Was There a Worse Year for Entertaiment Value

In a thread like this, I think we all know that music/entertainment is a very subjective thing. As George (post #7) stated, It's a matter of taste." Even the posters on the "One of the greatest years for drum corps" side disagree with what corps they like and didn't. For example, some stated they loved Glassmen and Blue Knights, other stated they didn't care for those shows. I believe good points have been made on both sides of the debate. I don't believe ANYONE, including the thread author is criticiziing the members themselves. Obviously, they are all talented and extremely hardworking performers.

On the "Great Year" side, for me, the Cavies were absolutely FANTASTIC! They performed a show I will not forget. And I loved Phantom and Bluecoats as well. And I thought Spirit had one of the best shows, even better than some of the higher placed corps. Crown entertained me as well.

On the "More Entertainment Please" side, for me, after watching some classic corps of the 70' and early 80's, I will just say that I can understand why some feel that while the performance level of today's drum corps is high, the entertainment level could be improved upon in some shows. Is it possible that nowadays, SOME corps designers think judges more than audience when designing a show? Who's to say except the designers themselves. As Ace Holleran stated, "Choose music that makes great drum corps shows." I guess we're back to "It's a matter of taste" again.

I thought Big Bad Bari has an interesting statement: "When the crowd yells as loud as you can play, you find the thrill of drum corps." Well, if we're being honest here, how many corps members have experienced that? If not, why do you suppose that is? This reminds me of Allentown this year. I saw all the corps that evening, but had to leave right after the last division I corps. While walking by the creek, I heard some of the loudest applause I had ever heard. I wondered who was performing. Encore by BD perhaps? Later, I found out it was 27th Alumni performing. At that same show, I was walking by DCI's souvie booth. A very large mass of people, blocking the flow of foot traffic was standing around the tv screen. I thought DCI might be giving away something, then I came back to reality. They were watching some old 27th Lancers years video.

So, I think we're back to "It's a matter of taste." I love the Cavies of 2006, but I also love the Scouts of the late 90's and the 27th Lancers of the late 70's/early 80's. Drum corps shows can be very subjective things. Just my thoughts.

Edited by HISop

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree with the original poster as well, I thought 2006 was very entertaining. Not one show that I didn't like and only a handful that I just thought were okay, and I saw all Div I corps execpt for Pacific Crest and Pioneer.

If this is one of the 'worst' years in terms of entertainment value, I hope it continues to get even worse, 'cause I loved it! :P

I think it was an ok year for drum corps. I thought 2004 was much better.

The show that literally gave me goos bumps was The Academy. I downloaded their APD last night and listened to it a few times already. The Academy had the best show this past season, from what I saw, hands down.

Now that you mention goosebumps ... I definitely have to say that I got more goosebumps from more shows this summer than I have in a long time. A lot of thrilling moments this year.

Esp Blue Knights ^0^

Actually, they are one of my own highlights of the year...but I read what you wrote in another thread. :)

Please again I mean no disrespect for the performers they are quality kids all of them...but the overall direction is going away from total entertaiment and towards playing for ourselves.................

That's what I thought starting in 1994-1999, overall. Boring and esoteric as all get out. I think 2000-2006 have been a great repreave from the first grouping of years that I mentioned. For me, the stuff from around 83-93 was the most exciting OVERALL musically, but the 2000-2006 has been the second best overall grouping. Go figure..... Different strokes for different folks!

I think 2006 was a FANTASTIC season for competition and a mediocre one for program content, top to bottom.

I agree with you! It is called Drum and Bugle Corps. The reason for the word bugle is that the instruments are supposed to be conicle "G" instruments. The reason for that is that they are wide open instruments that can handle masses of air running thru them. Why all the air you ask? Simple: VOLUME!!!!!!!!! The instruments that are used today may be fairly decent in terms of quality but... THEY ARE NOT AS LOUD AS THE OLD G HORNS.

I'm calling BS. White team is still retardedly loud.

I thought it was a great year for Drum Corps entertainment wise, corps I usually don't like were the corps I found myself telling others how entertaining their show was. I guess it is opinions, but all of the people that I went to shows with and talked to that went to shows this year (from around where I live) were talking about how entertaining the corps they saw were, even down to the lower placement corps they saw (and yes, some of those people were at Madison for Finals).