Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

I am very very disappointed in Madison's BoD's decision. I know they have NO CLUE as to how many members will NOT be returning because of this move! MANY, many will NOT be returning, I can guarantee that!

Well in any event it cant be anymore than didnt come back after Stewart was forced out. Change is hard and it doesnt come easy but what I want to know is what this means for Mike Cesario. Sal brought Mike in and from my view in the few times I saw Scouts in rehearsal or at shows it was Cesario who seemed to be filling the emotional support role last filled by Scott.

Scout fans as well as the organization are much like Packer fans. We have this notion that they should always be competing for the title not just being competitive. Stewart was forced out because his last three finishes averaged into the bottom 3rd. Sal had 2 8ths, a 6th and a 9th. Clearly the Board didnt like the direction change. I suppose if youre going to can a guy who kept you at least in the middle of the pack for most of his years because of 3 bad years, then its not really a surprise that a guy who doesnt improve on that is going to be shown the door.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in any event it cant be anymore than didnt come back after Stewart was forced out. Change is hard and it doesnt come easy but what I want to know is what this means for Mike Cesario. Sal brought Mike in and from my view in the few times I saw Scouts in rehearsal or at shows it was Cesario who seemed to be filling the emotional support role last filled by Scott.

Scout fans as well as the organization are much like Packer fans. We have this notion that they should always be competing for the title not just being competitive. Stewart was forced out because his last three finishes averaged into the bottom 3rd. Sal had 2 8ths, a 6th and a 9th. Clearly the Board didnt like the direction change. I suppose if youre going to can a guy who kept you at least in the middle of the pack for most of his years because of 3 bad years, then its not really a surprise that a guy who doesnt improve on that is going to be shown the door.

I don't know that I've ever cared that Madison was in title contention...even in 1995, most knew they wouldn't win it all. I just cared about being entertained and wanting to throw children at the end of the show. :)

However, it's an interesting dichotomy...supposedly, under Scott the last few years (2000, 2001, 2002)...the old ways of "big and loud" didn't work. The visual and guard scores brought the corps down towards the end of his tenure.

But, trying the newer ways visually and music chart-wise the past few years yielded somewhat similar overall results; but with some improvements in the captions along the way.

So, where do you go from here? There's no way to capture lightning in a bottle like with 95/97/99...nor can the Scouts try to be a sort of "SCV Midwest" like 2006. The Catch-22 is apparent, as you've already pointed out.

It's going to take a amazing person to reconcile the two extremes the Scouts seem to be at by listening to some of their fans and alumni. I hope it all works out for the best. :)

As a fan, that would please me to no end.

Thinking objectively, however, I don't think Mr. Stewart will be returning.

Not ever, never.

After seeing the Scouts 2006 show & uniforms, I for one am thrilled that the Scouts BOD made the decision to change directions. I know that Sal is a Scout alum, but the Scouts have completely abandoned the traditions that made the Scouts unique. The Scouts today are a generic drum corps who have lost their identity, & therefore no longer get the wild crowd reaction that we were known for. I happen to think that you will see some of the old school scout traditions return, first & foremost of which will be a return to a uniform that will resemble the classic scout uniform, as well as a return to exciting music that is musical rather than a race to see who can play the most notes & run the fastest drill. And while they are at it, PLEASE hire some staff members who actually marched in the scouts...& get rid of the bando's. I want to see the scouts march like Men rather than running around the field in chiep looking jester uniforms...& what the #### was that the color guard wore? The scouts are an all male drum corps...please look & act like it! No more Michael Cesario please...

I smell a very accessable & exciting show from the scouts in 2007! The return of the Scouts!

I liked the direction they were going in last year and this year. Oh well. I'm sure I'll like whatever they put on the field. Very rarely have I not.

i couldn't agree more. in my opinion the lack of "power" most complained about this year was directly due to the new visual package they had. they were moving faster and doing harder drill than the scouts have done in years. it would've taken some getting used to, but i believe in year 2 with rosander and salas at the helm we would've seen the total package. guess we'll never know. don't mean to sound like a downer, but i have no clue what direction they're taking after making a move like this.

the Scouts have completely abandoned the traditions that made the Scouts unique. The Scouts today are a generic drum corps who have lost their identity

*sigh*

I wonder, did you speak this very same opinion directly to the face of the 2006 Scout whose shoulder you draped your arm over when you sang "never walk" together with him on Wednesday night?

Edited by ScribeToo

*sigh*

I wonder, did you speak this very same opinion directly to the face of the 2006 Scout whose shoulder you draped your arm over when you sang "never walk" together with him on Wednesday night?

I would never do that to a scout. The would have been just a little bit rude & uncalled for dontcha think???

The kids in the corps are not at fault for the direction the staff took the corps.

Actually, they are hiring ME as director...I am looking for a female singer already. ^0^

Heh.

That would be almost as bad as if they hired me...back to two-valve G's and "Return of A Drum Corps Fans Dream, Part III: End Of Days" :P

Either way, someone would hate it! :lol: