i'm not saying the hurcs were bad but they never beat rochester that year. in fact they never came close till dca finals. i always like the hurcs and thought ray ludee was great. i will disagree in saying they were a power house. they were very good. in those shows were they came in 2nd.......rochester was not there. don't misunderstand me i'm not taking anything away from them. they just made a very late run.

peace.............somf

the 72 hurcs defeated the champion cabs in 7 out of 10 shows, we beat the bucs in 3 out of 5, and went 0 for 13 vs new

york. you are correct that we didn't beat cru, 0 for 4, however we tied at finals.

many more stats can be plugged into the discussion, but the only thing everyone has to accept is that hawthorne was the dca champ. any other opinion depends what uni you were wearing. to argue now is fruitless, much like the old arguements of who is better,dimaggio or williams , rizzuto or reece , or mantle or mays!

only 2.4 separated the top 5 corps in 72. i,ll respectfully stand by my assertion that all 5 were powerhouses !

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 72 hurcs defeated the champion cabs in 7 out of 10 shows, we beat the bucs in 3 out of 5, and went 0 for 13 vs new

york. you are correct that we didn't beat cru, 0 for 4, however we tied at finals.

many more stats can be plugged into the discussion, but the only thing everyone has to accept is that hawthorne was the dca champ. any other opinion depends what uni you were wearing. to argue now is fruitless, much like the old arguements of who is better,dimaggio or williams , rizzuto or reece , or mantle or mays!

only 2.4 separated the top 5 corps in 72. i,ll respectfully stand by my assertion that all 5 were powerhouses !

yes you are right. you took what i was saying wrong. i never said the hurcs wern't good. but i will say that if one m&m judge didn't put us 12th and gave us the score we deseved then who knows what would have happened. but i will never beleive the cabs won. i still think sky did.

yes you are right. you took what i was saying wrong. i never said the hurcs wern't good. but i will say that if one m&m judge didn't put us 12th and gave us the score we deseved then who knows what would have happened. but i will never beleive the cabs won. i still think sky did.

ok..... we agree. in my opinion also new york was the best of the 5....... peace

i will never beleive the cabs won. i still think sky did.

Wasn't there an undertime penalty that kept the Skyliners from winning DCA72?

OK, went back to the beginning of the thread and read Fran's post about the timing thing.

Question answered.

Edited by gsksun4

• 2 weeks later...

1972 was a great year! Having travelled for over 12 hours to see it was worth every mile. At that time I was with a small corps from Sudbury, Ontario Canada the Imperial Knights. We had just completed our first year in RCA and finished 5th only 3/10 out of third place and had to make a decision to try out for DCA or pass. Due to many reasons, mentioned in another post regarding RCA, we took a pass. At RCA we were almost 3 points ahead of the Matadors who made DCA that day, all of that to say it would have been such a rush to have been on the field that night. Even thought Cabs. won DCA that night every member of every corps should, over 30 years later, feel like a champion. What a contest

I just got the DVD of '72 Hurcs & '72 Cru @DCA

What I love is the obvious enthusiasm of the members of the 'bolts

It stands out. The corps could not wait to step off the line!

There are GE moments all over the place.

Horn soloists, drum soloists, drum solo visuals (what exactly are they doing?)

unique flag-pre, and the horn wheel during Hang Em... which was nailed

the way the corps joined ranks and exited, the way the contras wheeled to exit....

and the finish line performance though, talk about letting it rip!

nobody enjoyed performing more than this

being a winner is part score and part an attitude

cap001.jpg

cap002.jpg

Edited by BeinGreen

• 2 weeks later...
I just got the DVD of '72 Hurcs & '72 Cru @DCA

What I love is the obvious enthusiasm of the members of the 'bolts

It stands out. The corps could not wait to step off the line!

There are GE moments all over the place.

Horn soloists, drum soloists, drum solo visuals (what exactly are they doing?)

unique flag-pre, and the horn wheel during Hang Em... which was nailed

the way the corps joined ranks and exited, the way the contras wheeled to exit....

and the finish line performance though, talk about letting it rip!

nobody enjoyed performing more than this

being a winner is part score and part an attitude

cap001.jpg

cap002.jpg

yes they were good but i'm sorry cru was a superior corps. like in earlier posts our horn line was great & so were the drums. and our ge factor was top shelf. like i said before an m&m judge screwed us. sky won that show but we got screwed. i will say i always like the hurcs and i loved their drumline. i loved ray ludee. i'm not biased but cru had a great year . at least i don't think i am.

yes they were good but i'm sorry cru was a superior corps. like in earlier posts our horn line was great & so were the drums. and our ge factor was top shelf. like i said before an m&m judge screwed us. sky won that show but we got screwed. i will say i always like the hurcs and i loved their drumline. i loved ray ludee. i'm not biased but cru had a great year . at least i don't think i am.

haha, you're great! I got Hurcs & Crusaders bcz they were my two fav shows

never marched in either corps but if I could march wherever I wanted it would be in one of those two

you should look at my comment on the post put up by the Crusaders current staff http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=1884438

you know what, one of my comrades in Reilly was in the Crusaders in 66-67 and I am listening to '65 GK/Cru, '66, '67, 68 Cru right now!

I am biased though, bcz as a little kid the Hurricanes looked ALOT like Reilly and I was brought up to root for green corps

and whats even weirder is at one point the Crusaders shirts looked like the Archie-Reilly merge tops with red & green stripe

I dont know '72 other than recordings & videos, I didnt see it live, I cant see the emotion felt by the Crusaders and generally they are not the guys you hear whining about not getting what they deserve, I would have liked to hear the discussion among your members after DCA '72 though. I think when drummers have the #1 line they dont necessarily feel they should get a title but since a hornline is the majority of the corps, if you have a #1 hornline guys get pretty mad when you dont get 1st prize, just ask the Bucs, I couldnt take any more of the entitled to win attitude but thats another controversy that is off topic.

I have posted way too much here for a guy who was 9 yrs old at the time. Thats the age when you have heroes though.

If you want to reply tell me, what part of a Crusaders show that you were in do you think was the best moment written for them?

I like that crazy soprano riff away form the stands at the exit and I love the nails being driven into the cross sound effect, thats just so poignant, I could have used more of that fabulous hornline on re-entry, it just ended too soon.

haha, you're great! I got Hurcs & Crusaders bcz they were my two fav shows

never marched in either corps but if I could march wherever I wanted it would be in one of those two

you should look at my comment on the post put up by the Crusaders current staff http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=1884438

you know what, one of my comrades in Reilly was in the Crusaders in 66-67 and I am listening to '65 GK/Cru, '66, '67, 68 Cru right now!

I am biased though, bcz as a little kid the Hurricanes looked ALOT like Reilly and I was brought up to root for green corps

and whats even weirder is at one point the Crusaders shirts looked like the Archie-Reilly merge tops with red & green stripe

I dont know '72 other than recordings & videos, I didnt see it live, I cant see the emotion felt by the Crusaders and generally they are not the guys you hear whining about not getting what they deserve, I would have liked to hear the discussion among your members after DCA '72 though. I think when drummers have the #1 line they dont necessarily feel they should get a title but since a hornline is the majority of the corps, if you have a #1 hornline guys get pretty mad when you dont get 1st prize, just ask the Bucs, I couldnt take any more of the entitled to win attitude but thats another controversy that is off topic.

I have posted way too much here for a guy who was 9 yrs old at the time. Thats the age when you have heroes though.

If you want to reply tell me, what part of a Crusaders show that you were in do you think was the best moment written for them?

I like that crazy soprano riff away form the stands at the exit and I love the nails being driven into the cross sound effect, thats just so poignant, I could have used more of that fabulous hornline on re-entry, it just ended too soon.

i think one of my favorite spots in the show was after the sop solo in bacanal the beginning of the drum solo. it had so much balls. if you listen close the drum charts to bacanal were the same as the solo leading into it. i also liked the nails and the sop rift at the end. it was supposed to give an erieness to the show. very creative for the time.

by the way i always thought that rielly in the old days was a great corps. bill hooten was a " hoot ". no body could really compete withem for a long time.

i think one of my favorite spots in the show was after the sop solo in bacanal the beginning of the drum solo. it had so much balls. if you listen close the drum charts to bacanal were the same as the solo leading into it. i also liked the nails and the sop rift at the end. it was supposed to give an erieness to the show. very creative for the time.

by the way i always thought that rielly in the old days was a great corps. bill hooten was a " hoot ". no body could really compete withem for a long time.

Erieness, you mean like the Thunderbirds?

or do you mean Eeriness? i think the latter, I kid you.