When did drum corps make you cry

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suncoast 84 - End of Requiem, end of show (America? America!)

SCV 1988 Music of the Night push

But I was affected the MOST on Thursday, August 7th 2003.

After listening to various recordings during the season and charting Phantom's progress, then after heading to their rehearsal in Orlando the night before, only to have them rehearsing other stuff, THEN after sitting through the 2 hour rain delay...

When they hit the first impact in Canon at the beginning of the show, realizing that it wasn't all hype and they WERE that good, that powerful...

that they lived up to and exceeded my expectations... it was gorgeous.

watching the Vanguard Alumni perform at teh Vanguard show.......when they hit the bottledance, I couldn't help but cry, feeling I was finally witnessing one of the greatest things in drum corps EVER!

To think, in 03 at PR, a lot of the members really weren't sure what to make of the crowd response to the Cannon Reprise for a long time. It was really eerie, because the crowd actually got quietter when it happened (not like the cheering at semis and finals), and it wasn't until a few of us talked to an understudy that had been in the stands that we understood. There are times when you don't really cheer, you just kind of sit there and take it in (SCV 2000 and Adagio).

The only times I cried during corps were during everydays when we were trekking after having just gotten our euphs (yeah, I admit it), during Lord's Prayer at finals, and in the fall after I aged-out when I realized that I'd truly never have a chance at that experience again. Everything thing else just made me smile lot.

When The Blue Devils stopped in that cross halt in the opener ar hayward. wow. my first live show. talk about emotion.

For me it was aging out in '98. I begged my mom to take me to a drum corps show in Hillliard, OH in 1992. I was 15 years old and had never seen a live drum corps before. At some point during that show I looked at my mom and told her that I was going to do this someday. Ever since that moment, I wanted to know what it was like to perform on finals night.

Fast forward to '98. Only people who have been in "The Zone" know what it feels like to have that type of focus and determination where you can't do anything wrong. I remember ducking down and walking through the field entrance to the Citrus Bowl. I looked up and saw the crowd and the only thing I thought about was "I'm here. I did it!" I don't remember anything about the actual performance except hitting letter I of the closer and getting hit with the realization that I had about 1 minute left in my drum corps career. Once I hit the last note of the show, the 4th bass drummer, who was also an age out, and I both just started crying on the field.

I have never been that close to perfection in my life and probably will never be that close again.

At the Rockford show this summer during Regiment's encore. I don't cry at shows, but it was actually too painful to hold it back...you know that feeling when your neck just tenses up tight. And Dr. Dan was just beaming with pride! That experience they shared was simply beyond the drum corps realm and I will remember it for a long time.

Looks like Phantom has a knack for making people cry

I'll have to join that club after seeing them last night (chicken skin just thinking about it). I did ALOT of cheering for the MAGNIFICENT performances last night but only 2 made me tear up:

Cavies during their ballad. Such beautifully balanced and warm tones from that hornline.

And, Phantom Regiment. I bought the early Regiment APD and was very familiar with the show. However, I was not prepared for what I was to experience. The emotion wrought from them took my breath away (literally). The sustained notes at the end of the ballad seemed to go on FOREVER and you simply bask in the dark beauty of it. Phantom sucks you into their performance, you feel the journey, they wrap you in visual and musical splendor, and toss you out completely drained yet elated. Truly one of the most special moments I've ever experienced in all of drum corps. Thank you Phantom Regiment!

:worthy: