Cadets morale?

BS. the kids didnt write it. even in my reviews, while i did make more than few comments about horrid design, i always gave the kids props for performing it as best as theycould.

I say BS back at you. The members live and breathe their show...it is a huge part of what they are doing with their summer. Calling a show 'horrid' is not constructive in the least..it's totally destructive.

BTW...I am not referring to comments like "I don't think that X is working for them because of Y". Those are not destructive comments.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course if you march with any of the big corps such as BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV, etc. you always expect to win or be close to the top. But ALL of those corps have had clunkers in the past 10 years; most have had more than one.

From what I understand, Hopkins instills a very healthy "it's not about the scores" attitude with his corps -- every year. I imagine most corps have a similar attitude; it would bite to have your season be viewed as a "failure" just because you didn't win on Saturday night. Also, I think while everyone has bad days, members of most corps (not just Cadets) "drink the Kool Aid" when it comes to their corps and show. If they didn't like the organization, philosophy or show concept, they would have left during camp.

I can't speak to morale of any corps. I imagine they wish they were scoring higher but I doubt any director wants members whose attitude goes down the tubes when the scores aren't there.

Wow, I seriously can't believe this is the first show ever to be called that.

Oh wait, I guess some no named group that no one has ever heard of before called the Bridgemen, or some other no named corps out in California VK would EVER do stetch the boundries.

I love how one thread you tell everyone that the members themselves should be proud of the hard work, then you bash them in another thread.

I'd like to say how useful your opinions are to everyone hear, but I'll follow the forum guidelines on this one. Yes, you have a right to an opinion, but you don't have to remind us it 50 times a freaking day! %$&@!

Seriously, give it a break. Almost everyone on DCP is sick of hearing you trash them EVERY post, even when you say they are hard working, you find a way to put them down.

I would like to personally thank you for turning DCP into RAMD. Thank YOU!

Hello? Admins? Why isn't this type of behaviour being stopped? These people have been shamelessly bashing Hrothgar through much of this thread...how sad.

I have seen some people on this site just crucify this corps. I have never seen anything like it before. I don't even want to hear that you hate the product, but not the kids, THEY ARE THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please...I hate the product. The kids are NOT the product. They are PERFORMING a product. You CAN seperate them. The kids didn't design the show. That is all.

As I understand it, next year the Cadets will be moving to HCI - Hrothgar Corps International. You get to bust your butt all summer, and then during finals week, a teenager who has never worn any corps' uniform comes along to publicly ridicule you. I'm sure we'll look forward to Hop's blog posts about that transition all next summer, and Hrothgar's 102,034,972,123 rebuttals on DCP.

In the meantime, the Cadets are still in DCI. So I'm sure their morale is just fine, as they prepare to receive a standing ovation from the tens of thousands of fans that they will entertain this week. I watched finals week rehearsals from the 4th place Cadets in 2004. There was a little bit of wry humor about the scores, but they were working hard, and they seemed to be having a great time presenting their show. I don't imagine it's any different for this year's kids. You might take a minute to consider that finals placement may not be as important to the members of the corps as it is to the fans posting on this board!

And, Hroth, give it a rest already! We all figured out what you think of their show somewhere around June 1st. Why don't you show your maturity by abstaining from comment on the Cadets this week?

More Hrothgar personal attacks...

Have you noticed a trend lately? People are tired of hearing about it from you.

I think it safe to speak for the masses in this particular case.

You don't speak for me, TXMystreaux. By the way, there's that "ignore user" function. Just use it, for goodness sakes...

OMG, Hrothgar is like what 12 years old? Dude, PLEASE shut your mouth and wait a good, lets say 10 years, before you start talking about design and show construction. Go march some where, teach for a while and then design a little before you trash other corps choices with regard to show cocept. Most of the designers out there are trying to STRETCH and PUSH the envelope of the activity, not stay in some pigeon hole.

Another personal attack. It's really sad how you "fans" will attack someone because they are young or have not marched corps. You aren't allowed to have an opinion unless you're over 30 (guess I'm safe) and have marched in a corps...

To everyone who was attacking Hrothgar in this thread: "Ignore user" or quit complaining. Talk about hypocrites...

Edited by Cardman

Voice is a musical element. Why do you think it is 'non-musical'?

That's not the issue. While I do think our ole buddy Hrothgar may be going a little over the top, here's what I think the issue is (at least for me): I have no problem with voice in a show, as long as it's used properly. BAC 2000 comes to mind. I can even tolerate a little singing, as in 2004 Crown's ballad or 2006 Cadets' ballad, even though I'd rather hear brass and percussion alone. Think of all the great Phantom Regiment ballads. There's no singing, and those are the classics. Now, where I draw the line is using voice for narration. 2005 Blue Devils, or the "It's the Beat Gen-er-a-tion!" part of 2004 Crown. I think it's cheesy, and personally I prefer show concepts which render voice unneccessary. Even storylines can be complete without voice, check out 2006 Phantom Regiment. What they've put on the field is beautiful. It's very demanding for the guard, but that's what they paid $1800 for, remember? They didn't pay all that money so someone could tell their story for them. So it's not that voice is unmusical, it's just that many feel it does not belong in an ensemble of brass and percussion. Period.

Even storylines can be complete without voice, check out 2006 Phantom Regiment.

Phantom's show must have changed alot in recent weeks. I saw them in both MA and GA (beginning and end of July) and had difficulty following their show. I got that it was about Faust and had something to do with evil and good by reading the program, but that was about it.

Cadets ballad is gorgeous this year, vocals and all. There, I said it.

I still think - from what I've been able to hear so far - that they should cut back on the volume some, have the vocals mesh better with the rest of the corps, rather than dominate them.

In general, I like vocals as long as they stay musical. Singing and even chant, that works for me. It's the spoken word narration that I find frustrating.

I have to defend Garfield in the criticism they got on one of the first 100 pages of this thread. They came into the San antonio stadium and sat POLITELY watching the other corps. Are they susposed to jump up and down and applaud crazily? Or should they have yelled you suck like people yell at them? They for once got to watch some shows, a rare opportunity when you are always going on next to last so leave them alone. They exhibited class by sitting and not causing a commotion. Hate the show all you want. I enjoy it and alot of others do also, we just don't spend countless hours slamming other corps shows. They are creating history, whether good or bad, people will remember this show for decades. PS, I hate amps and vocals but times they are a changing, roll with them or get out of the way, but add woodwinds and I too will be gone.

Cadets ballad is gorgeous this year, vocals and all. There, I said it.

I still think - from what I've been able to hear so far - that they should cut back on the volume some, have the vocals mesh better with the rest of the corps, rather than dominate them.

In general, I like vocals as long as they stay musical. Singing and even chant, that works for me. It's the spoken word narration that I find frustrating.

I agree on all points - great post!

Hello? Admins? Why isn't this type of behaviour being stopped?

If you've mastered the 'ignore user' feature, the 'report' button should be a piece of cake.