Amplification catching on in marching band world

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's Scarlett Johannsen...who you might have seen in "Match Point, "Ghost World" and a few other films. :)

I have poor resolution. I thought it might have been Kylie Minogue which would have been okay, too. I usually don't read your post, I just like to see your avatars.

Kidding.

I'm in favor, of course -- but I wish your daliance with Winnie Cooper would have lasted just a bit longer ... :laugh::angry:

That particular one was squashed by the Standards and Practices here at DCP. :)

It was a little too racy for the younger set we have here.

While others have pointed out that marching bands have been using amplification and singing for years -- and they have -- I would suggest that cavaliers2287 is probably right too. I foresee that many more bands will now follow suit now that Cadets and other corps have been featuring singing, narration and amplification.

You know, if the goal of DCI is to innovate, then why not try an avenue that has not been done? Woodwinds are old hat! What about strings? I don't know of any marching art form that has used strings. However, not being a string player, I don't know how feasible that would be. I'm sure that amps would be necessary, but it would at least be new. I guess some of the board of directors will still think that adding clarinets and saxes is somehow innovative -- perhaps they should become band directors. I just don't see the value in reinventing the wheel.

If I had my druthers, DCI would have stopped "evolving" around 1999. That is, G-bugles with any number of valves, no amplification, no synths, only non-amplified singing and non-amped speaking parts, full pit, etc. Not that I haven't enjoyed drum corps since 1999, because I have (BD 2004 is among my favorite shows of all time). I would have just preferred that some of the coming rule changes had not occurred.

Gerge Rogers Clark HS had a "fiddle" player in one of their shows around 90-93. Strings have been done too. Bands have synths too. I really hope DCs don't do this. Also, my old HS band had a bass player way back in the 80s. I hope that doesn't happen in DC either! Sorry, but it doesn't work.

Nothing wrong with that idea. A micced string section sitting in the pit, or on a platform on the field, would be a great idea.

Or course, if you tried to march the cello section it would look like Woody Allen in "Take the Money and Run" whre he played cello in a marching band doing a parade. :P

strings have been done in marching band. Washingtown Twp from NJ.

they sucked, but they were done