Cadets morale?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this is still open? Unbelievable! I'm glad I had no morale problems when I was taking 18th, 21st and 23rd (hey, at least I made the albums) when I marched in the Jr. circuit. Glad I didn't lose any morale when a penalty dropped us from 4th to 6th at DCA in '03.

Give it up, Hrothgar. Sounds like the Cadets are proud of their show and doing just fine. Good for them. They should be. And that goes very everyone else out there stepping out on the field. From Div. III up to DCA.

So, do I at least get a few points for still defending a show I don't really care for? B)

Edited by skajerk

In whose opinion?

Mine

P.S. If a show can be a cheesy, immature, corny, stupid, farcical mockery of a drum corps show and still come in top 5 at DCI, it must be one heck of an awesome show!

Or one screwed up adjudication system

I believe Hrothgar has said he is/was a woodwind player (is that correct?) from a very fine HS marching band program - Lassiter HS. Excellent program, excellent band - several time BOA champions. Very large band.

Hrothgar, why don't you take up brass or percussion and try to get in on the fun and challenge? As much as you seem to be devoted to drum corps, do you not have an interest in marching?

Or...he can just wait until WW are permitted. ^0^

I am very interested into hearing what he has to say about my earlier comment about 1990 Bushwackers, where they spoke into a Bullhorn at certain points of the show.

Just one quick edit, I realize that I myself don't know everything about drum corps nor would I ever profess the knowledge. My point is that looking at history, this isn't the first time vocals have been used in a drum corps show, and at least in one case prior to 2004, there was an "amped" vocal in a show. I wasn't around back in 1990, so I can't say I know what people think of that show, but I have some gut feeling that it wasn't like this.

That was a great show. I judged them on Percussion Effect at the Barnum Festival early on and Percussion Analysis later that summer.

Hmm...that's actually pretty interesting. I disapprove of any non-musical additions to the auditory portion of a drum corps show. So I guess where it gets "bad" is when there are English words spoken for an extended period of time. The fact that they are amplified makes it worse, because it is so loud. But I disapprove of any use of electronics in drum corps, even the amping of a pit. I'm all for an all-acoustic, non-electronic performance.

Voice is a musical element. Why do you think it is 'non-musical'?

Man, I'm lucky that you people haven't given me as much #### for not marching as you've given this guy.

Now that you've told us all, expect to get some grief for it sooner or later. I've had the "you never marched" card played against me a number of times. :ph34r:

After a show for the town they had a feast of steaks, chicken, pork chops, baked potatoes, seafood linguine and salad.

They ate better than I have in a week! :o