Maynard Ferguson passes

Don't even know where to begin.....I saw Maynard quite a few times, mainly in St. Louis at either the Barn or the Plantation. Saw him in Rolla, MO also...we in the 399th Army Band got in free! Saw him and Buddy Rich at the Felt Forum in 1977 on my way to Germany.

One of the times I saw him at the Barn--it was a theatre in the round---the band came running, did a few laps around the stage before they took their places. Maynard said that he heard the army band was there so he had guys try to impress us army types with their physical fitness program.... :rolleyes:

The last time I saw him was in Madison.

The next to last time I saw him was in Beaver Dam, WI. He was talking about on the way to Madison he noticed that the bus was going past Fox Lake, WI, which is the birthplace of Bunny Berigan, who made "I Can't Get Started" a classic. Maynard yelled to bus driver "stop the bus!!" What's funny, anytime by there I drive by there, I start singing that song in tribute. Anyway, Maynard had the band play "I Can't Get Started" that night......you could tell that it had been awhile...maybe even ever, that the band hadn't played it. But it was still great!

I actually got to meet him that night. We talked for a bit about where all I had seen him and just general chit chat. I told him what my background was and all. He had go so we shook hands and he said to me "good luck with everything!" To which I replied...."and you too!" He laughed.

RIP Maynard......you got to have a life that most musicians can only hope for and you made a positive impression on so many younger jazzers..........you're the best!

Edited by FrankBeMe

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maynardshorn.jpg

is this a tribute shot, or just one you found?

Wow, I'm SO glad I got the chance to see him live last year in Harrisburg.

RIP...

is this a tribute shot, or just one you found?

Its one that was sent to me.

To me its a Tribute to The Boss.Its like the stage is empty without The Boss and his horn stands alone wiating..Its up to each person to decide what it means to him/her.

Tell ya what. . .

Gabriel's now playing second. . . :P

RIP MF - you were the best! :)

This is truly a sad day! I saw Maynard many times but the best was in the late 70's at Kleinhan's Music Hall in Buffalo with Bobby Millitello on Bari sax. The band was dynamite! Afew years ago he played the University of Buffalo and that evening popped over to the Buffalo Children's Hospital Telethon...he wasn't even supposed to be there but volunteered his time.

The greats are gone...Woody Herman, Stan Kenton, and so on. God be with them ALL.

Just received a call to let me know that Maynard passed away late last night in Canada from kidney failure.

Maynard Ferguson 5/4/28 - 8/23/06

After recently completing a new live recording and closing out his amazing performing career with a historic run at Birdland last month in NYC, Maynard Ferguson passed away peacefully in Canada Wednesday evening.

What an incredible human being, and an incredible career.

:ph34r:

Listening to Maynard was what brought me back to playing. after a 3 year layoff in grade school, I heard Ole for the first time. I guess that's when I decided to pick up my axe again.

I didn't get to see him live until I was in my 20's but as anyone who went to any of his gigs at the Prom Ballroom in St. Paul, his shows were amazing. He always said they would give us 4 full sets, even with the breaks..and he did! I can remember when the band sight-read the chart Jay Chattaway wrote - " Star Trek"..even then it was fabulous..

I saw him and the new band about 3 years ago at the MN State Fair and even though my son didn't like his music, the idea of a 75 year old horn player hitting notes as he did even impressed him.

Always thinking outside the box musically, it was so cool when he would bring in the Eastern influence into his tunes and concerts. I will always be a fan, even now that he's gone.

:worthy: He was one of the best ever...period!

Pat

Still holding at least 2 MF tee-shirts from his late 70's tours. ^OO^

:ph34r:

Listening to Maynard was what brought me back to playing. after a 3 year layoff in grade school, I heard Ole for the first time. I guess that's when I decided to pick up my axe again.

I didn't get to see him live until I was in my 20's but as anyone who went to any of his gigs at the Prom Ballroom in St. Paul, his shows were amazing. He always said they would give us 4 full sets, even with the breaks..and he did! I can remember when the band sight-read the chart Jay Chattaway wrote - " Star Trek"..even then it was fabulous..

I saw him and the new band about 3 years ago at the MN State Fair and even though my son didn't like his music, the idea of a 75 year old horn player hitting notes as he did even impressed him.

Always thinking outside the box musically, it was so cool when he would bring in the Eastern influence into his tunes and concerts. I will always be a fan, even now that he's gone.

:worthy: He was one of the best ever...period!

Pat

Still holding at least 2 MF tee-shirts from his late 70's tours. ^OO^

Wow!!!!!!!!!! Some of my favorites are gone now: Basie, Miller, Armstrong, Ellington,Buddy Rich, Clooney, Ella, Lennon, Harrison and now Maynard. I attended quite a few of his concerts in college and afterwards.

God bless you, Walter

Annie

Edited by drumcorpsmama

Very sad.....Another GREAT, gone.... :worthy:

RIP Mr. Ferguson :ph34r:

A lot of fond memories from that man's horn. He will be sorely missed