after all these years the passion still burns

should have heard more from some Hurcs guys

everybody felt they should have won

and for different reasons they were all right

well, except for the Cabs guys

LOL

since we are exposing bias without reservation

I really want to know which drumline played the toughest book

and who didnt play crap but got good X (as in exec. not sex)

I wonder how these shows would be rated today

because some music and drill holds up better over time

new forum poll:

whats you favorite chart played in DCA for 1972?

for me

Hurcs - Fanfare for the New

or

Crusaders - Bachanale

I think though 72 is the best recording of Sky at the finish line due to acoustics making the drums sound so huge.

addendum, Rebels alone could present such haunting performances, listening to their '72 "Phantom Regiment" version leaves me so chilled

just like "Johnny" its almost scary

Edited by BeinGreen

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me

I really liked the Hurricanes' color presentation that year, with the songs representing the USA, Britain, France, China and Russia....very creative stuff. I also remember that the Hurcs absolutely blew me away that night at Finals..... they were on fire!

Other great charts that year, off the top of my head and IMO: The Buccaneers' "The Oracle Speaks." Caballeros' "Sabre Dance." Sunrisers' "One Fine Morning" and "Hi-de-Ho." Pittsburgh Rockets' "Patton" color pre. Crusaders' "Jesus Christ Superstar." And pretty much anything the Skyliners played. :)

And I'll give Les Diplomates the"Best Visual" honors that night for their signature "rolling block" formation. If you listen to that '72 recording, you can hear the crowd react to that move.

Fran

Pittsburgh Rockets' "Patton" color pre.

most definitely

And I'll give Les Diplomates the"Best Visual" honors that night for their signature "rolling block" formation. If you listen to that '72 recording, you can hear the crowd react to that move.

Fran

When was that in the show? Never saw the corps but "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" is one of my favs to listen to.

And between Prelims and Finals that year, Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots disbanded after missing Finals. :(

While we weren’t really in the mix for the title, it was still an interesting year for Reading.

As someone mentioned, it was the first year after Frank Ferraro; Red Winzer wrote and taught the horns. And the horn line had plenty of talent, including a young guy name of Price.

John Flowers wrote, taught, and played in the drum line. Not the best line I played in during my time, but we took home a trophy or two.

Our downfall was M&M. We had been searching for a drill guy for years after Bud Johnston retired. George Hildebrand, Blackie DeMarco, and some guy that marched with Hawthorne all came and went without luck. (The next year Ralph Pace showed up.)

We never really pulled it all together. But we were close. And we happily retired to our motel after finals, had a few beers, and discussed the goring of various oxen and the ancestry of certain judges.

When was that in the show? Never saw the corps but "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" is one of my favs to listen to.

I think it's in Les Dips' "Madame Butterfly" out-of-concert production tune. The crowd starts cheering when the corps starts the visual.... then roars when the Diplomates complete it.

Today, that visual would be considered a relatively simple move, I'm sure. But it was VERY effective in that era.

Sometimes, "simple" works....... another example would be Blue Rock's "back over the finish line" wheel in 1971. Simple move, but when executed well, it was a great effect at the end of that show.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Sometimes, "simple" works....... another example would be Blue Rock's "back over the finish line" wheel in 1971. Simple move, but when executed well, it was a great effect at the end of that show.

Fran

Actually, it was a center wheel with center pivot just past the goal line. Half the corps was still on the field and the other half in the endzone. They wheeled until they were all over the line and then the resulting front did squad gates for the corps to march along the endzone inn squads and partially up the front sideline for the closing fanfare (that ability was newly added for 71).

The tune was the Association's "Requiem for the Masses", a great closer IMO.

Mike

Actually, it was a center wheel with center pivot just past the goal line. Half the corps was still on the field and the other half in the endzone. They wheeled until they were all over the line and then the resulting front did squad gates for the corps to march along the endzone inn squads and partially up the front sideline for the closing fanfare (that ability was newly added for 71).

The tune was the Association's "Requiem for the Masses", a great closer IMO.

Mike

I see a lot of talk about the crusader horn line of 1972 in this thread but I think that most will agree that the 1989 crusader hornl line that went undefeated the entire year was the best ever. also thanks to Fred Gebhardt and the Hamburg Kingsman Senior drum corps Drill design was changed forever.Up intill that time you entered the field on the starting end zone line and finished on the other end zone. The kingsman crossed the end line then proceededto troup the stands while playing Thus drum corps drill design the following year was changed by many corps and evolved into what you have today

I love this!

after all these years the passion still burns

should have heard more from some Hurcs guys

everybody felt they should have won

and for different reasons they were all right

well, except for the Cabs guys

LOL

since we are exposing bias without reservation

I really want to know which drumline played the toughest book

and who didnt play crap but got good X (as in exec. not sex)

I wonder how these shows would be rated today

because some music and drill holds up better over time

new forum poll:

for me

Hurcs - Fanfare for the New

or

Crusaders - Bachanale

I think though 72 is the best recording of Sky at the finish line due to acoustics making the drums sound so huge.

addendum, Rebels alone could present such haunting performances, listening to their '72 "Phantom Regiment" version leaves me so chilled

just like "Johnny" its almost scary

as i look back 35 yrs, i can say that the 72 hurcs were clearly a powerhouse, contenders with several great corps.... especially the skyliners, an awsome corps !! we came in 2nd TEN times behind the skyliners, as well as one 3rd ,4th place once,5th at prelims, and a 4th place tie at finals. although our record in this fabled year was very frustrating at the time...i can now look back and and marvel at the war all the great corps made in 1972........great competition,great year, great memories!

somf

as i look back 35 yrs, i can say that the 72 hurcs were clearly a powerhouse, contenders with several great corps.... especially the skyliners, an awsome corps !! we came in 2nd TEN times behind the skyliners, as well as one 3rd ,4th place once,5th at prelims, and a 4th place tie at finals. although our record in this fabled year was very frustrating at the time...i can now look back and and marvel at the war all the great corps made in 1972........great competition,great year, great memories!

somf

i'm not saying the hurcs were bad but they never beat rochester that year. in fact they never came close till dca finals. i always like the hurcs and thought ray ludee was great. i will disagree in saying they were a power house. they were very good. in those shows were they came in 2nd.......rochester was not there. don't misunderstand me i'm not taking anything away from them. they just made a very late run.

peace.............somf