Cadets morale?

3. Singing... mic'd to be fair: Crown was the first offender, were they not? '04?

4. Narration: Boston '04

Well ... I think the larger point would be that amplified voice has been commonplace in the world of high school marching band for many years.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm really surprised this thread has remained open for so long...This thread is a big waste of space. <**>

Well ... I think the larger point would be that amplified voice has been commonplace in the world of high school marching band for many years.

True. I consider DCI, DCA, BOA (and other band circuits) and WGI (and other indoor circuits) to all be essentially the same family of marching, for lack of a better word, pageantry. With all the shared performers, shared designers and instructors, shared judges, shared ideas, it's all part of the same larger thing. In that way, something like drumspeak through a microphone may be fresh on the DCI field of competition in 2005, but I saw it done in 2001 at WGI by Mission Viejo HS (and done BETTER), so it's not really innovative in that sense to me. It was probably done before that as well by some other group.

Cardman, do you seriously think people are going to take his insults anymore? No, people are standing up for the Cadets, and we are sick of hearing his opinion all over the place. He even almost hijacked his own thread about a motivational poster into a Cadets 2006 bashing thread, but the right people prevailed. Besides, my comments to him stopped at a point where it would be me bashing him for the sake of bashing him. DCP Forum Guidelines sometimes give me a little laugh tho, why is it alright for one member to bash 200 people all in one post, but others can't respond back in kind? Is it a little childish, yes, I will admit that I know it is. But he's a kid, and people have tried to post logical things about their thoughts and show him the past, and then he goes back to his childish ways. So for him to understand, we've got to talk to him on his own level. After all, he basically has said that George Hopkins changed the end of their show because of him.

I've wondered the same thing about the guidelines and had even reported this thread cause I thought it was flaming, trolling, ridiculous and a waste of space, but was told otherwise. :ph34r:

I've wondered the same thing about the guidelines and had even reported this thread cause I thought it was flaming, trolling, ridiculous and a waste of space, but was told otherwise. :ph34r:

It seems that for the most part the posts stop just short of crossing the line to a personal attack.

Because none of the ideas in their show are totally new or unique ... ? Just a guess. :ph34r:

Then in that case, no show in DCI pushes the envelope.

Wow, I'm really surprised this thread has remained open for so long...This thread is a big waste of space. <**>

Yet you are adding to it.

Have you reported anyone yet?

Every corps chooses to do things as they see fit. I would HATE to see everyone go down one road, just to do what everyone else does. I want corps to be creative and different. It's not as if because Phantom did things one way no other way can be just as good.

Last year, the Cadets were among my favorites...even the talking...so was Phantom...about as different in design concept as you could get....except in one imprtant area. Both corps design staffs created the very best shows they could for their members and the audience.

Cadets 05 will be a classic, IMO. Crown 04 may get there too. It was my favorite show of 04, to be sure..not because of the use of voice...but because I found the show interesting, entertaining, and well performed...including the use of voice.

BTW...Phantom once passed out a printed libretto that told the story of their show, in 1981...10 years after the Cadets did the same thing to narrate THEIR show, in 1971.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like "Phantom does it right and everyone else should follow their example." That's no better than blasting the Cadets. In fact, I very much enjoyed 05 Cadets (sorry, 05 THE Cadets :P ) In fact, I think it IS a classic. Sorry for the confusion; one of the most fun things about DCI is the varied styles. While my personal favorite is Phantom, I love hearing their symphonic masterpieces, then ten minutes later screaming jazz from the Scouts and Blue Devils, then original groundbreakers and ridiculous drill with The Cavaliers. The variety is what makes it fun! But even the variety is controlled: it's all brass and percussion. It all is different interpretations of the activity, within the boundaries set by the BOD.* That's what holds all the different styles together is the instrumentation. That's why there's no drum corps I don't like. Even though I generally don't love the Blue Devils, SummerTrain Blues Mix is one of my favorite shows ever! And the classics (When a Man Loves a Woman, My Heart Belongs To Me) are marvelous staples of drum corps history! I love it! It's not like football, where I root for whoever's playing the 49ers or the Raiders...heh heh. Drum corps is a lot more friendly and diverse activity, and that's what I love about it.

*Don't run with that, or read anything into it I haven't said. While my personal preference is no narration, narration itself, the way it exists today, is legal.

Then in that case, no show in DCI pushes the envelope.

At one time Cadets were pushing the envelope because they were breaking new ground ('83-'86). Today because of the crossbreeding between corps and marching bands, there's really nothing new being presented. Marching bands (and WGI) are becoming the testing grounds for drum corps ideas or corps borrow those ideas and claim them as thier own.