Rockford, Illinois- Show of Shows Scores

Okay, you know what, forget it. There's no point in arguing this. You run the place. Midwestern fans are the worst. East coast drum corps fans are angels sent from heaven to love everybody. But out here, we're just monsters. Yep.

I never said that stuff. <**>

And I don't "run the place" B)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...21 pages in less than 24 hours!

This will probably get lost in the shuffle but I have to compliment the PR volunteers and staff. This was my first Midwest show (other than regionals and championships) and it was so cool. Not only did the show go off without a visible hitch, but the Rockford community really gets behind their corps. A First Class show! Congratulations to Greg and the rest of the board.

Thanks!

I have to deflect most of the credit to John Baumgartner and Rick Valenzuela, though. John does a great job handling the logistics (experience is such a valuable thing) and Rick took over ticketing when I left Rockford at the end of March for a job in Florida. The work involved in ticketing -- mostly the last week or two before the show -- is indescribable and the job got dumped on his lap along with a zillion other responsibilities. I owe him more beer than he can possibly drink. (Actually, he's a lightweight, so I guess it won't cost me much beer!)

I was still involved in getting publicity and pre-show setup and stuff, but Show of Shows is John's baby.

We're glad everyone enjoyed the show. For those so inclined, think about sending a note to our big sponsors (Rockford Register Star, Insight Communications, BeefaRoo) to let them know. Kind words from fans to the businesses who support us are incredibly valuable.

G

For those so inclined, think about sending a note to our big sponsors (Rockford Register Star, Insight Communications, BeefaRoo) to let them know. Kind words from fans to the businesses who support us are incredibly valuable.

Seriously! :o

I suddenly feel much better about paying my cable/internet bill! Ironic that they sponsor a show, and allow me to post about drum corps at the same time. :D

I never said that stuff. <**>

I think you've been a little unfair to midwestern fans. ONE corps, ONE got a poor reception last night, and it happened to be the same corps that has been getting lukewarm, at best, receptions at various other venues. It's not like there were popcorn buckets landing on the field. It's just that, you know, it was getting late, and we'd all been sitting down for a while, and MAAAAAAN we were all just so comfy on that warm summer night that we didn't really need to stand up and stretch immediately after the Cadets finished. And I mean, we WANTED to clap and stuff, but we'd clapped a lot for Carolina Crown and the Blue Devils, and man, our hands kinda hurt, you see, so we had to take it easy so they weren't too sore to applaud Phantom. That's all.

Edited by Studio Tan

I think you've been a little unfair to midwestern fans. ONE corps, ONE got a poor reception last night, and it happened to be the same corps that has been getting lukewarm, at best, receptions at various other venues. It's not like there were popcorn buckets landing on the field. It's just that, you know, it was getting late, and we'd all been sitting down for a while, and MAAAAAAN we were all just so comfy on that warm summer night that we didn't really need to stand up and stretch immediately after the Cadets finished. And I mean, we WANTED to clap and stuff, but we'd clapped a lot for Carolina Crown and the Blue Devils, and man, our hands kinda hurt, you see, so we had to take it easy so they weren't too sore to applaud Phantom. That's all.

my statement had NOTHING to do with last night - it was brought up by someone else who was at the show last night. I made the statement based on 30 years of following this fine activity. There's a big difference between midwest audiences and those from the west, south & east. I stand by that statement - anyone questioning it can refer to the Star years for further proof.

my statement had NOTHING to do with last night - it was brought up by someone else who was at the show last night. I made the statement based on 30 years of following this fine activity. There's a big difference between midwest audiences and those from the west, south & east. I stand by that statement - anyone questioning it can refer to the Star years for further proof.

I'm with you George 100%! I was there in Kansas City in '89, '93 Jackson, '03 in Orlando ... etc. etc.

The Phantom Regiment fans booing Star everynight when they marched on the the field in 1993 still makes my blood boil <**>

FWIW, I've been following and/or participating in the activity for more than 30 years. I've marched in corps in the east and midwest. I've attended dozens of shows in the east and the midwest. I find the argument that midwest fans are different from any other fans just plain silly. I attended a number of midwest shows in 92 including finals and I personally believe the degree of Star-booing that is claimed is overstated. Even if the severeity of the booing was as bad as has been argued, it is still absolutely illogical to claim a general negative midwest fan response based on something that happened at 3 shows 20 years ago.

I was also at the show last night. I have not read all 23 pages of this thread :beer: but from the little I have read, get the sense that someone along the way tried to claim that this midwest negativity was directed towards the cadets last night. Please. The cadets were warmly applauded last night. I personally was very conflicted about how to react to the Cadet's show. I personally didn't like the singing, felt the tables were ineffective, and found the storyline hard to follow despite reading about it here. However, like my fellow fans around me, I applauded at every impact point in the show, and cheered the corps as they trooped off the field.

Eric

of course the guard staging fits - that was my point - it fits the same way the flowered backdrops, pink benches and white rabbit fit Cadets "through the looking glass"

but if Cadets had guys in S&M masks - well, the discussion on DCP would be all about that "outrage" IMHO

Double-standards runs rampant these days on this forum

Err, no...Phantom Regiment's show is an exciting, entertaining, emotional, amazing DRUM CORPS show with no cheesy, distracting, insulting, non-musical amplified vocal elements. And the Cadets' show, well, isn't.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Err, no...Phantom Regiment's show is an exciting, entertaining, emotional, amazing DRUM CORPS show with no cheesy, distracting, insulting, non-musical amplified vocal elements. And the Cadets' show, well, isn't.

"A 'Drum Corps' Show':

He shoots, he scores :worthy:

Elphaba