Phantom 1.025 from the lead.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavies are going to win the whole thing:)

I must also acknowledge.

I think BD and Regiment will keep it interesting, but at the Atlanta show, I was sitting with a DCI exec, several guys I marched Regiment with, and a guy who marched Star. We all thought Cavies had won tthe show by at least a point and a half.

Go figure.

The Cavies will be hard to beat, but I do believe the Regiment has a good shot at 2nd. It would take a performance on the 1996 level for them to win it all, but it is possible. The talent is there.

Edited by Jd83

I've still not seen Caves live, but I will say that the reason why I think PR has a beeter shot at passing Cavies than BD does, is because PR is essentially the "anti-Cavies". By that, I mean that PR might be able to pass the Cavies because their strengths are Cavies' relative weaknesses (music captions) while PR's realtive weaknesses are Cavies' strengths (vis. perf., vis. GE, Vis. Ens. CG). So if PR can close the gap in visual elements (which the Atlanta scores show they are capable of doing) while maintaining their advantage musically, they could catch Cavies. BD don't have the same chances. If they are going to catch Cavies, BD must have their strengths surpass the Cavies' strengths. After seeing BD live, I just don't feel that that is going to happen.

I've still not seen Caves live, but I will say that the reason why I think PR has a beeter shot at passing Cavies than BD does, is because PR is essentially the "anti-Cavies". By that, I mean that PR might be able to pass the Cavies because their strengths are Cavies' relative weaknesses (music captions) while PR's realtive weaknesses are Cavies' strengths (vis. perf., vis. GE, Vis. Ens. CG). So if PR can close the gap in visual elements (which the Atlanta scores show they are capable of doing) while maintaining their advantage musically, they could catch Cavies. BD don't have the same chances. If they are going to catch Cavies, BD must have their strengths surpass the Cavies' strengths. After seeing BD live, I just don't feel that that is going to happen.

Be prepared . . . I got my head handed to me for saying the exact same thing – and being civil about it (as you and I both were) doesn't seem to make a difference. :unsure:

Ordinarilly I would agree. . .but Cavies have a total package this summer. This is some of Saucedo's best stuff ever, IMO.

Visually, the two corps are not even on the same planet.

have you seen the recaps?

GE Music:

Cavaliers - 18.10

BD - 18.00

Bluecoats - 17.80

PR - 17.60

Brass:

PR - 18.70

Cavaliers - 18.50

BD - 18.40

Bluecoats - 18.30

Music Ensemble:

Cavaliers - 18.40

Bluecoats - 18.20

BD - 18.10

PR - 17.90

i'd be more worried about Bluecoats catching up to PR than PR catching up to BD and Cavaliers.

Edited by bluemarlin82

First of all, I must point to the highlighted portion of my prior statement to indicate that I meant that PR's stronger captions are the captions which are weaker for the Cavaliers (relative to the visual captions). The key word is "relatively" i.e. just for the Cavies, these captions are weaker than their other captions. That's all. But since you brought up recaps, I did a little analysis myself. Thankfully enough PR and Cavies have only competed head to head 4 times this year, so the numbers were easy to compare at BK's website. Interestingly enough, I still stand by my prior statement.

So here is a quick synopsis of the head to head results by caption for the 4 times they've competed directly this year:

G.E. Music: Cavies lead 3-1 (with an average margin of .375 for Cavies)

G.E. Visual: Cavies lead 3-1 (ave. margin .425)

Perf. Vis.: Cavies lead 4-0 (ave. margin of 1.025)

Vis. Ens.: Cavies lead 4-0 (ave. margin of .75)

CG: Cavies lead 4-0 (ave. margin of .6)

Brass: Cavies lead 3-1 (ave. margin of .475)

Mus. Ens.: Cavies lead 4-0 (ave. margin of .625)

Perc.: PR leads 4-0 (ave. margin .3125)

So my point is simply that the music captions are generally the stonger captions for PR (i.e. they are closer to Cavies in those than in the others). The surprise for me was the strength of PR's GE Vis. Even when you take away the win for PR in Atlanta, they've only lost by .4, 1.0, and .5 to Cavies this year. If they keep that number tight, they will have a great shot in the end.

have you seen the recaps?

Not only that, but PR (or any corps, for that matter) being above Cavaliers in brass has happened exactly once this summer.