Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

??

I think they mean that the approach taken (the choice to resign) was a principled one in view of not supporting the actions and direction of the full board, and are looking to you for verification of that personality trait as someone that knows him.

That's how I read it.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I didn't particulary like the uniforms of the last 4 years, I did like all the shows. 2006 was by far the most "NOT" Madison show ever. I hate to see someone loose their job, but hopefully they will make a decision, and stick with it for more than 4 years.

I think they mean that the approach taken (the choice to resign) was a principled one in view of not supporting the actions and direction of the full board, and are looking to you for verification of that personality trait as someone that knows him.

That's how I read it.

Thanks for the clarification.. my brain is pretty much mush by this time of day..

Yes.. what little I know of Marty Redmann is he is a man of great principles.. I might even go so far as to consider him a Great Man of Principle. I have the utmost respect for him and I know it wasn't an easy decision for him to make -- particularly given his love of his corps and the guys who march there today.

It's a hard thing to watch your friends go through.

Thanks. :)

Now, then...I don't think we should underestimate what Sal did for the Scouts, bringing them up to 6th place in three short years. Let's not think this is an automatic return to mid 90's Madison (there were a lot more design minds at work than just the director in those years), nor is it an automatic signal that Scott Stewart is returning.

I'll be the first to admit on first blush it's an opportunuity full of potential for the Scouts to remake themselves again; but I hope this doesn't turn into a old school/new school argument.

2007 Madison isn't going to be playing "Slaughter" or "Ice Castles" any more than the Cavaliers OTL next year is going to be "Bully", so let's eliminate that thought process.

Who can merge the visual punch that the top tier requires now with the Madison brand identity?

I believe that there is plenty of material for the Scouts to explore out there, while returning to a more fan friendly type of style. Agreed, we don't need to see a return to Malaguena, but I do believe one of the falts of the scouts the past several years has been the lack of ability to connect with the fans. Not saying this was Sal's fault by any stretch.

Sal Salas is a wonderful man who stepped into a nearly possible situation and succeeded right from the get-go. He should be congratulated and saluted!

Congrats Sal, great job!!!

Edited by Newseditor44

Thanks for the clarification.. my brain is pretty much mush by this time of day..

Yes.. what little I know of Marty Redmann is he is a man of great principles.. I might even go so far as to consider him a Great Man of Principle. I have the utmost respect for him and I know it wasn't an easy decision for him to make -- particularly given his love of his corps and the guys who march there today.

It's a hard thing to watch your friends go through.

Exactly. And that is why I stand by them. If you know what has been lost, you have no choice but to stand by them. What a horrible day this is for many of us. I liken it to the death of a loved one.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision that was made here, but then again I have never been part of the Madison Association nor do I know their inner workings. I guess they know what's best for their corps and I respect that. It feels like this decision though was based on emotion more than what good Sal has done for the corps. Contrary to popular belief I feel they were headed in the right direction.

Is alum Nick Williams ready for a director's job yet?

Madison Scouts announce new direction for organization

8/22/2006 -- 3:14 PM CST

From a Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association, Inc. press release:

At their post-DCI meeting on Aug. 21, the Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association, Inc. board of directors voted to not extend the contract of Sylvester Salas, who has served in a dual role as executive director of the organization and director of the Madison Scouts since 2003.

Salas is an alum of the Scouts and also served on the instruction staff for several seasons after his ageout year. After leaving Madison, he worked with Spirit of Atlanta and Glassmen, as well as his own winter guard, State Street Review, in Madison. The guard is the holder of the longest winning streak in WGI history.

Board President Jeff Manion stressed that the Association recognizes and appreciates the contributions Salas has made over the past four seasons, producing field shows, hiring staff and managing a business that represents 135 young men, a vast alumni base over a 68-year time period and scores of volunteers and boosters who are scattered around the United States, Canada and the world.

The board will soon announce specific details of its plan for the future of the Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association, Inc. and the corps. Members, supporters and fans can rest assured that the coming seasons promise great things for the Madison Scouts.

Wow,Thanks for the news lets hope it will be for the better and not tare down Madison Scouts.

The WordRider Yeaah!