• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Rick Valenzuela steps in at PR.

I like it.

weeeeeeeeeeeell you know how it goes...rumors are rumors are rumors.....etc

^0^

Talk to Hughie about taking over! :P

Hughie?

Did you see this years show? No Scout tradition or sound whatsoever.

Yes, I saw their show A LOT while working the food program for the corps. What I was principally reacting to was your assertion that the kids and the staff had no sense of the tradition. The kids certainly understand what it means to be part of your great heritage. The staff made sure of that. I sat with the kids in the guard during your performance. They knew darn well who wrote most of the rifle work the alumni performed.

As for Scout tradition or sound, you'll have to be more specific. This year's opener didn't do much for me, but, then again, neither did a lot of tunes from the Scouts' "golden years." . I liked the ballad a lot. If DCI allowed for tunes to be played multiple times like back in the 70s and 80s, I could see Gabriel's Oboe becoming on classic on the order of Ice Castles. The third tune was just fine by me - right in the Madison wheelhouse.

Edited by Jim Anello

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice lol :P

I'm an alum of the Madison Scouts...not an alum of Scott Stewart...and that means that I support the corps in whatever direction they choose to go..even if I don't always agree. -J

This may be the most eloquent thought posted on this subject. Good drum corps are good organizations - not personality cults.

I sincerely hope that, as a result of the alumni project, that more alumni get closer to the current corps, no matter who is at the helm. Visit a rehearsal, work an event, cook for the corps, whatever. It does a world of good. I worked the food program finals week, and I can tell you that the fellowship that occurred that Wednesday night at Mansfield Stadium did a world of good for the kids. They were all grins as they scarfed down pizza and brownies after the show.

I for one sure get tired of some of the "old timers" complaining about today's Scout's not being "real Scouts" or not continuing "the tradition". I can tell you this...I have taken hundreds of my high school band members to DCI shows for many years. In the past five years it is EASILY the MADISON SCOUTS and the CAVALIERS that most of them talk about, wear their shirts, and want to see on the DVD.

Those kids really know very little of the Scouts of the 70s-'90s. I do tell them that the Scouts are a great part of DCI history, but like most young people they really don't care about history. They only know, or care, about what they've been able to see live and it is the current versions of the Madison Scouts that excites them.

If some of you folks would take off your green colored glasses you might see what many of us have seen and heard all along. The Madison Scouts are STILL the Madison Scouts. Just observe the excitement when this corps is marching into the stadium. Just listen to the ovation at the end of the show. It's all still there!

I have a feeling that 15-20 years from now the 2 shows from 2005 that will be considered as "classics" will be The Cadets "Zone" and Madison's "Carmen Project".

Sal Salas and company have done nothing but add positively to the history and tradition of the Madison Scouts. Thank you Sal. I hope you stay involved in the activity for many years to come.

To the new director...what an honor you will have as you help continue this great tradition.

Edited by oldbandguy

I worked the food program finals week, and I can tell you that the fellowship that occurred that Wednesday night at Mansfield Stadium did a world of good for the kids. They were all grins as they scarfed down pizza and brownies after the show.

This right here is why I keep coming back year after year.

I hope this lesson isn't lost on anyone, young or old.

I worked the food program finals week, and I can tell you that the fellowship that occurred that Wednesday night at Mansfield Stadium did a world of good for the kids. They were all grins as they scarfed down pizza and brownies after the show.
This right here is why I keep coming back year after year.

Because ..... you like brownies ?? :P

jk -- I agree with you here, wholeheartedly :)