Big Event on TV tonight!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cox Cable on the west coast has it listed as "band competition" Oh well... It's getting broadcast in the US - IT'S A START.

I feel really bad for our Canadian brethren - One would think ESPN has some media partner they could broadcast through up north...

-TGB

We do??

I just clicked on guide, then info...and it says Drum Corps Competiton.

I work for Cox here in Vegas, and have all the tv's turned to DCI. :)

Y'know, if it didn't conflict with "Gilmore Girls", it just might be worth watching ... ^0^

Watching it from my small dorm room TV right now...They have addressed many issues from last year's broadcast.

Everyone will find it lame. Very lame. But an improvement over last year if they were going for the "drum corps is a sport" thing. Pointing out errors in execution (GASP OH NO PEOPLE MADE MISTAKES!), slowing things down, drawing lines on the field in a football-esque tradition.

But I am glad that the clips seem just A LITTLE longer than last year.

Too bad I have Marching Band practice at 8 and I won't get to see the top corps. Yes, the big B word. Anyone with half a brain will understand that drum corps isn't the same as the band they see at the Big Ten game halftime. Which I have to practice for now! *It's just to keep my chops in shape...It's just to keep my chops in shape...Band is just to keep my chops in shape...*

Usually don't watch too much of the telecast due to my low threshold of talking head time on a "musical program". ^0^ :P

OK, seriously watched the first 40 minutes until I got involved in other things around the house. Noticed a few things that stood out. Wondering if this is new or a continuation of what went on in last years telecast.

1) Dennis DeLuca(sp?) mentioned something called "Div I" in he first two minutes. Kinda gives you an idea there might be other Divisions????

2) In the same sentence Dennis mentioned the "Top 12" corps. Geez, that means there might be more than 12 Drum Corps in existance. Wow :P

3) In an in between corps segment, the main three pieces of equipment (forget exact quote) are flags, rifles and sabers. Dance was talked about later, as if dance is secondary to the equipment. Also intersting as this was before Bluecoats and the part of their show that was shown had some "old style" guard work in it.

4) Usually takes Reliable less than 10 minute to say that "after 21 they can no longer mach Drum Corps". This time Jessica Allen(?) said it but while she was talking to a corps member that just came off the field so possibly Jessica meant the young corps member with her corps and it came out kinda befuddled....

5) More pre-DCI pics and history of corps in 40 minutes than in entire past telecasts. (I think)

Oh yeah, anyone out there playing my olf game of pretending you know nothing about DC except what you hear on the telecast. Rules are (1) what you hear is exactly correct and (2) assume nothing. In past years I "learned" that there are only 12 DCs in existance and after you hit your age out there is no way in Hades to be part of it again.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

4) Usually takes Reliable less than 10 minute to say that "after 21 they can no longer mach Drum Corps". This time Jessica Allen(?) said it but while she was talking to a corps member that just came off the field so possibly Jessica meant the young corps member with her corps and it came out kinda befuddled....

speaking of befuddled

speaking of befuddled

Forgot to mention that keeps the "it ends at 21 or 22" streak going since at least 1979. :unsure: