The Fall of The Cavaliers

The only comment I am not impressed with is the leaving the horns on the bus. I think that was being a little rude. I understand there are some people who don't care for some of the more recent Cavies show music. I personally have loved every Cavies show since 2000, as well as every show before, but since this post is post 2000, that's where this opinion will focus.

I agree with the poster who thought Cavies had the closest to a 50-50 audio visual presentation. And while I have enjoyed the audio from the past 6 years hundreds of times, I have also enjoyed the DVDs hundreds of times as well. Probably the most watched/listened to corps of the last 6 years for me.

And I can also see where is someone didn't care musically for Cavies 00, they may not care for 01,02,03 and 05 either, as there are some musical similarities, in the music and way the music is set up and arranged.

And just wondering, Phantom007, what are some of your favorite musical performances over the last 6 years? Do you have a certain corps or style that you enjoy more than the others? And which corps do you feel do have the "total package" as far as music and visual combined?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that the people who are getting really worked up are the ones who disagree with the original poster. The "Cavies borg" if you will :P

Hmm...

Well, I don't think I could be considered a Cavies Borg...considering that they were my primary rival when I marched.

I agree with *some* of the things the original poster wrote, I just think he could have:

a) used his 1st post on DCP more wisely...built up some "coin" in the community before tackling an issue like this...

B) said it in a less "spiky" way.

That being said...while I enjoy the Cavaliers' productions, of the last 7 shows of theirs, I've only truly liked 2000 and 2004 as far as music is concerned.

Because people have different tastes and we come to a discussion board to discuss those tastes. Variety is a good thing because it gives people more chances to find a corps that they really like, even if they don't like all of them. Some people don't like the music of the Cavaliers, why shouldn't they say so?

You're right, if I listened to the APD over and over I could probably sing or hum the Cavaliers music this year... I just wouldn't have any desire to

But why not? I bet if you listened to it over and over you would actually begin to like it. Too bad we let bias rule our lives.

I struggle with it myself, but lately I've been wondering what the point is. If a corps is good, they are good, no matter who they are.

Edited by Jayzer

I haven't been "into" Cavaliers music for some time (1992, 1995) but the original comment about "leaving the horns on the bus" was pretty unnecessary - obviously they play extremely well - better than practically anyone.

I would like more meaningful arrangments from the Cavaliers - its extremely visually effect based - and I don't see it as much more than a "soundtrack" approach to programming. That said - a lot of folks love movie soundtrack music so it has broad appeal and obvious value.

There's no questioning the quality of the performance - that's for sure.

How trollish do dis sound?

"Does anyone else find that because of our board of directors leadership, visuals are now overemphasized and ALL music is becoming secondary?"

This is my opinion. Corps would have to sacrifice their 'top 3' aspirations if they wish to buck the trend and pursue a more musical approach. Music for corps is becoming like music for gymnastics - just kind of...there - a chopped up and glued back together mess, that is actually LESS unified in my opinion than the 'suite-like' structure of older shows (which were actually more abstract, in a way: music without bogus amatuerish attempts at 'program music') No wonder people "don't connect anymore"

It's not the fall of the Cavaliers. You're just feeling the inevitible symptoms of withdrawal from your addiction - the childless addiction to cheap novelty. Read these threads - a lot of people are feeling let down as they see how hollow flash can be. "'Tis a gift to be simple..."

I've started thinking of Mr.s Hopkins/Fiedler, et al as lowbrow Wagners. Big fish from a tiny pond with delusions of grandeur, ever questing for their semi-pro McGesamptkunstwerk (sp). The grand unified Opus that will prove their GENIUS!!!! Oy! It's such a 19th century played out idea. This idea that more and more visual and technical complexity represent achievement - that's so adolescent. and of course, they have EVERY right to follow that path into it's inevitable dead-end, (and more power to 'em - it sure livens up the board for the troll community)

What sucks is, there seems to have been a decision made by DCI to prop this idea up - regardless of the product. The amps squeeeeeeeel and the points keepa flowin'. The entire integrity of the system is undermined, and it's score-fixing - simple as that.

I'm going to have to agree with the original poster on this one. While the Cavies' visual program is brilliantly designed and extremely entertaining, and while the musical and visual elements are masterfully coordinated, the musical score itself leaves me cold. To my ears (and they are fairly austute, musically educated ears) there is little, save for the ballad, that I would call a true melody; rather there is passage work, chord changes, textural and timbral shifts, and motives that are repeated in ostinato-like fashion, but very little in the way of linear melodic construction.

Having seen the show live 3 times now, I can honestly (though somewhat sadly) say that I've yet to be truly drawn in by the music. I've yet to retain or remember a single theme, despite having closed my eyes to purposefully concentrate on the music. Now, what is being played is being played beautifully and with great skill but it seems to lack the inherent visceral and emotional content of well-constructed melodic writing.

But why not? I bet if you listened to it over and over you would actually begin to like it. Too bad we let bias rule our lives.

I struggle with it myself, but lately I've been wondering what the point is. If a corps is good, they are good, no matter who they are.

As someone who wanted to march in the Cavaliers for a while and really likes a good portion of their stuff from the 90s (95 Cavies is one of my favorite shows of all time) I think I can manage to put my competitive biases aside when considering drum corps shows. In fact, when I was competiting against you I wanted your show to be as good as possible, because then beating it would be that much sweeter. I want to like every single drum corps show that I watch, and I want them all to wow me, even if it means that my alma mater doesn't take home the gold.

As much as I wish it were different, a lot of the recent Cavies shows just don't do it for me. I don't feel any desire at all to have listen to a show 30 times before I start to like it.

The Cavaliers of 2006 are proving that with a few rings, and a top 2 finish in the last 5 years, it's acceptable to write music that makes no sense. Let's start this journey of poorly styled music in 2002 with everybody's favorite: Frameworks. Obviously this show made sense visually and "rocked everyone's world" but musically, I find myself lost and confused. 2003 saw another visually acceptable show with poor music choices, and I still find myself asking... Why? 2004 will give the "gods of drum corps" a break from criticizm seeing as how it's hard to musically screw up a straight forward concept like James Bond. 2005 saw a dull lifeless show trying desperately to connect with music that makes sense, but doesn't excite the senses. I'm not attacking the Cavaliers visual department, there's no sense in that. What I'm trying to say is that the Cavaliers would be just as good if they just left their horns on the busses.

Final Thoughts: Why build a machine if it's not going to do anything new?

Wow, that was witty. Dare I say your post would be just as good if you just left your thoughts inside your head? :P

Seriously, every once in awhile, a post comes along that unites many of the people on DCP. Sure, we may disagree sometimes, but for the most part, we can smell a troll. Thanks. :lol:

Edited by LanceSquire

I have always wondered this....and it is off topic. I lurked for 2 years before I got a log in. Since I got my log in, I bet I haven't made 20 comments. What do think about lurkers? Trolls vs. lurkers. Lurkers vs. Trolls?

Debbie