San Antonio Crossmen

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clicked a little too soon.

Seems a little sad and I agree with Lee Rudnicki. I hope they take with them the memories of Boeing Beach. I also hope that they proudly display the old patch that say CROSSMEN PHILADELPHIA and remember that the PA roots run deep. I also hope they feel that Allentown is HOME.

A tad sentimental

Removed out of respect for Crossmen alumni, members, and voluteers...

Edited by SCVsopAaron

This is the biggest news since the Dodgers moved from Brooklyn to L.A. That leaves only two DI corps in the Northeast - BAC and Hoppy's. A region that was once a junior corps powerhouse has now become a backwater of DCI :(

Sorry, but I disagree. I'd hardly call Spartans, East Coast Jazz, Jersey Surf and Raiders "backwater". Sure they are in Div II and III, but have you seen them? Spartans and ECJ would be fighting for a spot in semi's most years if they were in Div I. Surf is amazing for part time drum corps. Raiders have been a fantastic Div III corps for years, and the past two years marched part of the season without a DM (very successfully too). No, there are not as many Div I finalists from the east coast as there once were, but there are some very competitive units in Div II/III. There is also some amazing all-age corps there as well.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

Just some info that you guys might find useful...

1. Do a youtube search for "Reagan Band"... They're pretty smokin'...

2. This is the Reagan Band's website... http://www.sareaganband.com/band/

3. Here's a virtual tour of their school... http://www.neisd.net/camp/campipix/007/reaganvideo.htm GREAT facility...

4. This is their football stadium... http://www.neisd.net/camp/campipix/blossom...adium_lores.htm

Just a start... :-)

It is not THEIR stadium; it is the stadium they play in. It is North East ISD stadium which is shared by 6 high schools including Churchill HS and former powerhouse McArthur HS.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

Did you ever in your wildest drum corps dream think that drum corps could move like the Baltimore Colts did? Did I miss out on all the big money somewhere? Geez.

Speaking totally from the outside, I had been getting the impression that Crossmen were more like a minor-league team for The Cadets.

I don't know anything about this Mark Chambers guy, but I hope he is intending to do more with the Crossmen than just run a summer band program. I wouldn't say it is too inspiring that YEA will be helping with the staff, since they are totally responsible for the staff that put them on the field last year. As entertained as some may have been by that show, it had no chance of putting them into Finals.

A big misconception among many is Crossmen perceived as a feeder corps for the Cadets. Not so. Very, very few Crossmen have bacome Cadets....in fact, more of them have become members of Blue Devils. At the initial YEA audition, a kid had the choice of auditioning for Cadets, Crossmen, or both. Many select both. Yes, it IS true that many who were pretty good but cut at Cadets ended up with Crossmen....not a bad thing. There are kids who are cut every year at auditions for every top 5 contender, yet end up marching with another finalist. There were also kids who only wanted to be Cadets...period, and some who only wanted to be Crossmen....period.

You are right that the future is definitely uncertain....I'm an alum, and former staffer, so I hope they survive, but I will miss the corps' identity as an Eastern corps........GB