Season Pass Review after Indy

So last weekend was my first experience with the live stream this year (I was in Europe during the others). Overall how is Season Pass doing? The content is greatly improved over last year, the technical issues are also better but to a lesser extent, and there still are other minor issues in other areas.

The stream was well done. Yes there were feed problems, but different from last year, an attempt was made to let us know if there were issues, that the issues were being addressed if possible, and generally a huge change in the responsiveness to the user. We really appreciate knowing that the team knows about a problem and is trying to do something!!! The effort made to get the feed hosted onto the SCV site so that those who have Macs could stream was outstanding! That is service and a big turn around from last year.

Yes, the feed was not perfect and two corps lost their chance at being in the wrapup, not good, but this will continue to be part of the issues associated with a service that must recreate its links and network from show to show at facilities not setup for this type of feed. We will have to live with this until DCI becomes funded like a national network and they can have a satellite truck, but I don't see this ever happening for anything except finals where the theater setup can justify the cost.

So how could they make this better? While I was watching the feed I was also tied into DCP's chat room. Why? Mostly to be able to determine if video and audio problems were on my side or SP's. When the picture freezes or the audio gets weird, it was nice knowing if we needed to restart IE, clear a cache, or just wait for SP to start again. SP needs to sponsor a message board as part of the service. Then we can be informed of issues and SP can be informed of issues. I'm sure it can be set up so that SP controls what is posted. For instance, if the service is down, SP can post this. If a user has found a way to work around a streaming problem, the user can email SP; SP can post the email if they want. Keeps the inappropriate nonsense off the message board that I had to sort through in the chat room. Give us a way to exchange ideas real time.

When the mike is turned off, it would be nice if a graphic would indicate this. Ricky was very helpful to tell us that the Indy placements would be broadcast and that someone would manage the mike to leave it on for the retreat. Appropriately, the mike was shut down during the long period from the Blue Devils' show to retreat; no sense picking up random unknowing comments in the box. But we had no way to know if this was a technical glitch or just the plan, particularly when the video was frozen for a long, long time. If nothing else, hang a sign in field of view of the camera to tell us what is going on, but you can do much better.

Other random comments: SP is doing much better at admitting issues when they pop up. Still this could be even better. It was too long from when the video recaps were posted after Indy until SP posted a note that the Colts and Crossmen were not included due to technical issues.

Huge props to SP for bringing us the Indy placements live! Make this a regular feature. But don't cut the audio between the scores. We want to hear the crowds reaction! Just like being there. That was great.

While streaming a live show users will get logged out of SP. Unless you go back to the SP pages and make a change between each show, when you have watched several shows and go to check other SP content, you find you are logged out. A nuisance, not huge.

The feature content is much better. But please check your audio levels from segment to segment within your longer pieces. There are many examples where audio levels fluctuate for studio segments. One segment loud, the next soft. Easy to fix during mixing.

During the off season start working to get content from both coasts into the early season coverage. It is obvious that you used some corps- or show-provided video for a few items. This needs to be planned. No real expense, but would greatly improve content.

I'm sure that others will have comments, but in my opinion the service is well worth the price. If fact, I just renewed my subscription for the next year. Most of us do not expect perfection (off the field) but we do want to know what is going on. Make that the next big push in your continued improvement of this worthwhile service. Thanks. This is good stuff.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest complaint is that the video clips of the various corps are not equitable in that some (like Cavies and Glassmen) start almost at the first downbeart whereas others (like Crown and Cadets) include 45 seconds of drum majors walking to place or waiting for the corps to finish setting up before saluting. Can't they edit the clips so that you get two minutes of actual show from EVERY corps?

So should I invest my $$ in Season Pass or not? I have been contemplating it for a while and I am not sure if it is worth it.

DO IT.

**You get to watch the shows live as they happen.

**You can stream shows from earlier in the season.

**You get a $1 discount on all APD's

**You can replay shows from 2005

**You get exclusive field photos not seen anywhere else

**You can stream shows from earlier in the season.

.....you can?

I haven't figured that part out yet I guess.

.....you can?

You can only stream 2-3 minute video clips of each corps at shows DCI covers. The only full videos you can see are during live streaming events such as Lisle, Columbia, or Indianapolis. Once the show's over, you just have the video clips. DCI did allow Season Pass members to stream full audio recordings from San Antonio and semifinals last year, however, so it's possible that might happen again this year.

.....you can?

Summer coverage

.....06 Coverage

........then just pick the day you want to see. (you only have a choice of 4 events, but it's still pretty cool.) Clips are only about 2 minutes long

So far Season Pass has been great, definitely worth the $40.

One thing that REALLY bothers me though, and this has been happening since 03 is that when we get videos of corps, it's always the same portion (usually the beginning)....I think all the clips of Cavies so far are the same part! It can't be that difficult to show us the closer....Also, don't post a 2 minute backfield clip where there is virtually no playing except from the pit, most drum corps fans want to watch the clips of the in your face loud parts!

Will Season Pass be streaming the San Antonio or Atlanta shows?