• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad they didn't take an example from the Seniors back then. We were very well behaved, as I recall.

As Dick Enberg would say ... "OH MY!" ...

Andy "I've been trown out of better places than this" Lisko

Problems at the VFW Nats in Atlanta ... trashed the hotel (HAHA - what corps didn't back then) ... priest broke up the corps ... maybe Tommy (LucysSkylinersAlumni) can clarify ...

Andy

Maybe AL Nats? VFW was in Philly in 69...I went to my first VFW Nats as an audience member.

Maybe AL Nats? VFW was in Philly in 69...I went to my first VFW Nats as an audience member.

Yes ... AL Nats in Atlanta ... Cavaliers took the Jr. show (St. Lucy's was the 68 Champ) and the Yankee Rebels won the Sr. Crown (Sun was the 68 Champ) ... I was at the Philly show also ... can still see the corps lining up three deep waiting to compete: Inspection line, Ready line, Starting line ...

Andy

Yes ... AL Nats in Atlanta ... Cavaliers took the Jr. show (St. Lucy's was the 68 Champ) and the Yankee Rebels won the Sr. Crown (Sun was the 68 Champ) ... I was at the Philly show also ... can still see the corps lining up three deep waiting to compete: Inspection line, Ready line, Starting line ...

Andy

yeah we followed the rebels that night. the crowd didn't even know we were there. i remember inspection...95 degree heat and high humidity. hard to keep the sweat off the eguipment.

Problems at the VFW Nats in Atlanta ... trashed the hotel (HAHA - what corps didn't back then) ... priest broke up the corps ... maybe Tommy (LucysSkylinersAlumni) can clarify ...

Andy

VFWs were in Phillie...maybe the American legions nationals

VFWs were in Phillie...maybe the American legions nationals

St. Lucy's started the 1969 season in winning form. Towards mid season, it was decided the corps would not be attending the Nationals in Atlanta. I remember it was sometime in mid july when Don Angelica came to Father Nativo and Mickey Petrone and suggested the corps make some musical changes to it's repertoire and convinced both to change their minds and compete in Atlanta despite reservations.

Perhaps it is coincidence but after we made the changes, the corps fortunes changed in a losing way. At the Garfield Invitational, George Tuthill, at the time Garfield's drum instructor, trashed the drum line while judging the show and we never recovered after that. At the July 26th Bridgeport show, we finished second, 9/10 of a point from first place Boston. The following week Boston beat us by 7 points. The inconsistent spreads continued the rest of the season.

As far as the hotel trashing in Atlanta, I am not sure of that one either. I don't remember seeing any widespread trashing of room(s). Could it just have been one room or could it have been the other corps that was staying at the same hotel that set us up. We will never know because the corps was shut down for good the week prior to the 1969 NJ State American Legion Nationals. Many in the corps wanted to march in the Wildwood parade in street clothes as a form of protest but we did not feel it was worth going to jail. Angelica happened to be judging at the States field competition and he was forced to face an angry group of St. Lucy's members who believed he set the corps up to fall. He was not very comfortable sitting up in his lifeguard stand that day.

Several years later, when I was with Hawthorne Cabs, I asked Tuthill why he trashed us so bad at that show and he bluntly replied " because we sucked". I replied at least we were clean, unlike the line he instructed at Garfield. He just blinked at me and gave me a stare. LOL!

So Angelica was with Garfield and you are inferring that he was trying to eliminate the competition? Don't know why a corps would allow the competitions big man to change anything. Pretty strange. Who was your horn guy? Were you beating Cadets before this drastic change? Only thing I remember about '68 was the double bass "tubs" with the eagles on them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Storkysr

So Angelica was with Garfield and you are inferring that he was trying to eliminate the competition? Don't know why a corps would allow the competitions big man to change anything. Pretty strange. Who was your horn guy? Were you beating Cadets before this drastic change? Only thing I remember about '68 was the double bass "tubs" with the eagles on them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

he was talking about 69 not 68

St. Lucy's started the 1969 season in winning form. Towards mid season, it was decided the corps would not be attending the Nationals in Atlanta. I remember it was sometime in mid july when Don Angelica came to Father Nativo and Mickey Petrone and suggested the corps make some musical changes to it's repertoire and convinced both to change their minds and compete in Atlanta despite reservations.

Perhaps it is coincidence but after we made the changes, the corps fortunes changed in a losing way. At the Garfield Invitational, George Tuthill, at the time Garfield's drum instructor, trashed the drum line while judging the show and we never recovered after that. At the July 26th Bridgeport show, we finished second, 9/10 of a point from first place Boston. The following week Boston beat us by 7 points. The inconsistent spreads continued the rest of the season.

As far as the hotel trashing in Atlanta, I am not sure of that one either. I don't remember seeing any widespread trashing of room(s). Could it just have been one room or could it have been the other corps that was staying at the same hotel that set us up. We will never know because the corps was shut down for good the week prior to the 1969 NJ State American Legion Nationals. Many in the corps wanted to march in the Wildwood parade in street clothes as a form of protest but we did not feel it was worth going to jail. Angelica happened to be judging at the States field competition and he was forced to face an angry group of St. Lucy's members who believed he set the corps up to fall. He was not very comfortable sitting up in his lifeguard stand that day.

Several years later, when I was with Hawthorne Cabs, I asked Tuthill why he trashed us so bad at that show and he bluntly replied " because we sucked". I replied at least we were clean, unlike the line he instructed at Garfield. He just blinked at me and gave me a stare. LOL!

Steve,

I remember St. Lucy's as the season's start and they were very good ... I think Manny was back with you playing the solo in the OTL (at least for a short while) ... I lost track or their progress as Sky got into the swing of their own season ... Manny may have even been with us for a while ... LOL ...

Anyway ... the hotel story was told to me by Jerry "Hardware" and Frankie "The Geek" ... although, I admt, it may have been one of those "can you top this?" scenarios at a bar after some show or rehearsal ... HAHA ... you know how it goes: "my corps did this ..." oh yeah? ... "well, my corps did so and so ..." ... BRAVADO at it's best!

Anyway, I was surprised that St. Lucy's went to the AL in Atlanta and skipped the VFW in Philly ... I figured you wanted to try and repeat as Champs ...

Never heard the Angelica story ... was Sasso still teaching the horn line in 69? ... Flowers was on drums that year - no? ... Tuthill probably got his shorts in a bind because Lucy's was the only corps in Jersey he wasn't teaching! ... LOL ... (don't get mad Mike but, Christ - he was everywhere that year) ...

See ... passion doesn't hover only around 1972 ... many things prior and after that are fun to get the details on 30-40 years later ... this is like participating in a PBS special!!!! ... LOL ...

Andy