West Coast Scores

it will all even out when regions meet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a judge sees a corps for 4 nights in a row, sees improvement in that area, then of course the score will increase.

but if you look back at the recaps....the judges are rotating within their caption....the guard judge Friday might be judging Visual GE Saturday, or visual ensemble on Sunday.

Question for everyone....why is it every year everyone talks about the "inflated west coast scores?" Why is it that those scores can't be accurate, but everyone else's can be? Maybe the midwest and east scores are inflated. I don't really think some of the scores at Lisle (IL) should have been as high. Just because corps are afraid of the mountains, doesn't mean their scores are more correct.

Good post, Stef, but I disagree with this to some extent. There are set criteria in this activity, it is just not as defined and sometimes dependent on the interpretation of the judge.

<snip>

The same can be said with the visual aspect. Good marching is still good marching. Clean visual forms are still clean, and good intervalic structure is not going to change. These are basics that all the corps must adhere to.

Well, if you look at the sheets, the guidelines are pretty clear. Presuming that these judges are all on the same page since they go through training from DCI, the interpretations should be relatively accurate from judge to judge.. and they are, actually.. the spreads between corps are typically dead on.. it's the numbers that vary and are usually higher on the west coast to start out with.

In that way, yes, the interpretation of the individual judge is at work.. one judge may see something in mid box 4 and score it a few points differently than another..

And yes, good marching is good marching.. but you can't look at Cadets and Vanguard next to each other and declare one "better" than the other.. because for each marching technique, they may meet the same box criteria equally.. (consistency, execution, etc).

Stef

but if you look back at the recaps....the judges are rotating within their caption....the guard judge Friday might be judging Visual GE Saturday, or visual ensemble on Sunday.

Question for everyone....why is it every year everyone talks about the "inflated west coast scores?" Why is it that those scores can't be accurate, but everyone else's can be? Maybe the midwest and east scores are inflated. I don't really think some of the scores at Lisle (IL) should have been as high. Just because corps are afraid of the mountains, doesn't mean their scores are more correct.

As it's been rehashed and rehashed again, I guess once more won't hurt.

Judges are expected to pay attention (NOT NECESSARILY BASE THEIR SCORE UPON, but PAY ATTENTION) to the previous scores. It SUCKS but they are. I have seen judges in critique outright attacked verbally because their score on that night dropped in a caption from a previous night. Not just one time.. many times.. it's common. It's even more common when a judge was there the night before -- even if he or she was judging a different caption.

Everyone talks about west coast inflated scores because the scores on the west coast tend to be inflated. I lived there most of my life and I never believed in the inflated score claims either.. then I moved and can see that corps coming out in different regions are about the same execution levels and talent levels across the board from what I saw EVERY YEAR for almost twenty years on the west coast.

Just because you want them to be, doesn't mean an inflated score early in the season isn't inflated.

Shall we re-visit this conversation when they all meet up and scores for west coast corps either stagnate or drop.. or in the unlikely event that other corps scores suddenly jump?

Stef

The 'inflated scores debate' comes up each year, and usually for only one major reason:

when a corps from the west coast has a score higher than any corps from any other part of the country.

If the Devils and SCV were scoring 72 and 70 right now, I doubt there would be many posts decrying 'score deflation' :wall:

It's irrelevant really, as we'll all find out what the judges think in the next few weeks.

wrong.

all the scores will jump.

Dude, you state that with such authority that I almost hate to say it, but....

Wrong.

At least historically, this has not been exactly the case. Oh, to be sure, there are a few years when scores have -as you say- "jumped" when all the corps got together, but historically, the scores do even out.

What might be most affected is the spreads. Spreads will start to increase or decrease depending on the particular scores, but historically speaking, with East coast scores a bit low and West coast scores a bit high, the Midwest scores are the ones that give us a good approximation, not of the scores we'll see when everyone comes together, but of the spreads.

Edited by The Tsar

Ever since I marched back in the mid-80s (and probably longer) the scores out west have always been higher than those in the midwest and east early in the season.

It all tends to sort out as the west coast corps move east as the season progresses.

Also, as the west coast corps move east as the season progresses they will see new judges so no matter how many times a west coast judge sees them, that judge won't be with them all summer.

As a staff member in 96 at Regiment I tracked every judge and every score we recieved.

There were judges we only saw a handful of times, and I am pretty sure there was one judge who only saw our show once before she judged us at DCI finals week.

Not much has changed over the years so don't sweat it.

It all tends to work itself out in the end.

I don't know if I buy that.

If Cali move ins were really the cause...then the Cali corps should always stay ahead of the game all year. Obviously, that doesn't happen.

No, no... they have more polished shows at the beginning of the year because they've had more practice time. Eventually that advantage gives way.