don't mind SINGING, mind you, but soloing via a mic is not something I want to see really, and thats just my opinion.

Fortunately...I doubt we'll see the day when EVERY corps decides one year to do a show that is vocalist-heavy.

Thread growing faster than I can keep up with :P

IMO #1: Getting a petition up sure beat the alternative of sitting around grumbling and doing nothing.

IMO #2: If you don't speak up then the other side (in this case DCI) assumes you are happy or don't care.

And to add to gelufs point about people not knowing about the amps petition I emailed a few who only go to DCI Finals week and don't get DCW. First they heard about amps was when I told them. All support DCI but almost all signed for variuos reasons.

I know & understand the reasons, but seriously, how many people did NOT know amps were being added. I mean even if 50,000 people signed it, you had to know it would go no where.

Average Joe Fan that isn't as die-hard as we are (I mean, look at us, we visit MESSAGE BOARDS about corps! :P ) likely would not have known.

Also, I DID know it wasn't going to change anything when I signed it, but I always feel that when you feel something on an issue, you should follow through...so I did.

Average Joe Fan that isn't as die-hard as we are (I mean, look at us, we visit MESSAGE BOARDS about corps! :P ) likely would not have known.

Also, I DID know it wasn't going to change anything when I signed it, but I always feel that when you feel something on an issue, you should follow through...so I did.

Point taken. B)

First of all, I'm not sure that the petition drive was handled well; if I recall, it was only online. Furthermore, it was compromised by those who are "pro" amps.

I was on the fence about amps last year, so after much thought I decided not to sign. However, the more I think about it, I'd be up for signing on to a petition voicing displeasure for amps IF it where a real petition drive using actual paper petitions. Could be accomplished relatively easily by organizing here and then each of us volunteering to take a set of petitions to our local shows. If we word it correctly, and get enough signatures, and if we could get coverage in Drum Corps World, I think we could make DCI sit up and pay attention.

BTW, my reasoning for finally going against amps is two-fold. First, the amped pit throws the balance between foreground and background WAY off; as this year's APDs (as well as recent Championship recordings) attest, too many corps have the pit mics cranked so high that you can't hear the field performers. Second is safety reasons. The rain we've been having here the last few days has got me thinking: what happens if an electrical storm brews out of nowhere? Over the years, I've been at shows where a storm brewed out of nowhere - WHILE a corps was on the field. It's bad enough to have to grab traditional instrumentation and get it off the field; what about all this electrical equipment? Is there not a serious danger of electrocution? Are we willing to risk young people's lives for the sake of "progress" - especially when we have 30+ years of recordings to PROVE we didn't need amps in the first place? Would a corps or DCI survive a lawsuit of parents whose child was seriously injured or killed because they were too close to an electrical system when it shorted out (rain storm or otherwise)?

This has probably all been covered before, but I think in all seriousness it needs to be considered again - especially the safety factor.

Can someone provide a link to it.

Nevermind I found it on my own. Then signed it.

OK, define "fine'?

It got enough people up in arms to the point that the directors didn't vote to take it further (they were considering electronics that year, and it got smacked down by the directors).

That's how I define "fine"