Here's To All You Imbeciles

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like every drum corps show I see, and therefore don't cheer as enthusiastically for the ones I didn't like.

Count me in as ignorant as well, I guess.

yep. hey the 2003 show was to be the second coming of Christ. i didnt like it either, and didnt throw babies that year either. guess i'm ignorant cause i dont drink the kool aid.

i thought Cavies 02 was a lot of hype and little substance. betcha that poster is ok with that tho, cause i'm not saying i didnt like the Cadets

Maybe it's just me. I thought their show was very warmly received the 2nd time I saw it as opposed to the first of the season.

I know DCP hates it, but most fans aren't diehard DCPers.

I do agree that some other shows are very "easy" to understand and some take a little more "thinking" outside of the box...but that doesn't equate to those that don't like Cadets being imbeciles. Most of us understood Cadets...some of us liked it...others did not.

Similar to others who didn't like Phantom Regiment...does that make them dumb? Hardly. It's just an opinion. I don't see why this topic is drug up so often. Can people just like it or hate it and be done with it?

i was at Allentown, their home town. the crowd didnt go nuts at all

I stopped reading after the first half of the second paragraph. The part where instead of putting his thoughts on the Cadets out in a respectful way, he just went for the attack on other corps, Cavaliers and BD.

my my my my my......Im an imbecile ! Im an imbecile !!!

Cavis is what a marching band " could " do ??

Funny, Cadets is what a marching band already did........

~G~

Amen to that. Well Said!!!

We have some interesting fans calling what the Cadets did good and innovative and art, and what have you, yet they think the Cavaliers and Blue Devils are simple, basic, for the simple-minded. I must be simple-minded then.

What the Cavaliers did this year was as complex as any other show. Period. What the Cadets did was fine, but not widely accepted, and it HAS been done by marching bands, and not always to great success.

To the writer of that comment on the HOP Blog: Don't tell me how I need to adapt to a new form of art, or a new direction in DCI. I do not tell you or your corps how to program your shows. I keep an open mind and I always go to the shows to be entertained and stimulated. The Cadets show was a disaster at the start of the season (IMO), and I did like how they cleaned and modified the show. It was a good show come finals, but not a great show. Other than people flying off tables, I have seen it all before...in band. And I don't like it there either. The greatest tradition of this activity is excellence. The greatest innovations tend to come about when excellence and style combine in a unique way to create something beautiful, wonderful, and powerful...like what the Cavaliers did. If the crowd doesn't get your show, deal with it, don't disregard it and fight it. Don't insult the fans. People applauded the Cadets this year. It was not like they did something so out there that nobody clapped.

Perhaps this post to Hop's blog, and others like it, are mere apologies for the 5th place finish. And in doing so they assume people didn't understand the show and that is why the corps took 5th.

Next year, just before you start to compete, try publishing a book called "How to Understand the True Art of Cadets-Style Drum Corps/Band for Kids Who "Think Differently." 5 cents to Apple Computer!

The members of the Cadets are first-class kids, like in all the corps. But I get tired of fans telling me how to react to a show, or how simple someone else's show was, or how uneducated I am, and most importantly when they tell me what to like. Given a choice, I would take Blue Devils 1979 anyday over what Cadets 2006 just did. Their show concept was simple. It went like this: "Let's play some great music." "Cool." "We'll take 4 or 5 tunes that don't really relate to each other and we will perform the heck out of them." End Result: Kick A__ Show!!!!!

End of story!

Amen to that. Well Said!!!

We have some interesting fans calling what the Cadets did good and innovative and art, and what have you, yet they think the Cavaliers and Blue Devils are simple, basic, for the simple-minded. I must be simple-minded then.

What the Cavaliers did this year was as complex as any other show. Period. What the Cadets did was fine, but not widely accepted, and it HAS been done by marching bands, and not always to great success.

To the writer of that comment on the HOP Blog: Don't tell me how I need to adapt to a new form of art, or a new direction in DCI. I do not tell you or your corps how to program your shows. I keep an open mind and I always go to the shows to be entertained and stimulated. The Cadets show was a disaster at the start of the season (IMO), and I did like how they cleaned and modified the show. It was a good show come finals, but not a great show. Other than people flying off tables, I have seen it all before...in band. And I don't like it there either. The greatest tradition of this activity is excellence. The greatest innovations tend to come about when excellence and style combine in a unique way to create something beautiful, wonderful, and powerful...like what the Cavaliers did. If the crowd doesn't get your show, deal with it, don't disregard it and fight it. Don't insult the fans. People applauded the Cadets this year. It was not like they did something so out there that nobody clapped.

Perhaps this post to Hop's blog, and others like it, are mere apologies for the 5th place finish. And in doing so they assume people didn't understand the show and that is why the corps took 5th.

Next year, just before you start to compete, try publishing a book called "How to Understand the True Art of Cadets-Style Drum Corps/Band for Kids Who "Think Differently." 5 cents to Apple Computer!

The members of the Cadets are first-class kids, like in all the corps. But I get tired of fans telling me how to react to a show, or how simple someone else's show was, or how uneducated I am, and most importantly when they tell me what to like. Given a choice, I would take Blue Devils 1979 anyday over what Cadets 2006 just did. Their show concept was simple. It went like this: "Let's play some great music." "Cool." "We'll take 4 or 5 tunes that don't really relate to each other and we will perform the heck out of them." End Result: Kick A__ Show!!!!!

End of story!

Wow Jonathan, wow, wow, wow, wow...and a wow . You never cease to amaze me, the insight, objectivity, and clarity you bring to an issue. Of all the people who have ever posted, you have made me stop and think the most.

What I try to say in post after post, you get done in a few sentences.

~G~

Their show concept was simple. It went like this: "Let's play some great music." "Cool." "We'll take 4 or 5 tunes that don't really relate to each other and we will perform the heck out of them." End Result: Kick A__ Show!!!!!

Haha, I've been saying this all along. I think sometimes show designers are trying too hard. It's just a drum corps show! I mean, yes, I love shows to have depth, but let's look back on a show like...Phantom Regiment 1991. Aside from all the pieces having Italian names (Nessun Dorma, Pagliacci, Bacchanale), the pieces are unrelated. No real theme or story. And that show had an incredible amount of depth. Snakes on a...Football Field? :P

Haha, I've been saying this all along. I think sometimes show designers are trying too hard. It's just a drum corps show! I mean, yes, I love shows to have depth, but let's look back on a show like...Phantom Regiment 1991. Aside from all the pieces having Italian names (Nessun Dorma, Pagliacci, Bacchanale), the pieces are unrelated. No real theme or story. And that show had an incredible amount of depth. Snakes on a...Football Field? :P

Um....?

There is a theme.

They're all from operas. That's why the show was called "Phantom Voices." It was originally going to be called "Phantom at the Opera."

Most people don't think of Bachannale as an operatic piece, but it is indeed instrumental music from the opera "Samson et Delilah."

Pagliacci is obviously an opera, though what we played is actually called "Vesti la Giubba."

Nessun Dorma is the aria from "Turandot."

In the early season we were also going to play "Un Bel Di" from Madame Butterfly, but instead we did more music from Pagliacci.

Edited by The Tsar