Cadets morale?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, name a show in the past 10 years that pushed the envelope then.

In the past 10 years...none. IMO, the last real envelope pushing came when they did "The ABC of American Composers" and did "Short Ride on a Fast Machine". First time a minimalist composition was performed on the field.

OK, name a show in the past 10 years that pushed the envelope then.

Cadets '05?

Seriously, though, I haven't seen many shows since Star '93 that were truly groundbreaking, in my opinion. A lot of corps have given the envelope a little nudge over the years, but really pushing it?

By chance, did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express?

:spit: :lolhit:

OMG that's the funniest thing posted EVAR!!

Cadets '05?

Seriously, though, I haven't seen many shows since Star '93 that were truly groundbreaking, in my opinion. A lot of corps have given the envelope a little nudge over the years, but really pushing it?

I wouldn't even put that show (Cadets 05) in the category because there was nothing in that show that I hadn't seen or heard before in some other marching medium. Was it neat the way they incorporated a lot of those things into that show? Sure. But I saw nothing earth-shatteringly groundbreaking in it.

Edited by rut-roh

Well, though my indepth knowledge of the history of the activity is somewhat limited, I'm fairly sure nearly all of what the Cadets are doing has been done before:

1. Today's drill complexity: A product of the Michael Gaines era making everyone step-up to the Cavaliers AND the Zingali era which was lead by none other than the Cadets.

2. Large amounts of props: The only two corps I can think of with the insane amount of props like the Cadets have is VK and Star when Star did the circus show.

3. Singing... mic'd to be fair: Crown was the first offender, were they not? '04?

4. Narration: Boston '04

:ph34r:

That's not the issue. While I do think our ole buddy Hrothgar may be going a little over the top, here's what I think the issue is (at least for me): I have no problem with voice in a show, as long as it's used properly. BAC 2000 comes to mind. I can even tolerate a little singing, as in 2004 Crown's ballad or 2006 Cadets' ballad, even though I'd rather hear brass and percussion alone. Think of all the great Phantom Regiment ballads. There's no singing, and those are the classics. Now, where I draw the line is using voice for narration. 2005 Blue Devils, or the "It's the Beat Gen-er-a-tion!" part of 2004 Crown. I think it's cheesy, and personally I prefer show concepts which render voice unneccessary. Even storylines can be complete without voice, check out 2006 Phantom Regiment. What they've put on the field is beautiful. It's very demanding for the guard, but that's what they paid $1800 for, remember? They didn't pay all that money so someone could tell their story for them. So it's not that voice is unmusical, it's just that many feel it does not belong in an ensemble of brass and percussion. Period.

Every corps chooses to do things as they see fit. I would HATE to see everyone go down one road, just to do what everyone else does. I want corps to be creative and different. It's not as if because Phantom did things one way no other way can be just as good.

Last year, the Cadets were among my favorites...even the talking...so was Phantom...about as different in design concept as you could get....except in one imprtant area. Both corps design staffs created the very best shows they could for their members and the audience.

Cadets 05 will be a classic, IMO. Crown 04 may get there too. It was my favorite show of 04, to be sure..not because of the use of voice...but because I found the show interesting, entertaining, and well performed...including the use of voice.

BTW...Phantom once passed out a printed libretto that told the story of their show, in 1981...10 years after the Cadets did the same thing to narrate THEIR show, in 1971.