well someone else kinda agree's with me about CRUSADERS horn line. like i said before all top 5 shows were better and more exciting than any show this year in rochester, although the CABS did what no one else did, and that was get the crowd up off their ###. you guys from SKY and CABS can debate all you want, but man for man horn and drums you did not beat CRUSADERS that night, you came in 1st and 2nd but you did not beat us--------12th place M&M ------- say's it all. also i still will hold that party for all who marched that DCA 1972 at my house in rochester, like i said you bring the the tapes and cd's and i'll make the pasta.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well someone else kinda agree's with me about CRUSADERS horn line. like i said before all top 5 shows were better and more exciting than any show this year in rochester, although the CABS did what no one else did, and that was get the crowd up off their ###. you guys from SKY and CABS can debate all you want, but man for man horn and drums you did not beat CRUSADERS that night, you came in 1st and 2nd but you did not beat us--------12th place M&M ------- say's it all. also i still will hold that party for all who marched that DCA 1972 at my house in rochester, like i said you bring the the tapes and cd's and i'll make the pasta.

Give us a reminder sometime in July 2007 about the pasta party. I'll try my best to be there.

Give us a reminder sometime in July 2007 about the pasta party. I'll try my best to be there.

By what I am told, Johnny's sauce is legendary.

• 1 month later...
By the way the best show of 1972 was NOT a DCA show,and it was not judged, but it was what the CABS and CRUSADERS did at the RACINE exibition before the AL, they have to rated as two of the most exciting shows ever preformed by any DCA corps ever.
I was at that exhibition in Racine (Mariners were in the first half of the show) and it was the first time I ever saw seniors other than Boys of 76. I can still remember call to the bulls followed by 36 horns lining up in the sideline. Great huh? Lets get on with the show! Wait a minute, another call to the bulls and 36 more horns come out and the crowd is already beside itself and a single note has yet to be played. This would be the time to remind readers that the average VFW finalist junior horn line was upper 30s low 40s. Note of interest, that was initially what the Madison Reunion corps had planned to do as we lined up on opposite sidelines. Time constraints made them decide to have us all come out at the same time. All 116 of us.

I dont remember much about the peformance except that they played Captain and Conquest, big time favorites. The soloists were hot, the drum line was phenomenal, the timbale player made quite an impression on the crowd.. For years and years Cabs were the ultimate in senior corps to me. In fact as good as Muchachos got in the next couple years, I still preferred Cabs.

:grouphug:

I was ALSO at that Racine exhibition, as a rookie with Brass, Inc. (now MBI). To concur with both Johnny and Dan, I STILL feel that was the best 2 senior shows I've ever seen, and I would put that '72 Cru horn line up against anybody..I never got to see Sky, Hurcs or a lot of the other DCA corps until years later, but I made sure that I had a copy of that show on tape.

The tape found its way to Florida with my old buddy Dik Buelow (now with Florida Brass) and when I saw that Drum Corps World was offering those Johnson recordings on CD and was limiting the time available, I ordered that '72 Racine show. I crank that up at every opportunity, and I'm not afraid to tell the new kiddies that considering the crude instruments we all played on compared to today, those lines were fabulous!!! :grouphug:

HEY JOHHNY - If you want a copy of that CD, I might be persuaded to look into a copy. Still a fabulous recording even today, real clear and clean.

It can still give me " duckie bumps".

Pat

first... I'm in for the 1972 reunion party... great idea...

I'll also say that the recordings of Racine back the statements made... it was magical... and what made it magical was two things...

no judges - we all cut loose

screaming junior corps kids who went NUTS in their first viewing of seniors...

by the time we finished Jesus Christ Superstar, we were flying 4 feet off the ground... it was the most memorable performance experience of my entire long career...

As for DCA finals, nope... won't go there... it was a heck of a show... period...

but I do share Jocko's memories... could be because he was standing next to me in line...

Probably Bob Gaff...?

Currently with Sky Alumni, formerly Marine Corps D&B Corps - and Rebs for years...

His bari solo in "Basin Street" in the late 60s was SWEET!

Please don't forget:

St. Rose Scarlet Lancers, Chelsea, Massachusetts

St. Kevin Emerald Knights, Dorchester, Massachusetts

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Newark, New Jersey

Okay all you guys and gals from 1972 DCA I'm going to have this get together at my house in Rochester the week of the 2007 DCA CHAMPIONSHIP. I'm only a 15 min. drive from the stadium and 20 min. from downtown, and only 2 turns off either 490west or 490east. I live next door to Gate Chili High School so parking won't be a problem and and i have front yard and a large backyard,2 1/2 car garage and I what don't have I'll get, all I ask is is we all work out a time good for everyone so we can relax and listen to what we've all been bragging about. I'm also hoping my group, PRIME TIME BRASS, would consider playing alittle and anyone wants mabey step up and do a little solo with us how cool would that be, now we play Blb just so you know, but MACK THE KNIFE, MAMBO D'BATTISTA,and alot others are all jazz so step up and play! Just a thought anyway. So after the hoilday's lets all work it out so we can have a blast! SEE YA!-johnnytata( GREY KNIGHT LANCERS,RIDGE CULVER STATESEN,MIAMI MILITARY DRUM AND BUGLE CORP, U.S. NAVY RECRUIT DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS, ROCHESTER CRUSADERS, PHOENIX, MIGHT ST.JOES ALLUMNI, EMPIRE STATESMEN, HITMEN, PRIME TIME BRASS, and I'm a current ASSSOCIATE member of the DRUM CORP HALL OF FAME )

• 6 months later...
Okay all you guys and gals from 1972 DCA I'm going to have this get together at my house in Rochester the week of the 2007 DCA CHAMPIONSHIP. I'm only a 15 min. drive from the stadium and 20 min. from downtown, and only 2 turns off either 490west or 490east. I live next door to Gate Chili High School so parking won't be a problem and and i have front yard and a large backyard,2 1/2 car garage and I what don't have I'll get, all I ask is is we all work out a time good for everyone so we can relax and listen to what we've all been bragging about. I'm also hoping my group, PRIME TIME BRASS, would consider playing alittle and anyone wants mabey step up and do a little solo with us how cool would that be, now we play Blb just so you know, but MACK THE KNIFE, MAMBO D'BATTISTA,and alot others are all jazz so step up and play! Just a thought anyway. So after the hoilday's lets all work it out so we can have a blast! SEE YA!-johnnytata( GREY KNIGHT LANCERS,RIDGE CULVER STATESEN,MIAMI MILITARY DRUM AND BUGLE CORP, U.S. NAVY RECRUIT DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS, ROCHESTER CRUSADERS, PHOENIX, MIGHT ST.JOES ALLUMNI, EMPIRE STATESMEN, HITMEN, PRIME TIME BRASS, and I'm a current ASSSOCIATE member of the DRUM CORP HALL OF FAME )

Hey Johnny,

Can I come to the party, too? I will be playing with St. Joe's Alumni and Ghost Riders at DCA. I never marched a full season with the Crusaders, but 1972 was my seventh season of competitive junior corps. Growing up in the Rochester area, I had lots of opportunities to see the Crusaders...lots of talented corps and a great tradition! 1972 was the year that it all came together musically to my ear...great music with an electric horn line. That line was what compelled me to journey from Geneva to Jersey City to witness the spectacle. It was truely a great night for senior corps!

Hey, from what I am reading about the Racine show, I hope someone brings that recording for us all to hear, also.

i know i'm very late on this post but i remember at a.l. nationals in chicago that the cabs protested rochester's win because the cabs didn't use their drum accesories. now why they didn't remain speculative but for some reason they didn't feel confident about using them. as for dca getting a 12th place m & m score for rochester from one judge and then the undertime penaly for sky shows just how messed up the judging was. it was still agreat year for sr. drum corps but the ending was tarnished. i don't know if we would have won but sky was GREAT that night.