DOES ANYONE REMEMBER ROCHESTER 1996?

this story always reminds me of how special it is when corps play to one another. After all, it's mostly "us" who are our own greatest fans - even to our rivals - too bad we can't all watch each other and play at the same time. I'm sure we'd all be going bonkers for each other if given the chance. Up close and personal!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that night. i'll skip a few details because i dont wanna upset Al :P

I do remember the cluster #### that was the mass retreat. I heard Roll Out the Barrels, Sky's beat, sobreseda, and one baritone somehwere near me playing NYNY

I'll always remember the sound of Fran's voice for the call.

I'll always remember being tackled by Dan Delong.

I'll always remeber running up Pag's cell phone bill ( remember the roaming charges days?) calling Dad from the field to tell him the news.

and what i'll remember most is my first person to person encounter with Frank Ponzo. I'm hugging Kevin Murphy, when Frank walks over and hands kevin a little bottle of champagne. Frank brought it out hoping to use it himself, but in true sportsmanship, he gave it to Murph followed by a hug.

I'll always remember cabs playing Bully. at that moment i wondered if i should hand my medal over to someone.

I'll always remember gil Silva putting the medal on me. if he had known the headaches i'd cause him on here down the road, i am sure he'd have skipped me.

and i'll always remember these words:

"son, i am incredibly proud of you. it took me 16 years to make the top 5 a few times. it took me 16 years to win AL when it didn't mean as much. i hope you let me touch the medal when you get home tomorrow"

1996 in Rochester was a blast. Both prelims and finals were absolutely packed, although a mile away. Fireworks going off during "On My Own". I remember getting a great response from the crowd that night. If that repeats itself in a better suited stadium, it should be a fun weekend for all the marching members.

1996 in Rochester was a blast. Both prelims and finals were absolutely packed, although a mile away. Fireworks going off during "On My Own". I remember getting a great response from the crowd that night. If that repeats itself in a better suited stadium, it should be a fun weekend for all the marching members.

:blink:

"The award for Best Colorguard goes to the Sunrisers!"

1996_dca_champs.jpg

Now THAT was a color guard. :blink:

Dam they were good! Look at those guard all stars in there...

Erica Boos...Ed Doscher....Budd Williams...Greg Lagola...Amy Metzger...SO much talent out there.

My feeling is mutual with Alan's but I have to admit the playing in the parking lot after retreat and how well we played with no conductor at one point was amazing. That is one moment in my 23 years of marching I will never forget.

My feeling is mutual with Alan's but I have to admit the playing in the parking lot after retreat and how well we played with no conductor at one point was amazing. That is one moment in my 23 years of marching I will never forget.

I remember "beating feet" just to get to the parking lot after retreat to hear the Cabs and wound up between "Cops" n' Cabs". I also witnessed the argument (which really had no basis other than the midnight rule.....HUH?). Had to come home and re-watch finals from an overview by the space shuttle (they have some really good cameras ya know...)

Knowing the Statesmen and their orginization and the city of Rochester this scenario most likely will not be repeated. COUNT on IT!!!

I remember going on last in finales.

I remember winning all of the captions but one.

I remember someone else winning.

Thanks for the memories. :rolleyes:

Listen Bro. It is what it is. We all felt pain that night. But we all bonded that night. We made some good friends with Bucs and we saw how many people followed us off the field to the parking lot not including the Bucs. The crowd far out numbered the two corps. it was a sea of people. At last count (there really wasn't one but) it was in the hundreds while WS did their encore. We were surrounded by people who came to appreciate us for us and for what we did that day. Win, lose or draw, that felt better then winning, at least for me. That parking lot moment has alwasy stuck out as being the most memorable time of that season well over the placement at finals and is talked about more often by our own members. I can get all sappy about it but, its not necessary. It was a great time to be a Caballero and still is today! :huh:

this story always reminds me of how special it is when corps play to one another. After all, it's mostly "us" who are our own greatest fans - even to our rivals - too bad we can't all watch each other and play at the same time. I'm sure we'd all be going bonkers for each other if given the chance. Up close and personal!

Amen brother!!!!