Any news of staff changes for 2007?

Just heard from a college friend that OC & Cascades may merge possibly with Spokane Thunder to produce a Div 1 , Div 2 & Dive 3 corps with OC as 1

I'm on Staff with one of the corps you mentioned, and I have heard that rumor, but it hasnt been from anyone on the board of directors or corps directors--it has been from members of another corps--and I usually dont ride on that. Care to elaborate to me in a PM. I usually don't air anything, unless I know exactly what it is, and if it is true. Just out of curiosty, how would OC be Division I, when Seattle is currently Division I. Logically speaking, if they merged, I think the respective corps would stay in their divisions, but would operate under one organization (kind of like how The Cadets/Crossmen do)... Now I am not sure if that is what was said, but I will not post anything, because it is clearly a rumor.

The region itself is not in a position to field more than one Division I corps (in my opinion). I could go on about that, but that is how I see it. The density of music education and music programs in the Pacific Northwest is very dry compared to California and regions like it.

Why don't we let the Board of Directors announce any changes, before we start making assumptions about things we really dont know or have any control over. :)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again I say - will there be a Crossmen for the next season? Going to be tough - I would be sad if this corps folded or was dissolved in some way. Who is going to draw the kids there to this corps? I know I said it before - the caption heads should be changed today.

I thought YEA was saving Crossmen...?

Who makes the staff decisions there and why are they trying to turn it into an experiment?

I always thought the dynamics of drum corps were so different than marching band that you really needed experience around just to keep things on track. Even the best marching bands aren't working as hard everyday as a typical drum corps on tour is, IMO, and they certainly aren't riding buses every other day and sleeping on gym floors while they do it.

Actually the drill designer - Bobby Jones was great at Reading and if you would look at the video from last year, it was better at Reading and would have gotten in the top 12 with that show.

Reading Buccaneers = planning + staff preparedness = successful season

But he was the only staff member with REAL senior corps credentials and the only cpation head used to structuring / running rehearsals.

Jimmy Steele, brass caption head at Crossmen, marched and taught at Empire Statesmen in the 90s.

The senior people aren't used to tour and are likely less prepared for it than many band people. I have seen Bucs. Drill was good for senior. Not likely top 20 in DCI

Wow...

Your seriously saying that a band director that rehearses with his/her students one week a summer, then a bunch of a afternoon and evening rehearsals is somehow more prepared to teach a drum corps.

I would say it simply comes down to the person. In some cases your right, but in some your wrong.

Although to balance out your point. Mike Madonia who worked for Spirit this summer went on his first tour in 2005 as Pioneer's brass caption head and this year on the brass staff for Spirit, having not marched drum corps nor touring previously. This is also one of the reasons he is a wonderful instructor.

On the flip side, I would stay on the side of not making a blanket statement that a band director is more capable than a band director, and this coming from me, a band director.

By the way the visual changes I heard about for Boston was design which in my opinion they desperately need.

I'm surprised to hear that, given that in 2006, Boston was on their third drill designer in three years.

I guess the corps is having a hard time finding a groove without Kevin Ford, eh?

I thought YEA was saving Crossmen...?

Who makes the staff decisions there and why are they trying to turn it into an experiment?

I always thought the dynamics of drum corps were so different than marching band that you really needed experience around just to keep things on track. Even the best marching bands aren't working as hard everyday as a typical drum corps on tour is, IMO, and they certainly aren't riding buses every other day and sleeping on gym floors while they do it.

I agree with you 100%

I have heard from a few people that some of Glassmen's front office is growing impatient with Brian Hickman. They love him as a director, but they really want to get back the competive edge they had back in the early 2000s. Rumor has it that this next season is a big one for him.