Drum corps tunes at my wedding

I don't think we did any major drum corps tunes at my wedding except for One Hand-One Heart (I think). The best man was my seat partner and best friend in the Blue Devils. The rest of the groomsmen were from the Troopers, Velvet Knights and the band I had worked for while in college. My wife's maid of honor and bridesmaids were musicians as well from college. I had some of the guys from PMA play in a brass quintet and it was a very musically based wedding. My wife came down the aisle with the Prince of Denmark's march, then my wife wanted the "Wedding Song" sung by one of her SAI sisters', then the Lord's Prayer by one of the PMA faculty members' from college (these folks are professional singers, so you can imagine the quality). I think One Hand-One Heart was in the mix. We sang Great is our Faithfulness as our hymn in the service. We left to the Mendelssohn Wedding March (thought we better have some traditional stuff in the wedding). The church is almost "chapel-esque" so the music was great in there. Someone made a video, but it got botched up-that would have been great to have. I think honestly musicians have the best weddings because we know what "sells" to the folks who come and watch us get hitched. Maybe for our 25th when we renew the vows we'll throw in more drum corps stuff (that is if my clarinet playing wife doesn't throw a hammer at me).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to crash this wedding.

"Fire of Eternal Glory" (Novorossiisk Chimes) is my favorite drum corps piece. It might be my favorite music of all time. But for a wedding?

As some of you might know, Shostakovich was commissioned to write the piece in memory of the many Soviets who died in a fight with the Nazis in Novorossiisk on the Black Sea coast during World War II. It is meant as a memorial to their sacrifice and is used to augment a monument at Novorossiisk called the Flame (or Fire) of Eternal Glory.

In that context, it seems to me more appropriate for a funeral than a wedding. But that's me.

My wedding fantasy was to emerge from the ceremony with my bride and throw open the doors to find my wife had arranged to have the entire Blue Devils arrayed outside to blast "When a Man Loves a Woman" as we and our guests went to the reception. My further fantasy had all the guests at the reception praising the Blue Devils throughout, confirming my belief that everyone would love drum corps if only they heard it live and saving me from any further discussion of the wedding, which surely would make my head burst (in which case, Phantom would rush to the scene and play "Fire of Eternal Glory").

HH

Edited by glory

My wife and I had our recessional be a blaring of The Blue Devils' "When a Man Loves a Woman".

My wedding fantasy was to emerge from the ceremony with my bride and throw open the doors to find my wife had arranged to have the entire Blue Devils arrayed outside to blast "When a Man Loves a Woman" as we and our guests went to the reception. My further fantasy had all the guests at the reception praising the Blue Devils throughout, confirming my belief that everyone would love drum corps if only they heard it live and saving me from any further discussion of the wedding, which surely would make my head burst (in which case, Phantom would rush to the scene and play "Fire of Eternal Glory").

:lol: that last bit got me..

Stef

I'm pretty sure that's just what the caterer called it. Whatever it was, it was yummy!

Wouldn't that be pronounced "BEEB-ul?"

Everytime Ive seen his name its written Biebl, not Beibl. Thats all Im referring to.

biebl.jpg

Everytime Ive seen his name its written Biebl, not Beibl. Thats all Im referring to.

biebl.jpg

Ahh.

Well whenever I've googled it, it offers your spelling, but I find it on Amazon mostly as Beibl -- and given the german pronunciation rule that the second vowel is prominent, I presumed pronouncing it BYE-bul would mean BeIbl -- it's quite possible his family pronounced it differently than what the german language rule would dictate. Doesn't seem anybody has a definitive "this way" or "that way" answer on this man's name.

Doesn't matter, I guess. We know who we meant.

Considering Jan and I did the whole wedding thing in 4½ hours one day, there wasn't much done in the way of planning. So was it just coincidence that the music played during the ceremony was "Theme From Ice Castles (Through the Eyes of Love)" and "Music of the Night"? And the motel next door to the chapel was Casa Malaga?

Spooky, I say!

Garry

PS I have a friend who marched Troopers, and she and her new husband walked under crossed flags from the Trooper guard during their recession.

I had a couple friends I marched with in coats who got married in 1991 and the whole wedding party boarded a Bluecoats bus to take them to the reception hall.

Also in 1985 one of our brass instructors who had aged out in 27th after marching bluecoats entered the church to our brass caption head playing danny boy. I don't remember if the bride entered to anything specific or not after that. she was a bluecoats alum and was the color guard caption head at the time.